1st permission granted, now what...

rfaatalrashid

Hi guys. A gentleman just gave me exclusive permission to hunt his property. Probably 3 or 4 acres. Englishmen have technically been within less than a 1/2 mile vicinity of the area since probably about 1680's. Old topos show white space for the specific grid, however, until 1950s. Since then, there have been a few types of businesses in the lone building there - gas station, restaurant, marine supply, et al - but all failed. The only old satellite imagery available is in 1970, showing just what ive explained. There is presumably much trash near the building. There is also a surrounding woods. Even parking island and curb strips, to boot. Question now is...how do I proceed to search it? Creeper slow, methodical grid, or fast for situational/topographical awareness? I wasn't expecting rights, much less exclusive ones, to a cool property like this, and now I'm overwhelmed lol. Any advice would be appreciated. Ps. Posted this in how to use your detector first, then thought this was probably the better location. Hope this didn't violate any forum rules....

I don't have much experience in virgin sites, but I would scout the entire property to see if there are any signs of old structures, pre-dating the commercial development. Foundations, areas with lots of iron signals, etc. I'm sure you will get more suggestions. Good luck, and get out there before the weeds start growing.

Now what

If it were me, I would start a quick search from the outside working in. Take note of the type of trash/treasure you find. Then start a more thorough search of the areas with the oldest items. Leave really trashy areas till last so you don't waste a lot of your time recovering junk. Since you are not limited to where you search within those boundaries, The clearer areas are likely to be the areas where you might find those old and deep targets. Congratulations on getting the permission and good luck.:yes:

Stake off small parcels and grid search them thoroughly. Once you get underway it doesn't seem so overwhelming of a task to complete. Good luck!

beephead

Stake off small parcels and grid search them thoroughly. Once you get underway it doesn't seem so overwhelming of a task to complete. Good luck!

beephead
Wait...i always thought u guys meant imagine a grid while searching. But so u mean literally take twine and stakes and grid it off like THAT? A la archaeology style? How big of a gridsquare?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

1st. I like to walk the property and look at the vegetation and landscape. Look for flowers sprouting up and certain trees that might indicate an old site.
Then start detecting in the spot that seems right. Good luck.

Just head over there, and wander around swinging the coil... it will take you some time but you will be able to start getting a sense of the land and where you want to focus your time.

Good luck!

My very first permission was an old converted school house. I was so excited, I showed up every day. Not good ! Overstayed my welcome. After awhile they just weren't " comfortable " . Learned my lesson and passing it on. Don't make my mistake.

If away from other buildings, homes, ect then it might not hurt to stake out the edges .. with small flags on the lines. Too much stuff might draw too much attention. Be slow and patient; rarely does the good stuff come too fast. Take a few days off between visits ... more time off if neighbors are closer. When you recover good stuff try not to yell or act like the bozo's on TV ... that really won't help the cause. Enjoy!

Good Luck to you.
You'll figure it out.
Great suggestions above
Keep us posted!
HH

Same here!

Be sure to walk the property first.

Be on the lookout for the types of signs that our members mentioned above.

Be safe too. Look out for dangers like old wells.

Back
Top Bottom