Tesoro tuning?

HistoryStudent

I see posts where people talk about how Tesoro can do some kind of "tuning" on their machines -as in, Tesoro factory tunes their detectors for the coil that ships with the detectors. Or, something about tuning the coil when you send your used machine in for a checkup.

What does that mean exactly?

The reason I'm asking is because I was thinking of buying a Nel Sharpshooter for a Golden uMax but I don't want to spend that kind of money on a coil that the detector can't properly use because it's out of tune.

I've never owned a Tesoro before so much of this is new to me. I'm used to my AT Pro and T2 which can work great with different coils without any issues.

Thanks for your help

From what I've read...(no personal experience for this), on the tesoro's with a preset ground balance, like a silver micromax for example, if you want to change coils, for the best performance the internal ground balance pot needs to be tweaked to the coil your changing to. Maybe someone with more Tesoro knowledge will chime in.

Tuning

Let me know if I'm off base, for me tuning a Tesoro is ground balancing, sensitivity, discrimination, etc to get the best detecting for the situation. I have the stock coil on my Vaquero, but if I had a different coil the best settings might be different.

I don't think Tesoro will tune one of their detectors to an aftermarket coil.

That's would be correct. Also the Golden µMax very rarely works correctly when you switch search coil without it being sent to factory and having the search coil match up to the detector. So any after market search coils for a Golden is a big no no.

beephead

I got a Tesoro Cibola black edition that came with a great coil already. Now I thoroughly enjoy using a Tesoro with a 5.75" coil, it's just that good!

Getting the GB mod done so I could get the full potential out of it was a no-brainer IMO. It was relatively easy to have done and I've never had a Tesoro fail on me, where I had to send it in.

Does the Golden have a retune toggle like my Silver Sabre II does ? Where you can retune the pin point or retune the coil to a normal tuning afterwards or no ?

I believe that they adjust the machine to the coil, to get a good null so that it is as sensitive as possible.

Does the Golden have a retune toggle like my Silver Sabre II does ? Where you can retune the pin point or retune the coil to a normal tuning afterwards or no ?

I searched it myself. The answer is no. Disregard my post, it doesn't pertain to this machine.

It is said that they tune it for the stock coil that comes with it. Should you want to primarily designate a different size coil, it can be sent in and tuned to that specific coil, rather than its original stock coil. The question is, Would you even notice any difference ? Has anyone ever sent it in to be retuned to a specific coil ?

I would think that if an aftermarket coil was made for a certain detector, the coil should already be tuned to work with that detector.

That's would be correct. Also the Golden µMax very rarely works correctly when you switch search coil without it being sent to factory and having the search coil match up to the detector. So any after market search coils for a Golden is a big no no.

beephead

That doesn't seem right. The compadre's coil cannot be removed without a modification but the Golden has a screw on connector which should mean that I could swap coils on it. It comes standard with a 9x8 epsilon coil but Tesoro also makes other sized coils that I thought would work without having to send it back to the factory for a retune.

Also, Nel makes coils that they say are compatible with Tesoro machines that use 5-pin epsilon coils. As with most coil swaps, a restart and ground balance is assumed and I DO understand that I would likely have to open the detector and make ground balance adjustments by hand but is there anything beyond the ground balance that would need to be retuned? I'm not talking about sensitivity or threshold. I mean something inside the case like the GB adjuster.

Thanks for your help

I believe that they adjust the machine to the coil, to get a good null so that it is as sensitive as possible.

Do you mean Ground Balance? If so, I could open the machine and adjust the ground balance myself. Right? I was planning to do this anyway since I will mostly be using it the same location for the next several months or longer.

That doesn't seem right. The compadre's coil cannot be removed without a modification but the Golden has a screw on connector which should mean that I could swap coils on it. It comes standard with a 9x8 epsilon coil but Tesoro also makes other sized coils that I thought would work without having to send it back to the factory for a retune.

Also, Nel makes coils that they say are compatible with Tesoro machines that use 5-pin epsilon coils. As with most coil swaps, a restart and ground balance is assumed and I DO understand that I would likely have to open the detector and make ground balance adjustments by hand but is there anything beyond the ground balance that would need to be retuned? I'm not talking about sensitivity or threshold. I mean something inside the case like the GB adjuster.

Thanks for your help

Trust me on this one! When it comes to the Golden µMax I've tried several Tesoro search coils and a NEL Sharpshooter search coil on the Golden and some worked better than others. The NEL didn't work worth a !!!! on the Golden, but works well on my other Tesoro detectors. For the Golden to work as it should it's super critical that it's matched perfectly with the search coil. I've been there and done that, but if you need to learn the hard way like I did, go ahead. LOL

beephead

Do you know how they match it to the coil? What they adjust? Is it something only they can do because it requires special equipment or something?

I believe they tune the receiving coil to match the transmitting coil freq, but I don't know exactly how this is achieved, if they have to change the windings on one or both coils, or if there is a small adjustment trimmer somewhere inside.
My understanding is that it's done with the coil part of the detector.

Back
Top Bottom