I know it's a no-no but I cleaned/polished a large cent in the tumbler.

mrhelton

I dug up this toasted large cent at my grandparent's house in southern Ohio. I decided to run it through the tumbler for 24 hours with water, a drop of Dawn dish soap, and ceramic tumbling BBs.

It doesn't look natural or anything, but it's very readable. Probably won't really do this with any other coins I care about, but thought the results were interesting and worth posting.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 1,016
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 1,015
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 1,004
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 1,018
If you weren't going to sell it, an just keep for yourself to display. Nothing wrong with cleaning. I think it turned out great, good details.

Let's face it... 99.999% of the copper and nickels we dig aren't worth a dime due to condition unless it's a rare coin. Why not clean them before putting them in your finds book. Looks good. Nice job!

I would have cleaned it also. I'm not in this hobby for the money ,It's all about the HUNT for me. I would want to SEE the coin also !!

i like it..looks good... im surprised no one mentioned the 5 looks to be double stamped...those later large cents seem to have deeper detail and are more forgiving than the early ones....

It is your now. Do with it as you see fit. I do the same with the coins I find. I never intend to sell the coins I find just display them.

I use a sos pad on all my large cents, as most come from fields and are normally crusty from the fertilizers, they look just like your tumbled one after 5 minutes of scrubbing, i think it looks great

I have purchased ones in worse shape just to complete a collection. It looks just fine for a 170 year old coin. Good job making it more presentable.

Back
Top Bottom