Tumbler vs. Vibration Bowl

GetDiggin

Forum Supporter
Hi all,

Just like the title says, which is better for cleaning my modern clad coins?

This Tumbler

Or

This Vibration Bowl

Also does anyone actually BUY tumbling mix? Or just use pea gravel and sand, I know with my old tumbler I used pea gravel and dawn dish soap, but recently a friend mentioned pea gravel and sand, so figured I would ask. My old tumbler broke last year and now I have accumulated enough clad to need to clean it so wanted to know if I should just make or buy a tumbler or if I should change tactics and go with a Vibration Bowl.

Thanks,
Rich

I tried using my vibratory cleaner but it didn't do anything for my crusty clad. I bought a rotary tumbler and it works great! Use aquarium gravel and a few drops of dish soap. It will work better if you have a 1/4" screen to help remove the coins from the gravel.

Have tried both

The rotating tumbler is best for more aggressive cleaning on stubborn crust and can polish also with the right media. The vibrating tumbler will polish faster and more gently. Primary cleaning is far less effective though.

I'm doing this for the 1st time right now. Approx how long should I leave it run?

Check it every few hours until you get a feel for how long you need. I always have a few in every batch that have to go back into the next cleaning group.

Fastest cleaning time will be when you have the tumbler barrel half full. You don't need a lot of gravel either, just a handful works. If you over-fill the barrel, there isn't enough room for everything to really tumble.

I put my coins in the tumbler, fill with water to cover the coins and add a squirt of dishwashing soap. The coins act as a media to clean your coins. After a while, check the coins. The water will be very dark looking. replace the water and tumble once again. I usually leave mine on for a few hours. I tried the vibratory once but it didn't do too well. I use that one for brass.

I had extra aquarium gravel lying around and that's what I use when I tumble.

The Harbor Freight 5 lb metal vibrator/tumbler warns to not use water based media in the tumbler. For cleaning coins, I recommend the HF rock tumbler with aquarium gravel and Conklin cleaner. Coins come out sparkling.

I use a vibrating tumbler. I use the green pyramid shaped green plastic media. Add water to the mix and let it run for about an hour. Works decent enough. Last night I tossed my clad in there and my 1919 merc (not realizing at the time). Turned it on then fell asleep in my chair. 3 hours later I woke up, ran (yes RAN) for the slucebox (as we call it), and pulled everything out. Did an awesome cleaning job to the merc. Was really surprised :D

Before I fell asleep: uploadfromtaptalk1406059073638.jpguploadfromtaptalk1406059088492.jpg

After I woke up (3 hours later):uploadfromtaptalk1406059132778.jpguploadfromtaptalk1406059142747.jpg

I use a HF dual drum, with Cascade dish powder and broken glass pieces, it works awesome!!

<*)))>{

I use a vibrating tumbler. I use the green pyramid shaped green plastic media. Add water to the mix and let it run for about an hour. Works decent enough. Last night I tossed my clad in there and my 1919 merc (not realizing at the time). Turned it on then fell asleep in my chair. 3 hours later I woke up, ran (yes RAN) for the slucebox (as we call it), and pulled everything out. Did an awesome cleaning job to the merc. Was really surprised :D

Where did you find the pyramid media. I used to have some ceramic pyramid media that worked great on coins but I can't find it anymore.

Cleaned it but destroyed the grade it was in

i just bought my HF 3Lbs tumbler today they were on sale with add'l coupon gt my for $36...am gonna try it tomorrow. gravel rocks+dish soap is all am gonna need. i dont have much crusty coins just dirty tarnished ones...

I tried using my vibratory cleaner but it didn't do anything for my crusty clad. I bought a rotary tumbler and it works great!
I'm late on this one. But what he said. I even tried breaking up some porcelain and using it in a vibratory cleaner. The tumbler is the only way to go unless you are knocking off sharp corners on cut metal:lol:

Back
Top Bottom