I'm Going Diving!!

Hopefully its never been detected before. GOOD LUCK!

The water in the crater is about 65 feet deep and an 8–14 foot deep layer of silt covers the bottom of the crater.

There is an ongoing archaeological project that works to retrieve items from the silt that have been lost or thrown down into the crater over hundreds of years. Artifacts retrieved include firearms and coins.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homestead_caldera

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZBguwU-Wh-s

EDIT: In the video they say the bottom is sandy.

It is 45 minutes away from me and the next city Northwest.

Thanks for the info Irons. I need to see if they let divers go alone and if they allow detecting. At least when I come out my hair won't freeze.

An adventure awaits I hope

Sounds Great

Hmm is this considered a cave in scuba terms? Do you have to be cave/cavern certified to dive it? Sounds like a really cool place.

Hmm is this considered a cave in scuba terms? Do you have to be cave/cavern certified to dive it? Sounds like a really cool place.

No it won't be considered a cave that I know of. Caves go off in all directions. No intention of doing that. I just want to hit the bottom and explore. I won't know till I call them on Monday. I am babysitting my grandchildren till tomorrow.

Heck Yeah! Lets say they 'dont allow detecting' You know good and well you could hand fan up some stuff in the likely drop zones!! You might have to have a little pouch hidden inside your wetsuit though...I bet that bottom is a clad/jewelry carpet! Unless the owners drop in there and give it a cleaning every so often....You know they would? Report back!
Mud

Just curious as I don't know about the diving procedures but would a dive that deep require you to slowly ascend to avoid the bends?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A cave is an overhead environment where you can no longer see the entrance. A cavern is an overheard environment where the entrance is still in site.

this is a sink-hole and open on the top so no overhead at all. It is basically a warm version of the Blue Hole in Santa Rosa, NM. Fun to do once in a while, but boring overall. It would be be fun to detect but it sounds like it's already been hit pretty good.

Just curious as I don't know about the diving procedures but would a dive that deep require you to slowly ascend to avoid the bends?

EVERY dive is a decompression dive, it just depends on how much and how fast. But a 65ft dive would not require staged deco stop unless you had a LOT of air available to dive with. All dives require controlled ascents.

Yes, although at that depth IIRC the ascent should be about two minutes. Also, technically, at 65', going to the bottom would require an Advanced Open Water cert. (by 5')

Sounds like a fun dive, especially this time of year.
Best of luck there Bob, I can't wait to see what you find.

Yes, although at that depth IIRC the ascent should be about two minutes. Also, technically, at 65', going to the bottom would require an Advanced Open Water cert. (by 5')

No. No it doesn't REQUIRE any cert at all. Your basic OW training is all the training you need to plan and execute dives within any NDL which includes dives over 100' deep.

You don't even NEED any certs at all. The only difficult part today is getting an air fill without a cert card. No certs required to buy anything, no cert required to jump in the water with scuba gear.

Back
Top Bottom