So excited

Nrose

Hi everyone. Brand new to metal detecting. Have so many questions. I'm newly retired and my children, knowing I love adventure, decided to buy me a metal detector for my retirement I have been getting to know my detector, Garrett Ace 350 and Garrett pro pointer, by practicing in my yard. A 1930's home. Found 2 clad quarters, 1 clad dime, a lot of iron parts, 1 rail road spike, old garden shovel, most of the iron is so heavily encrusted there's no way to identify them. The funny thing is those clad coins, no earlier than 1956 were found six inches deep in the yard. I'm just so excited about M.D. I'm quite shy, however to ask to hunt on someone's property. hoping to learn as much as I can from all of you. :yes:

Congrats on your new detector and welcome to the forum and the hobby from NE Texas. I am sure it's just a typo but a clad coin would be considered 1965 and newer not 1956. If you have a 1956 quarter it would be 90% silver.

asking for permission

Welcome to MD and to the forum.
Hey, you're excited about your new hobby. That's great! Tell everybody you know that you are metal detecting and ask them if they know of any good places, i.e., old, or where lots of people gathered. Or if they have family/friends who own property with old home sites that they could ask for you?
Start researching to locate your own sites such as old school buildings that were torn down, abandoned, or are now in use in some other capacity. Old fair grounds, tent revival sites, open air markets, produce stand locations. Old taverns.
Don't talk about finding valuables. Tell them you enjoy finding the occasional coin that may have been dropped, and that you like finding "old stuff." And that you WILL remove all trash that you find and dispose of it properly. And that you almost always find much more trash than you do coins and old stuff.
Several of the folks you know will be glad to help you find places to detect if you just ask for their help.
Again, welcome, and Happy Hunting!

Hello from KC, MO. Ncwayne gave some very good advice and you can learn much more about your Ace and detecting in general from this forum. Most people here are very knowledgeable and willing to share their experience. You must have some very nice kids to get you both a good detector and pin pointer. GL and HH.

Very nice setup that they bought you. You should do well with it, have fun, it's an addicting hobby. I became addicted at age 10, and 23 years later I'm still hooked more than ever haha.

One word of advice, always keep the coil parallel to the ground, even at the end of your swing, also keep it as low as possible to the ground, skimming along the grass or dirt. A lot of new people make the mistake of swinging to high, or swinging up at the end of their swing this will make you miss targets. The coil should never be more then an inch above the surface at anytime during your swing. Also try to keep a medium paced swing, going to fast or slow can make you miss targets.

Welcome from Pennsylvania. It's awesome to see your enthusiasm and excitement. It can only grow the more you get out and start finding things. Happy Hunting!!

Welcome, run in all metal mode and dig everything you can until you understand in depth how your machine respond to your swing, and how you understand the tones. Guess before you dig if it is trash or not.

On iffy signals swing just a bit slower and also rotate 90 degrees and swing again for repeatable signals.

Remember you machine does not have esp, Metal detectors tell you what they believe the objects is, so don't get frustrated when the "silver dollar" turns out to be a piece of aluminum can.

Big Treble, I have found more trash than treasure for sure. I'm having fun thinking what these pieces and parts went to or were used for. Couldn't help myself and went MD in the snow. Found Multiple coins in the snow bank. I just can't wait to get out this spring !

Welcome from w. Tennessee. All good advice above, don't give up and don't get discouraged. Just go out and have fun.

Hi

Hi and welcome from Pepperell Ma. You have a good machine, and live in a history rich area. You have many good finds in your future. Artie

Back
Top Bottom