Minelab E-Trac Field Reports

I'm digging rusty barbed wire that's over 100 years old out of this park before it was a park. Nine inches down and it sounds just like a coin from four different directions. I don't think all metal is going to help me much. Seriously, unless you've experienced hunting in Oklahoma, you will NEVER know what we deal with out here.

Rusty iron that sounds like coins??are you sure your machine is working ok??Iron shouldnt sound like coins.Thats strange soil You have there..Maybe the Ferrous sounds will help you seperate the iron Better..iron will sound like a low grunt,,coins will be High pitched flute.

Deep Iron and deep coins are very easily confused with most deep running detectors. Especially with the use of lower frequencies. On the contrary, a good sign that your going to hit that deep silver when you come across it is that you are digging an occasional chunk of wire or nail at the same depths. This means the detector is working just as it should.:yes:

Keep Swing'in
Jack

Deep Iron and deep coins are very easily confused with most deep running detectors. Especially with the use of lower frequencies. On the contrary, a good sign that your going to hit that deep silver when you come across it is that you are digging an occasional chunk of wire or nail at the same depths. This means the detector is working just as it should.:yes:

Keep Swing'in
Jack

Very well put Mr. CyberSage.
I concur.:yes:
Flapjack

Rusty iron that sounds like coins??are you sure your machine is working ok??Iron shouldnt sound like coins.Thats strange soil You have there..Maybe the Ferrous sounds will help you seperate the iron Better..iron will sound like a low grunt,,coins will be High pitched flute.

Machine is working great. Pulling wheats at 7" to 8" no problem. I take it you don't deal with small, deep iron much where you are. It's as common as dirt around here. There used to be oil derricks all over this place. Several square yards of area will null out. This is what it used to look like. http://myweb.cableone.net/gmeador/images/carrels/bvil1907.jpg

I live in NY state.I have some of the oldest area in the counrty to hunt.I deal with heavy iron all the time,Thats why i Suggested all metal with ferrous sounds!Plz feel free to look at my vids on Youtube if u wanna see deep targets,Many in iron drenched locations.If u use conductive sounds its to hard to seperate iron,it sounds the same as coins when its deep.Sorry to hear its so dry where u are,it wont stop raining here.Happy Hunting

Took my E-Trac loaner out for its first spin in the field last night. I took it up to the most challenging spot I know. It is an old school and this one area is literally covered with trash. With every detector I have used up there the threshold is virtually nulled for each swing, no matter how slow you go. It is mostly old iron junk and a sea of pull tabs.

I have hunted this patch numerous times with several different detectors including the V3. When I took the V3 up there I hunted this area pretty hard trying it out in difficult conditions. I did manage to pull so clad dimes and a good number of nickels on that trip with the V3. So, I thought this would be a good test to see what the V3 left behind that the E-Trac could pick since high trash hunting is its thing.

Anyway, I spent about an hour and a half working this patch and did manage to pull one clad dime at 4" that had been masked before. It was right in between two large iron targets and only gave a little chirp on the swing. I was able to swing back and bring up a good signal by doing a little wiggling.

That was it for good stuff. I did also dig a couple tabs that sounded like nickels, a few rusted wiring staples that sounded like dimes and half a toy car that sounded like a quarter. Not to impressive I guess, but I am still learning the machine, first time in the field and all. I have to admit, I was impressed on how it pulled that dime that I know was masked with the V3 before.

Dave

I have to admit, I was impressed on how it pulled that dime that I know was masked with the V3 before.

One of the advantages of a detector designed to go slow. Could the V3 have been adjusted to do a slow sweep and found the dime? Hard to tell.

Good report. This is the stuff I am interested in. I really am not impressed that one of these new detectors has found a number of great finds at lightly hit locations. I am impressed when they are taken to those hard hit well worked sites, and a detector brings it back to life.

Took my E-Trac loaner out for its first spin in the field last night. I took it up to the most challenging spot I know. It is an old school and this one area is literally covered with trash. With every detector I have used up there the threshold is virtually nulled for each swing, no matter how slow you go. It is mostly old iron junk and a sea of pull tabs.

I have hunted this patch numerous times with several different detectors including the V3. When I took the V3 up there I hunted this area pretty hard trying it out in difficult conditions. I did manage to pull so clad dimes and a good number of nickels on that trip with the V3. So, I thought this would be a good test to see what the V3 left behind that the E-Trac could pick since high trash hunting is its thing.

Anyway, I spent about an hour and a half working this patch and did manage to pull one clad dime at 4" that had been masked before. It was right in between two large iron targets and only gave a little chirp on the swing. I was able to swing back and bring up a good signal by doing a little wiggling.

That was it for good stuff. I did also dig a couple tabs that sounded like nickels, a few rusted wiring staples that sounded like dimes and half a toy car that sounded like a quarter. Not to impressive I guess, but I am still learning the machine, first time in the field and all. I have to admit, I was impressed on how it pulled that dime that I know was masked with the V3 before.

Dave
New etrac owner myself. Going to old school yard that is FULL of trash. Needless to say I am discriminating pretty hard. And still trash. Have to say that so far I am impressed with machine. Found a dime at 8+ inches in dry ground and dime was in between pull tabs and other assorted junk. Signal was very good and stood out from the trash. Found several pennies in trashy area, no problem telling they were good. However, they were pretty shallow. 1 to 4". Dug several junkers from 12 + inches, which tells me machine will go deep. And when I say dry ground, I mean dry ground.
I think as I learn this machine things will only get better. Will be going back to same area when it rains. Got several "iffy" deep signals, but ground is too dadgum hard to be digging deep now. Not to mention it is hot here in South Arkansas.

Here you go detector.....brought back to life.....

One of the advantages of a detector designed to go slow. Could the V3 have been adjusted to do a slow sweep and found the dime? Hard to tell.

Good report. This is the stuff I am interested in. I really am not impressed that one of these new detectors has found a number of great finds at lightly hit locations. I am impressed when they are taken to those hard hit well worked sites, and a detector brings it back to life.

http://www.findmall.com/read.php?63,1005303

Just ordered my New E-Trac last night from NWIDetectors.The guy tossed in a X-1 probe,grey ghost headset and a lesch digger.Larry is the guy who runs it and he is one nice fella .Was a real pleasure talking to him and he gave a great deal.Look forward to posting some hunting results soon ! :)

Just ordered my New E-Trac last night from NWIDetectors.The guy tossed in a X-1 probe,grey ghost headset and a lesch digger.Larry is the guy who runs it and he is one nice fella .Was a real pleasure talking to him and he gave a great deal.Look forward to posting some hunting results soon ! :)

Look forward to seeing some vids with your new E-trac. Enjoyed the ones you made with the SE!

Look forward to seeing some vids with your new E-trac. Enjoyed the ones you made with the SE!
Thx steve :)Its really hard sometimes digging a hole and filming it ,but i like to show the whole thing,lets you be as surprised as i am when it pops out.The SE is in nevada still or id be making some new vids alrdy :) take care JIM

I would really like to see some more E-Trac stories and finds. Anyone having any luck with lower conductive targets such as Nickels or old gold rings? I am getting closer to making a purchase.

Keep Swing'in
Jack

Here you go Jack.....The machine is dead on everytime with a nickle!

Went to an old old park in a small town about 50 miles away today. It was cloudy, not hot, and short showers a couple of times over the two and a half hours I was there. I've hunted this park several times with the 705 and did alright. Where I was hunting at I was hunting the exact same place I'd already hunted before. Good test for me, and the ET shined. Only difference they had taken up the old asphalt basketball court that had been there for over 50 yrs and it was scraped dirt. Might I add, not any moisture in that long either and as hard as I've ever seen any dirt in my life. So I hunted the outline of the court and a little outfield of the old baseball diamond like I had done with the other machine. Got the Rosie at 9" and the Merc at 7-8". Got some good depth for the very dry conditions with most of the coins. So dry and hard was the ground I couldn't get the ground shark to go but 2-3 inches with my big tail standing on it at a time. Now this was my maiden voyage with my Garrett Pro Pointer too, great day what a difference!!!! I've been sifting through the dirt with the trowel to find the targets. People should buy one of these before they buy their first detector. Funny thing is not a wheatie in the bunch. Here's the pics
2009_0729ETracWashington0017.jpg

2009_0729ETracWashington0018.jpg

2009_0729ETracWashington0021.jpg

No joke there. One nice thing about gold is that the FE number stays on 12 regardless of it being 10k or 14k. The CO will be different depending on the size of the ring and possibly because of the composition (i.e. 10k, 14k or 18k). The only sad thing is, aluminum tabs and junk respond the same way...

I would really like to see some more E-Trac stories and finds. Anyone having any luck with lower conductive targets such as Nickels or old gold rings? I am getting closer to making a purchase.

Keep Swing'in
Jack
Ill try and get out this week,ill film some nickle digs for us :)Ill try to show how they hit and such the best i can.HH

A bunch of places to hunt.......The E Trac is one bad machine!

I recieved permission to hunt quite a few properties today, I'll keep what they are to myself for obvious reasons. One of them, the one I hunted for an hour and a half is loaded with coins. I found 3 dimes, 2 nickles, 1 wheatie, and 15 zincons in a place about the size of a small car! There is a lot of trash from over many many years of 24 hr use but the E Trac hunted the coins out. I dug trash in probably half the holes. One of the nickles was at a good 11-12"s and had some trash in two places on the way down to the target. I've got to get out my camera and record some of this digging, I'm slap blown away. Now the good stuff............I was hunting to begin with in regular default coin mode. Lots of nulling and a couple of pennies for about half hour. I kept getting whisper signals or what I thought were signals then nulling. I adjusted the detector to high trash density, that helped some. I went into the difficult ground mode which would help in the dirt I was digging in. Mr Sabisch says any ground that in auto sensitivity would only read 22 or less needs this, it would help performance markedly. Now with the amount of trash that is in this dirt I turned the machines recovery to fast for a lot less down time processing as all machines have to do. After a few minutes of letting the coil glide across the cut grass slowly I had great tones jumping out at me and good target ID's. The machine ran faster and deeper and the nulling was very very short enabling me to with a slight movement of the coil determine where the coins were, and real good accurate depth readings. I'm really amazed at how with my coil movements that it locked on and let me know what was there. One of the spots 12X12" thereabouts had 4 coins in it and trash being discriminated out all in the dirt! Very slight movements of the coil like I said at different angles was sending me tones and TID that was dead on. I'll have to say if you ain't got one and are right before picking up the phone, "You won't be sorry one bit". This is with the standard factory pro coil too.........................

Once the temps come down a bit here, I plan on getting out to the old hotel site again with the 6x8 SEF. I've been wanting to play with the FAST setting myself in the heavy trash there. Supposed to be in the 100's for the next few days... :no:

Back
Top Bottom