The MOTHER of all Plat...(updated with pics and results)

18kRonin

Forum Supporter
7 hours in, digging flutey wavering Excal tones, a couple of good keepers already in the pouch and finding it hard to keep a tight grid (was starting to lose all sense of direction from getting pushed around by waves for too long) so headed in for a break, got to knee deep water and got another hard to centre flutey Minelab tone 3 scoops and whatever it was, was in the scoop didn't sound that good sounding off in the high gold range and a bit too big to be true BUT looked in the scoop and holy sheet!!! What I saw floored me couldn't believe what I was looking at a Honker no!!! a Monster no!!! Bigger than a Monster so for lack of a better work decided to call it "Frederick" from Patti Smiths song "Frederick". "All the dreams I've waited for... Frederick your the one". Anyway you had to be there :lol:

http://youtu.be/0up7LlExhIo

At first sight thought it was gold from the design as I had gotten a couple in the past but smaller, then after a closer look found it just had a rusty gold and green tarnish and under that was silvery grey but too heavy to be sliver so headed back to the car for a closer look and found an 850 stamp WOW!!! Plat baby 38g of the stuff. By this time I needed something to still my beating heart so wolfed down a bowl of rice topped with the best marinated steak I've ever tasted and headed back to the water hunting for another 4 hours finding 2 more good keepers till I'd covered all the beach and headed home.

Went to sleep thinking about it and woke up 6 hours later still thinking about it. Never thought I'd find a ring bigger than last winter's find.

http://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=173888

BIG Plat crossed off the bucket list and find a ring bigger than Frederick put in it's place. Probably never happen but you never know. I'll clean it up and post the pics later.

Might take me a little while to get over this stellar find please bear with me :lol:

Thanks for viewing,
HH&GL

Last edited:
7 hours in, digging flutey wavering Excal tones, a couple of good keepers already in the pouch and finding it hard to keep a tight grid (was starting to lose all sense of direction from getting pushed around by waves for too long) so headed in for a break, got to knee deep water and got another hard to centre flutey Minelab tone 3 scoops and whatever it was, was in the scoop didn't sound that good sounding off in the high gold range and a bit too big to be true BUT looked in the scoop and holy sheet!!! What I saw floored me couldn't believe what I was looking at a Honker no!!! a Monster no!!! Bigger than a Monster so for lack of a better work decided to call it "Frederick" from Patti Smiths song "Frederick". "All the dreams I've waited for... Frederick your the one". Anyway you had to be there :lol:

http://youtu.be/0up7LlExhIo

At first sight thought it was gold from the design as I had gotten a couple in the past but smaller, then after a closer look found it just had a rusty gold and green tarnish and under that was silvery grey but too heavy to be sliver so headed back to the car for a closer look and found an 850 stamp WOW!!! Plat baby 38g of the stuff. By this time I needed something to still my beating heart so wolfed down a bowl of rice topped with the best marinated steak I've ever tasted and headed back to the water hunting for another 4 hours finding 2 more good keepers till I'd covered all the beach and headed home.

Went to sleep thinking about it and woke up 6 hours later still thinking about it. Never thought I'd find a ring bigger than last winter's find.

http://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=173888

BIG Plat crossed off the bucket list and find a ring bigger than Frederick put in it's place. Probably never happen but you never know. I'll clean it up and post the pics later.

Might take me a little while to get over this stellar find please bear with me :lol:

Thanks for viewing,
HH&GL

nice job

Holy sheet is right :shock: That's an insane ring. Big congrats on the plat attack! $1415.43 spot plat prices. Any markings for the size of the diamond?

Was looking for some motivation to get out there and hunt tonight, this will do!

Congrats on the big fat plat.

You beauty! 18k. Was that a respect for the old folks holiday hunt?
Glad to see you're still out there mate!

I've dreamed of that same ring, Congrats. I am planning on having a jeweler here custom make a 25 gram Platinum replacement wedding band for me next spring. I was thinking 25 grams was pushing being to big, but I guess not, Go Big or Go Home!!!!

Back
Top Bottom