CZ-21 Woes Continue...

FelixtheCat

A Moderating Knight of the Round Coil
Super Mod
Forum Supporter
Well I got the 9V battery holder replacement and connected it and it wouldn’t power on so something was amiss. There’s a teacher at my school who’s an electronics whiz :smart:whose built his own home made pi machine and offered to take a look at my detector. I took it to him yesterday. He re-soldered all my connections and made them cleaner and sealed the base connection that goes into the main control box. He powered on the machine but he said it was erratic. He asked me for permission to open up the rest of the unit, and I gave it to him since I had nothing to lose. It turns out some water entered the main electronics and he said that it smelled like rotten eggs when he opened it up. There are silica gel packets contained inside which he said are designed to take up moisture from pressure and temperature changes. As you can see by the pics, it took in water and there’s some damage to a circuit. :( The front gasket that’s under the controls was dry according to him and its his opinion that there should’ve been some “residual sealer” that he should’ve seen. How water got in to a compartment that it’s supposed and designed to not go into is upsetting to me.:confused: Now it’s off to Fisher on Monday and be at their mercy for the cost. :surrender::sadbye:

Attachments

• CZ 1.jpg
    CZ 1.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 222
  • CZ 2.jpg
    CZ 2.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 227
  • CZ 3.jpg
    CZ 3.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 225
Last edited:
Sorry for your misfortune! Don't take up farming - sounds like you and I have similar luck! Hopefully Fisher will make it right for a reasonable fee...

Sorry to hear it Felix. If it is under warranty, hopefully a case can be made that the main controls weren't properly sealed. I know you had to fix the battery compartment in the past, and now the main controls have been accessed, so you're probably at Fisher's mercy. If they scrap it, make sure you get the detector back. Heck, I'll buy the lower shaft, cuff, and handle!

Good luck!

R5

Have them give you the costs to repair prior to working on it.... you may be better served buying a new one if the costs are to high... Nothing worse than finding water in a waterproof detector housing!

Good Luck and let us know how it turns out.

Cliff

Sorry to see the extra damage Felix... there is a mint GT in the classifieds ;)

I feel your pain. I hope they get you fixed up. I was considering a CZ-21 as a back up to my two Tiger Sharks looks like I'd better think again.

Either way just send it in. I'm sure repairing it will be cheaper if not covered under warranty. If you haven't sent stuff back to Fisher before be sure to call Felix and get a repair order number first.
DC

Back
Top Bottom