$6 for an Ace 150???

metalghost04

Sorry to say I got caught up on one of those pawn shop shows on tv while flipping through the channels, saw a guy trying to sell the pawn shop a Garrett ace 150 for 150 bucks, the guy at the pawn shop came back with an offer of $6 and the guy took it. I guess the general public really does know nothing about metal detectors!

Makes me think it was probably hot to start with. If the guy bought it he probably wouldn't just give it away.

I used to work in a pawn shop I'd have to say a metal detector is in the top 5 items that take forever to sell. I'd offer no more than about $20 on an ace of it came through my door. Knowing it has a high chance it would sit for about a year before selling it. Takes up shelf space that something else could sell from. Probably high chance it's stolen and they don't hold their value that well used in a pawn shop. End up selling for about $80 so that sounds about right. Having to pay some one to clean it and care for it for 6 months minimum. Make maybe $20-40 off it by the time it's all said and done

I used to work in a pawn shop I'd have to say a metal detector is in the top 5 items that take forever to sell. I'd offer no more than about $20 on an ace of it came through my door. Knowing it has a high chance it would sit for about a year before selling it. Takes up shelf space that something else could sell from. Probably high chance it's stolen and they don't hold their value that well used in a pawn shop. End up selling for about $80 so that sounds about right. Having to pay some one to clean it and care for it for 6 months minimum. Make maybe $20-40 off it by the time it's all said and done

Where is your pawn shop? Every time I have looked in a pawn shop they want more than the prices to buy new.

Where is your pawn shop? Every time I have looked in a pawn shop they want more than the prices to buy new.

Ya after you loan too much on an item where it's not picked up there are minimum margins that you need to hit to make a profit. Labour, operating costs and other overhead goes into the profit margin. So if you have too much into it you have to sell it for more. Really just bad business. Most pawn shops make 90% of their profits from the loans and the sales side is just an unfortunate side effect of doing business. Hence why I'd only lend $20 on it. It would sit in the back for 3 months collecting dust then hit the floor for 6 months probably get dropped 10 times and moved around a bunch. Then I'd finally sell it for if I'm lucky $80. But honestly it more so boils down to the customer when buying from a pawn shop most people do lay a way. Which has a ton of cost associated with it. That and I really don't care what is happening on my sales floor when I make so much more money on the other end I the business. Look at hardcore pawn there's only ever 3 customers in there trying to buy something and about 50 in line to try to get a loan. Plus it's all about the negotiation on product. Can probably barter on most items for a fraction of asking price

Ya after you loan too much on an item where it's not picked up there are minimum margins that you need to hit to make a profit. Labour, operating costs and other overhead goes into the profit margin. So if you have too much into it you have to sell it for more. Really just bad business. Most pawn shops make 90% of their profits from the loans and the sales side is just an unfortunate side effect of doing business. Hence why I'd only lend $20 on it. It would sit in the back for 3 months collecting dust then hit the floor for 6 months probably get dropped 10 times and moved around a bunch. Then I'd finally sell it for if I'm lucky $80. But honestly it more so boils down to the customer when buying from a pawn shop most people do lay a way. Which has a ton of cost associated with it. That and I really don't care what is happening on my sales floor when I make so much more money on the other end I the business. Look at hardcore pawn there's only ever 3 customers in there trying to buy something and about 50 in line to try to get a loan. Plus it's all about the negotiation on product. Can probably barter on most items for a fraction of asking price
This is all good information to know to use as leverage when negotiating if I ever come across a MD at a pawn shop I really want.

This is all good information to know to use as leverage when negotiating if I ever come across a MD at a pawn shop I really want.

Not saying all shops are like this but I imagine a lot are. I would never personally pay full price for anything at a pawn shop

I've seen both 'high dollar' pawn shops .... and ones that sell stuff at a really good deal ....

Sometimes the ones that have a higher volume can afford to sell things cheaper and keep stuff moving ...

The best one was when I guy called on the phone and said he had a Morgan silver dollar and asked what it was worth ... the guy behind the counter said, "Hold it up to the phone and let me see it." :laughing:

Back
Top Bottom