But it's so tiny.. 4th Silver for the Equinox

PanheadDan

Having got my EQ800 last Thursday, I have been losing sleep to get this thing out and learn it. Digger27 and I hit the park by my house, scored a silver Rosie spill with some memorials tucked in there. That I believe was in Feild 2 factory settings running in 5 tone. I decided I needed to go ahead and tweak my own stuff since as we've mentioned, how insane the soil is here in Bama. I fooled around with some recovery and iron bias settings, made my self listen to 50 tones, and see what happens. Hitting the trails at the old park, had a little squeaker that was repeatable, dug it up and saw a tiny little silver pin with some scrolling and a little stone. Jumping into Sunday, I got Dave and Tate, and we heading outside the city to what was an early natural fed spring resort in the day. Used heavily in the 1800's, it had probably seen even earlier travelers and settlers for Centuries based on the history. A large fire that destroyed multiple structures turn of the century, had been evident by some of the charred rocks and dirt we were seeing, and signals were not jumping out either, fighting tons of iron. We all split up a good while and I headed for a low lying area covered in ticks and poison.. While side stepping down a bank I swung and caught a scratchy 21 -22 on the Nox, plowed my shovel in and turned a chunk out. Found a small square nail, which had 2 others in the hole as well, but also seeing the small circular metallic shine, I called Tate being the nearest to me and held still. Together, I filmed and he sprayed, hoping to not reveal a beaver tail, or some other let down of a target. I had already seen a small reeded edge but was not processing any of it. Slowly it showed, Half Dime, then flipped it, 1839....! Such a tiny amazing find for us.. Seated coins are scarce in Alabama. The details and condition of this one, suspect it was dropped not long after being minted. Bucket lister for me. And my oldest coin! Still have a lot to learn with this detector, Coming from my Garrett machines. But this coin will suffice for the few months haha. Thanks for Looking!! Happy Hunting

Attachments

• IMG_8563.jpg
    IMG_8563.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 479
  • IMG_8569.jpg
    IMG_8569.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 411
  • IMG_8570.jpg
    IMG_8570.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 418
  • IMG_8560.jpg
    IMG_8560.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 421
That's a beautiful coin, and it is amazing how tiny those things are, great job pulling that beauty out of the dirt!

To have one that’s such an early year with no wear like that is a special find Dan. Seeing our countries old coinage and “specialty items” being posted just gets me primed for the next time out. It’s a treasure hunt for anyone who wants to partake,and you sir,are partaking! I’m glad you’re liking your new Minelab,they do make some machines with wizardry built right in! I only say that cuz the day I got my first one,the old coin count went off da hook! I hope you have continued great finds with it like what you have here...

Cleaning out my mother in law's place these days. Got a couple of handfulls of old coins, mostly foreign , in amongst the junk. One coin was a Canadian half dime....1910 ! What a very small coin. No wonder they're not posted so often !

To have one that’s such an early year with no wear like that is a special find Dan. Seeing our countries old coinage and “specialty items” being posted just gets me primed for the next time out. It’s a treasure hunt for anyone who wants to partake,and you sir,are partaking! I’m glad you’re liking your new Minelab,they do make some machines with wizardry built right in! I only say that cuz the day I got my first one,the old coin count went off da hook! I hope you have continued great finds with it like what you have here...

Yea so true man! This area was where the initial first hotel resided before it burned in 1866, the other that also burned down was further across the road but is more documented so the area I found this, in my opinion, was probably not the site of interest to anyone who has hunted it before. The year is not common to most i see dug from others, and the condition is amazing. Truly a special coin. Cheers bud!

Back
Top Bottom