X terra 305

president89

HI guys,

NEWB here. I've only gone out 3 times so far. Twice in my yard, and once in an old forest behind it. I found a 1956 nickel, almost right off the bat in my back yard about 4" down. Then... nothing..
So I went to the old forest down a path that's been there for years..There's some really old foundations along it, so It's got to be 100+ years old anyways.

My x terra 305 was picking up iron signals like crazy in the all metal mode. TO tone that out, I switched to mode 1 which I believe mutes the iron signals. I got a few signals, one being 1-2". I started digging. I was taking the handfuls of dirt and waving in front of the detector.. because my pinpointer hasn't gotten here yet, and nothing. I went down 8 inches.. waved the detector over it, and it still said 2". I had used the pinpointing feature and then make a fairly big hole(after not finding it where I thought it be)

The same thing happened again except this time, the signal went from 1-2" to 12"+ once I dug the hole and removed some rocks. Is that typical? Do the rocks block some of the signal? It was a pretty heavy signal. It comes up as half dollar if I throw one on the ground and wave the md over it.

I was able to find some junk. I was only digging with a home depot trowel... that I broke. Waiting for my lesche digging tool, except now I think i'm going to get one of those heavy duty digging shovels.

you might not have pinpointed good enough and the target was in one of the 'walls' of the dirt possibly. i dont even pay attention to my depth meter so i really cant help you there. id imagine that as you get closer to the target the signat gets stronger. f/s/o

you might not have pinpointed good enough and the target was in one of the 'walls' of the dirt possibly. i dont even pay attention to my depth meter so i really cant help you there. id imagine that as you get closer to the target the signat gets stronger. f/s/o

Are you saying the pinpointer on the x terra is not that accurate? I should have my garret propointer tomorrow so that'll help.

My X-Terra would do that to me too. Give a low depth readout and I'd be digging and digging and then find the object in the side of the hole. I started without a pinpointer too and then I got a Garret Pro-Pointer and it makes MDing so much easier. Just yesterday I kept getting signals showing 10 inches down when in reality the Pro-Pointer started beeping and locating the target about 3 inches down. I notice it does this when you are on a rocky surface or when the coin is just below or on top of the surface. You might have to play with the ground balancing on it. I like my 305.

I'm in a VERY rocky terrain. In a 4 inch hole i"m pulling out all sorts of rocks.. not pebbles.

Can someone explain the ground balancing. I've read how to do it, but I just don't get it. It's sounds like, it wants me to adjust the ground balance to have a high tone when away from the ground, and low when i'm almost touching it.

I was able to ground balance my machine, and coupled with a pinpointer.. i pulled 8 wheats and a silver quarter out of my backyard! The first thing I dug was the silver washington quarter since I got that propointer! The lesche digging tool made it easy as well. IF your a NEWB, don't bother with any cheap tools. I broke my first shovel in the first 2 hours. The pro-pointer is worth every penny as is my new lesche digging tool. Seriously, don't cheap out. You'll be digging in the hole for a long time without a pinpointer.

I have noticed that in rocky areas i have to turn down the sensativity a couple numbers on my 705. Also get in the habit of ground ballancing every once in a while through your hunt, found it to change in the same fields often.

Are you saying the pinpointer on the x terra is not that accurate? I should have my garret propointer tomorrow so that'll help.

no i think it has outstanding pinpointing. im just saying you might not have had it completely center when you dug, leaving the target off to the side and not in the middle of the hole.

Back
Top Bottom