NEW DETECTOR PURCHASE ADVICE

centerx

I'm going to make the plunge and I will admit it seems to be a litte overwhelming deciding what to get.

I want a nice one. I would rather have 1 nice machine instead of owning 1 so/so one and wanting another one later

The DFX and Quattro seem to constantly top my list. I have read the pro's and cons on each. Are these multi frequency detectors really better ??

I hear the DFX is hard to program. What does this mean. What makes it "hard" in comparison to a Quattro for example

Any other recommendations on detectors of this caliber that I simply may not have run across yet??

Thanks for any and all help!!

Welcome to the forum centerx. The DFX is not hard at all to program. As with any programmable device, its the unknown that can cause a person to hesitate. It took me a while to get the hang of it, but now I have no problem at all. Hardest part is learning just what the different things in the program can, and will do. Once you start learning this, things go a lot better. I play with mine all the time trying different things to see what effect it has on my hunting. Don't worry about it. Have fun.

Welcome to the forums. The DFX is far from hard to use or program. It pinpoints very well. The Quattro is a bit quirky and would take more of your time to understand and is not in my opinion better. Multi frequency seems to be the way to go these days but the debate continues as to whether or not they are better. In my opinion they are. You can also lock the DFX into a single frequency if you want to.

Centrex,

I do not own any White units but have used my brothers MXT on several occasions, they are good units. I can't answer any questions about the programing of the Whites. I do have a Quattro and do not believe it to be any harder than any other machine to use or program. The first day I used mine I turned it on and went out in auto coin mode with great success. I have since taken info from the Andy S booked and used it to my advantage. The advantages over other detectors come out in Andy's book. The cross saving modes eliminate the so called slow recovery that you may here about. I believe you would be happy with either unit.

Good Luck!

THE Teknetics T2 seems like a nice unit. How does it compare to the other 2 I mentioned?

Is it Multi frequency I can't find infomation on that feature either way

It is a single 13 khz machine. Very light and a deep seeker. It is really gaining in popularity in N. America and the UK. The jury is still out on multi frequency machines and if they are truly better. The DFX gives you a choice, but with all things DFX you have to know when to use all the tools available. Many users find they are actually getting less from a DFX because there are so many choices for setting it up and no real safeguards in place to keep the machine operating at it's maximum potential. But many people love them as do hate them. The Quattro's recovery speed seems to be an issue. In other words the speed it takes the machine to recovery after hitting on a target to pick up the next close target. The T2 covers all these bases in an easy to use lightening fast recovery machine. You will never pick up iron with a T2, unless of course you wanted to

Sorry Jeff but I have to disagree with you on some of your points. The DFX is a very stable detector and easy to set up and operate. The T2 is lightweight but also has to be set up. The DFX has ground tracking ability and can go as deep as you set it in almost any condition. As much as the jury is still out on the DFX and multi-frequency , I think the jury is further out on the T2. I do like them both and they both have their place in the hobby . Your point about safeguards is a bit confusing to me. What exactly do you mean by "safeguards" and what are the safeguards that the T2 has over the DFX ? And I also beg to differ on the iron point. ALL detectors I've ever used found some iron. Small iron is easy to disc out but larger iron is trouble for any detector.

I did not say the DFX was unstable. The T2 has to be setup but with only three settings what could be easier? Safegaurds mean there is nothing on the DFX to tell a new user when the machine is actually set wrong and you are losing perfromance. Large iron can be ID'd on any good detector if you know how.

Well iron "ID'ed" and "never picked up" are two different things. The double/triple blips that iron produces when detected is conducive to that type of metal so any detector can ID it even without a target ID meter. Mostly is the annoyance of having to re-check to see if you have it or not.
You almost can't set the DFX "wrong" without knowing it. Plus there are 9 pre-set programs that need no adjusting whatsoever. You can make up your own if you like and then store it. The adjustments are there only if you want to make them. Once the detector is set for the proper ground balance , the detector tracks the ground and compensates for any changes. I have never been out with it and not known that the detector wasn't performing at optimum unless there were big changes in ground conditions or some other outside interference. Only a manually ground balanced detector would show an imbalance when the ground control wasn't set correctly. Personally , I think that the T2 and the DFX are two different animals. Like I said , I like them both but would not necessarily compare the two in the same catagory of detectors.

I don't have to double check iron double blip things or whatever you call them, because it does not react to iron like that. Like I said you can choose to hear it or not. Most will use it for coin hunting and iron will not be a problem. And lets face it who is going to buy a DFX and not make a program or custom change to the machine. Thats where people can and do get in trouble. But most DFX owners are up for that.

Thats true. I think and I also tell my customers that if you are buying the DFX make sure you are willing to play with it some. You can still go without customization but you don't have to. As far as the iron goes. you're saying that the T2 just plain ignores iron on low disc settings? Or are you having to increase your disc to eliminate it ? Just curious what you're finding up where you are because I find any reaction to iron is almost always a breaking of the sound into more than one signal such as double beeps or blips.

GOOD INFO GUYS

I actually got a chance to hold a DFX and Quattaro in my hands today . They both seem well built. It seems like the DFX was better balanced and perhaps a tad lighter

I think the DFX is in my future. Seems like nobody could mention anything better but many that would be on par with it. It just might get down to pricing as well?

THe little "information" sheet in the store said the DFX had 5 preset programs but I think I have seen some advertised for 9 .. Was it a mis print of did they come out with a newer model of DFX?.. It was also priced at $849.00 compared to the $949.00 I have seen on some of the web sites?

Back
Top Bottom