looking at underwater detectors

seas1to2

I hit the beaches maybe 1 to 2 times a months an have a sov. elite which is a killer on the beach, but am looking to maybe get in the water.Been looking at the beach hunder ID, does anybody have anything too say about these.I would stick with minelab, but don't want too spend$1,000.00 on a detector I might use less than 1 time a month.Seen a few reviews on these but almost all where from someone that just bought it, like to hear from someone with some time under there belt with this machine. Thanks for any help.

The BeachHunter ID is based on the DFX and is Multiple frequency. If you are doing a lot of fresh water hunting then this is a great detector. If you are doing a lot of salt water hunting then you'd be better off with a PI. The Surfmaster PI Pro is one of the best. The BeachHunter ID is still an overall good detector onsalt wet sand. Let me know if you need any more help in your decision. :yes:

hoping to stay away from a pi unit. they have been building up a lot of the beaches around here an use large steel pipes too move the sand up on the beaches so there is a lot of very small pieces of steel flaking off of these pipes( no problem for the sov.elite) on the beach but could be a probelm in the water. I want be doing any freshwater, most lakes around here are pretty nasty an very muddy bottoms.I guess I should have stated, working on FL beaches.

Well then you could still go with a BeachHunter ID and have pretty good performance. I understand about the PI and Iron :yes:.
The ID feature of the BaechHunter should be enough.

seas1to2 said:
hoping to stay away from a pi unit. they have been building up a lot of the beaches around here an use large steel pipes too move the sand up on the beaches so there is a lot of very small  pieces of steel flaking off of these pipes( no problem for the sov.elite) on the beach but could be a probelm in the water. I want be doing any freshwater, most lakes around here are pretty nasty an very muddy bottoms.I guess I should have stated, working on FL beaches.

Seas the PI gets a bad rap quite a bit... a little secret us PI users chuckle about we love it when our detector gets that bad rap... If by chance you go over iron with a PI you can't mistake the sound it makes and you know not to dig it... Iron is a long signal like a long drawn out wow sound.

I don't find iron hunting the water... I know where to hunt in the water... I look for certain conditions such as where has the wind and the currents pushed the sand close to the beach... I never hunt wet sand with my PI for that matter I don't hunt in ankle deep water unless there is a trough right at the wave line.. all my detecting is done from waist deep to chest deep... I don't even find much in the way of trash unless we are talking fishing weights and lures... I hunt troughs along the beach and hunt behind sandbars with great success. I haven't been detecting in a few weeks because of personal reasons and plus tides... If you take the time to learn where to and where not to hunt the PI can't be beat... I wouldn't sell my PI for anything, its so simple to run and finds the deep gold... This is my first year water hunting and I have over a 100 rings, it will be 1 year July 18th then will post all my water finds...

My poor MXT hasn't seen the light of the day in months lol...

The BeachHunter is a good detector as well but the PI is deeper hands down. A few waterhunters love their BeachHunters and down the road of life I will own one as well.

thanks , thats the kind of info. I was hoping to find. as far as sand all the way down to the water edge I will use my sov. elite. I only wanted a underwater machine for doing the water only.I was thinking they only had a beep or something on the sound,I didn't realize you could tell a slight diffrence, an using the elite I have a ear for the diffrent sounds. To top it off it would also save me a few bucks. I don't mind finding fishing weights,Its 1 less thing I have to buy to go fishing.

seas1to2 said:
thanks , thats the kind of info. I was hoping to find. as far as sand all the way down to the water edge I will use my sov. elite.    I only wanted a underwater machine for doing the water only.I was thinking they only had a beep or something on the sound,I didn't realize you could tell a slight difference, an using the elite I have  a ear for the diffrent sounds. To top it off it would  also save me a few bucks. I don't mind finding fishing weights,Its 1 less thing I have to buy to go fishing.

You can hear the difference in the tone... gold being a softer tone, coins and pulltabs being a sharp tone... and when you get those whispers its usually a good target, at least for me... Don't get me wrong the PI is not for everyone what I mean is I will never hunt wet sand or dry with it, it would drive me insane with all the junk in those area's.. My first time out with the PI I found a tiny staple down a foot drawback for some but not me, I save the wet and dry for my MXT if I was to hunt them, but right now I am strictly a water hunter and honestly I have no wants to do the wet or dry sand anymore. I average 1 pulltab where I detect, junk is usually brass or lead weights and castmaster fishing lures...

I have two underwater units a DetectorPro HH Diver (VLF mid price range) and a Garrett Infinium LS (Pulse upper price range). I am not knocking the HH Diver, but it does not dicriminate as well or go as deep as the Garrett. Also the HH Diver does not work as well in heavy mineralized areas such as salt water where the Garrett thrives. I would go pulse, your choice of models there are a bunch of good ones made by most manufatures. The Garrett does discrimate very well, you will dig junk digging all tones, but not as much digging just Lo-Hi tones.

Back
Top Bottom