F2. Learning curve driving me nuts.

Coin Machine

I think Ive done well my first month or so. Ive been lucky enough to find coins, silver jewelry and a Gold ring...not too bad for a NooB.

I started off in "coin mode"(notching out Iron, Foil and Tab) and a lower sensitivity to "learn" the numbers and beeps.
After getting the hang of that, I started going wide open ...which worked,...Ive found some good stuff....but....

Most of the "good stuff" I've found was by me thinking "That's a weird signal" or "Thats a weird combo of signals" so I dug them. The silver and gold Ive found...I didn't "know" or even think what or could be prior to digging them. Not like in coin mode at all...I pretty much know its a penny, nick, dime or Qtr before I dig..I rarely get fooled.

Now I seem to be over analyzing the machine. Im spending a LOT of time going over and over those weird signals and beeps. So much time, in fact, my clad count is dropping and now Im digging more and more "junk."

What to do? Im getting frustrated again....

Well just from reading your post, your obviously going to dig more junk because you've opened the flood gates of what conductivity your machine will allow searching for. I've had my f2 for a little less than you, and I barely know what anything rings in yet other than zincolns!

You went from All coins to everything, how many post have you read that said gold/silver rang up as it should have. Its always the iffy signals that turn out to be the prize from what I read.

What I started doing, i take a little notepad, write what it dinging in at then what it was. Then when I get home after the hunt I review what certain items came up as and try to fit it into a small chart i'm making.
After a few hunts you see the majority of the numbers fall in line with the others. But you still have a copper penny ring in as dime etc etc. Its time consuming but if your moral of a visual person, seeing the number and what it was helps me remember what numbers are questionable digs.

Hope this helps, probably won't!
Now if I only could find some of the silver or gold!:D

Well just from reading your post, your obviously going to dig more junk because you've opened the flood gates of what conductivity your machine will allow searching for. I've had my f2 for a little less than you, and I barely know what anything rings in yet other than zincolns!

You went from All coins to everything, how many post have you read that said gold/silver rang up as it should have. Its always the iffy signals that turn out to be the prize from what I read.

What I started doing, i take a little notepad, write what it dinging in at then what it was. Then when I get home after the hunt I review what certain items came up as and try to fit it into a small chart i'm making.
After a few hunts you see the majority of the numbers fall in line with the others. But you still have a copper penny ring in as dime etc etc. Its time consuming but if your moral of a visual person, seeing the number and what it was helps me remember what numbers are questionable digs.

Hope this helps, probably won't!
Now if I only could find some of the silver or gold!:D

Here's my "Cheat sheet" it works and has been very accurate for me.

Tab/Foil 15-27 :Foil/Nic 18-27(pos gld)
Nickel 32-34
Zinc 48-55 :Tab 44-46
Peny 59-72
Dimes 71-73(S)74
QTRs 77-83
Half 86-90 +/- (+)
Silver $ 91-95 +/- (+)

You are definitely over analyzing.
Just do what I do...get a solid signal, dig it and move on.
I am always looking for gold, so my favorite signals are usually foil, tab nickel and zinc...as long as they are solid.
Most of the time they are trash, but once in a while...

Meanwhile, I am still digging tons of clad and other cool stuff along the way.

I mess around and experiment from time to time to try to learn new things, but not on every signal.

Learning and experimenting is good, but the trade off is less clad for you, so just decide what you want to do and how you want to do it and just be happy.

You are definitely over analyzing.
Just do what I do...get a solid signal, dig it and move on.
I am always looking for gold, so my favorite signals are usually foil, tab nickel and zinc...as long as they are solid.
Most of the time they are trash, but once in a while...

Meanwhile, I am still digging tons of clad and other cool stuff along the way.

I mess around and experiment from time to time to try to learn new things, but not on every signal.

Learning and experimenting is good, but the trade off is less clad for you, so just decide what you want to do and how you want to do it and just be happy.

I'm hitting a new to me park in about an hour. Im meeting DirtyRob there. Ill try not to over think it today.

"get a solid signal, dig it and move on."..Yep....back to basics.

I find myself doing the same thing often, just with different machines than you have. You went from "coinshooting" to investigating other signals after you found some jewelry digging a signal that was not your typical coin reading. If you are after jewelry then embrace your new style and dig it all because that is what is required. Jewelry and even some of the older style coins or coins on edge can come in all over the place, but you have been around a bit and probably know that already so I am preaching to the choir on that one. If you want to just coinshoot then do so and leave the iffy signals alone.

I let the site dictate how I will hunt. Extremely trashy park or near waste receptacles, grilles or picnic tables I will just go for coin signals. The beach I dig it all, tot lot gravel or volley ball court I dig it all. Open field without much if any trash, I dig it all unless I don't want iron relics and then I knock out iron.

If you are not prepared to dig most all signals, then it's easy to fall into that pitfall of digging those "what if" signals. They slow you down to a crawl, you have barely any coins to show for your efforts and you dig a lot of trash. Sometimes, rarely, you may come up with a piece of jewelry or something you did not expect but that's the exception and not the rule. Form a plan of action and follow it. If you are just dying to dig something iffy then do it, but don't get carried away unintentionally.

Don't chase the rabbit down the hole!:lol:

Well..I went out with DirtyRob yesterday. I did just fine. I didn't over think it, I even found a monster ring...prob fake, but we'll see.

I have learn to just dig about every solid signal I get and has been working for me. Have been finding mostly clad but have come up with some rings and and some odd finds. One of these days I hope to find some silver or gold, Till than we will keep digging and having fun. :D

Most of my good finds were solid, repeatable signals. Sure people talk about the 'iffy' ones that turn out good, and it happens. You sort of have to base what you dig on where you're hunting.

Back
Top Bottom