Any Florida Gulf hunters here? I have some questions

BootyHunter

For the last few years, we have been going to the Gulf for Vacation. The tides there are not the same as East coast beaches. It also seems that most years Ive been its really sanded in, as in just soft sand even in chest deep water. Last year, there was a Tropical Storm in the Gulf, and it was double red flag conditions, with no getting in the water all but the last day we were there. I hunted the edge and the wet sand, did find a Mardi Gras token from 1984, that I believe the high rough wave action exposed, also several crusty clad coins, but no rings.
So my questions:
1: Is this mushy sand just how it always is there, or are there times when its moved out. We visit the Panama City Beach area.
2. The tide only seems to change how "deep" the water is between the beach and the sandbar, not really ever anymore beach exposed, am I interpreting that correctly?
On East coast beaches, I almost always find a few rings each trip, over the course of 5 days or so, but in PCB after 5 years, I think Ive found 1 maybe 2 rings tops, I attribute it to them sinking in that mushy sandz out of reach. There are high end hotels where we stay, with tons of people, so there ahould be jewelry around, even if its junk. Some years the water has been like a lake, and some times its more like a regular east coast beach with waves. I do remember the first year we went there, it was calm, and I found heavy targets like cell phones, fishing sinkers and some earrings. I think the bottom was much more solid that year. So anyone local to the area, school me on the sand conditions there and what makes for a good solid bottom, weather and wave wise. Thanks in advance, going back in September and hoping for some good stuff. I am taking a pi again this year, and I like to wade there, Im not much of a dry sand hunter.

Growing up as a sw Florida gulf kid, the sand is pretty typical. In my area there was a massive sand deposit that doesn't even allow you to get into 100' of water until you're about 80 miles from shore. I'm not too familiar with PC for detecting, but as a boater/diver remember too that area has massive sand running out from Louisiana and the other rivers coming south.

Growing up as a sw Florida gulf kid, the sand is pretty typical. In my area there was a massive sand deposit that doesn't even allow you to get into 100' of water until you're about 80 miles from shore. I'm not too familiar with PC for detecting, but as a boater/diver remember too that area has massive sand running out from Louisiana and the other rivers coming south.
Thanks for the reply! I will be taking my Equinox as well, so if I strike out in the water I will suck it up and do a littl dry sand hunting. Got to be some good stuff there as many people that are there.

Tides are seasonal in the Gulf ie in the winter there are greater differences between low and high tide. Where as in the summer tides are more consistent so it seems it’s always deeper. How far out the tide goes can be affect by the wind too. Up North FL in the Summer .... winds blow a lot from the South. So in the winter you might see the tides really going out because of the North winds and tide difference. Down South ... we have high bank or low bank beaches too.... and not nearly as hugh a wet sand area.

Great questions. I've been going to Destin every other year and have never taken a detector. I planned on it this year, but that trip was cancelled. We always stay in a condo overlooking the beach. I've seen somebody detecting just one time. I've always thought this was weird, and the more I thought about it the more I wondered if the place had a reputation for not being productive. But, I couldn't think of why that might be the case until you were describing the sand movement.

Back
Top Bottom