Any Manticore news from Dectectival ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TMM780h7bvY

I was hoping to see some impressive videos of the Manticore from Detectival.

Anyway, that was a massive coin for the air test. The Legend with the 11" coil could hit that coin. Even the Simplex could hit it. Heck, a lot of detectors could hit that giant coin in an air test.

The recovery test isn't impressive either. Here's a video of the Legend recovering just as fast, and with nails between the coins. Just watch the last 15 seconds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RpMQIr4CR90

...and no, it doesn't matter that it's "just a prototype". You don't think they've already got the recovery speed as fast as possible? Ditto for depth. You can only increase TR power so much or you'll get intolerable EMI and ground noise (including silent EMI). Increase recovery speed any more, and you'll get audio clipping.

I'm looking forward to some in the ground head to head tests, while taking EMI into consideration.

Last edited:

To me, what's more important than what is shown, is what is not shown.

For example, in one of the video's comments, someone from Metrology UK LTD said:

I also tested the Manticore at Detectival and also saw it perform in the real field. It is a prototype and that was obvious. The controller interface is nice and fundamentally is a dumbed down version of the CTX and has some nice features. The weight is a big improvement and build was functional. The actual performance was pretty poor in my opinion at this stage but It will stabilise im sure. The recovery which was a sales pitch was terrible once iron was introduced to the mix and the system was erratic and very jumpy on any target less than perfect. I am great Minelab fan with the CTX but went over to Deus for recovery speed. I was hoping that the Manticore would be a lightweight CTX with Deus recovery but not yet.!

Last edited:

I was hoping to see some impressive videos of the Manticore from Detectival.

Anyway, that was a massive coin for the air test. The Legend with the 11" coil could hit that coin. Even the Simplex could hit it. Heck, a lot of detectors could hit that air test giant coin.

PLEASE show the air test where ANY Multi-frequency detector can hit a coin that size at two feet!
ALSO>>>>A foot and a half ON EDGE!

Thanks!

Last edited:
Anything we don't already know ? Release date ? When will accessories be available ?

Last I heard, is that we can still expect the Manticore in November, and under the Christmas tree in December.

I saw absolutely nothing new from Nokta, who sponsered the event.

Manticore seems to have been the center of attention, but really nothing new as far as new news.

XP announced a new Deus package at $899.
Even that news did not receive much Detectival attention for some reason.

Dectectival 2022 seems to have suffered from very low attendence.

Last year, with Covid fears and foul weather, seemed to have a larger turn out.

Im not sure what happened this year?

PLEASE show the air test where ANY Multi-frequency detector can hit a coin that size at two feet!
ALSO>>>>A foot and a half ON EDGE!

Thanks!

I should have time tonight to do that.

Ever wonder why he used such a massive coin? Why didn't he use a typical size coin that we find? Or why not throw a gold ring down, or a pulltab? Even better, throw that coin on the ground with some nails surrounding it, or nails on top of it. That's the kind of thing I want to see, along with the in the ground head to head comparisons.

Also, like I said, any manufacturer can raise the TR to an outrageous amount, but they don't because of severely increased noise from EMI, the ground, and internal components. So the question is, will abnormally high TR actually be useable in real world hunting? Hmmm. If I remember correctly, I believe in another video, the Minelab rep said that on most sites, you won't be able to use that much TR power.

I should have time tonight to do that.

Ever wonder why he used such a massive coin? Why didn't he use a typical size coin that we find? Or why not throw a gold ring down, or a pulltab? Even better, throw that coin on the ground with some nails surrounding it, or nails on top of it. That's the kind of thing I want to see, along with the in the ground head to head comparisons.

Also, like I said, any manufacturer can raise the TR to an outrageous amount, but they don't because of severely increased noise from EMI, the ground, and internal components. So the question is, will abnormally high TR actually be useable in real world hunting? Hmmm. If I remember correctly, I believe in another video, the Minelab rep said that on most sites, you won't be able to use that much TR power.

I think you like conspiracy theories that do not exist.

The people there, were standing in a foreign country trying out their coins.

Yes, they were using a 15" coil. A 15" coil can go deeper. We KNOW a 15" coil will exacerbate EMI, and ground minerals.

I eagerly
await your Vid on another Multi-frequency detector hitting a coin that size on an air-test at TWO feet!

The screen graph is just one conductivity bar separated in 3 levels.

I thought it was going to be something special with that fancy screen.

Not impressed....the only good thing is the 0 to 99 tid scale.....otherwise....what's the point in having a special graph that just shows a black spot dancing across 3 different planes on the screen?

And they take a hubcap sized coin for an air test???

Yes, they were using a 15" coil. A 15" coil can go deeper. We KNOW a 15" coil will exacerbate EMI, and ground minerals.

I eagerly
await your Vid on another Multi-frequency detector hitting a coin that size on an air-test at TWO feet!

Conspiracies....hmmm

The reason the coil is so big is to keep up with competitors who actually build an average sized coil that gets great depth.

Who needs a 15" coil detecting around your average old home, Civil War camp site or tot lot???

I eagerly

I though they were using the 11" coil. The fact that they were using a 15" coil on the giant coin, makes that air test even less impressive than it already was.

BTW- No comment on the recovery speed video I posted?

EDIT- It looks like they were using the 11" round DD coil, and not the 15x12 DD coil.

Last edited:
If someone forked over the cash for the eq800, got all of the 3D printed add ons along with the large coil and smaller coil plus the wireless headphones and Docs eq cover which are very nice by the way......that person would save money compared to the cost of this new one from minelab.

The 2D screen should give greater control over knocking out things like bottle caps and other round iron which likes to read in the accepted range on most other detectors. From what I understand, smaller ferrous like nails will read along the top, and larger flat iron or round iron along the bottom. If its anything like the CTX, the black dot, or trace should be a useful indicator when you have a good target near iron, or even two non-ferrous targets of different conductivity near each other. The dot size and shape also provides useful info. It's a nice tool IMHO. The pattern style discrimination actually works really well.

I though they were using the 11" coil. The fact that they were using a 15" coil on the giant coin, makes that air test even less impressive than it already was.

BTW- No comment on the recovery speed video I posted?

EDIT- It looks like they were using the 11" round DD coil, and not the 15x12 DD coil.

I agree, it is the 11" coil.

So, I will wait for your air-test Vid from another Multi-Frequency detector at two feet. [11"coil or less] ;)

Well I didn't see anything impressive myself with that video. I noticed they don't show the display during the multiple coin run or the depth air test. Is the Target Trace of any value during either of these?

A 2lb coin is no big deal on the air test, and air teats are perhaps the most useless tests, meant only to mislead those who don't know better. All the videos seem like reruns. Same old Same Old.

Last edited:
FWIW, my E-Trac can hit a Morgan at 20 inches pretty consistently, and there is some response at 2 feet. This is an air test I just ran 5 minutes ago. I don't care enough about this to produce a video, but I figured I'd share my observations.

I was using the Detech Ultimate 13 coil, which I almost always use, so that is what I care about.

I was running at max sens (30 manual)

I was getting a good bit of EMI, which I always get in air tests, so not sure it was a "dig me" signal. Like others, I think air tests are worthless, but my experience was rather similar to the video. They blamed other machines and cameras and stuff; IMHO they are wrong; according to Bruce Candy; the worse source of EMI is lightning hundreds of miles away. The interested can google his paper on how VLF detectors work, which specifically addresses EMI and its sources.

I do not know the difference in composition and size between a Morgan and a 2 quid coin. The Morgan was the largest coin I had on hand.

So, all things being equal (which they clearly are not), I would grant them a 20% depth increase in the air test, assuming that was actually 2 feet (another poster's assessment, not mine).

FWIW, YMMV, and all the usuals. I usually stop digging at a foot anyway, so in practice, not sure this would help me.

NOW, TID at a foot on a large coin is a different kettle of fish. My foot deep coppers usually don't have a great TID, and I dig them on instinct, and am usually disappointed.

Agreed Randy, and even then, it has been known for a long time that FBS does not like open air. They have always gotten far better depth in the ground than in the air.

The only truth I put in air testing is for the response, not depth. If a detector can't see a gold chain in the air it surely isn't going to see it in the ground. But depth depends on how a detector handles the ground. It has been said the new SMF tech handles ground minerals better, beaches I agree, but I have yet to see the proof in the dirt.

Back
Top Bottom