Burnt Out about the Manticore

All of us old guys who still use 20 year old metal detectors should get compensated by the metal detector companies. Here's why. When we post a find with our old machines the noobs say "Well if that old fool can find something with that old machine I'll just go buy the latest and greatest machine and go out there and kill it".

I think that's what sells more new detectors than anything else.

All of us old guys who still use 20 year old metal detectors should get compensated by the metal detector companies. Here's why. When we post a find with our old machines the noobs say "Well if that old fool can find something with that old machine I'll just go buy the latest and greatest machine and go out there and kill it".

Hot damn , that is a great idea. Definitely some truth there.....

What sells detectors the most are these "OMG ! 5 gold rings at the beach today I"m IN SHOCK !!" videos on youtube, half of which are likely a crock and only increase competition.
Thankfully the fair weather operator will get bored and frustrated when they find out that treasure is not going to fly out of the ground at them at the push of a button and move on to something else.

I'll never be an early adopter of anything. When I was considering my options for a new detector, the ones suggested to me where the Nox 600 and the Legend. I went with the Nox because it had been out longer and hopefully, had the bugs shaken out. The Legend was still on the new side and having frequent software updates.

However, after I got it, I learned about the need for coil ear reinforcement and rods working loose, so I ended up buying the ear reinforcement tabs and Steve's Detector Rods (in yellow-orange, so I won't lose them) to replace the factory rods.

My other detectors are Whites and Tesoro. Does this bode evil for Minelab? :)

--Tom

Good point, Tom! When I bought a Whites or a Tesoro (and there where
quite a few) I never had to buy an aftermarket anything. With the Nox it's been everything but the pod. Helluva butt kicking pod though.
I also don't do submerged hunting so the pod leaking is of no concern to me.
If the pod goes out on me, that's it, I'll sell the aftermarket parts and coils the RNB extra power unit and all the other stuff I bought and put that money toward another lightweight ,lower cost machine that uses AA or 9 volt batteries and has a longer warranty. Now if Minelab were willing to sell me a pod with a warranty, separately, I would buy one and be a Happy camper.

LoL.... with our 20 year old detectors with our skills we can still out hunt these guys with their new technology... these threads crack me up...

Without any FECO numbers or the warble tones, and a better simulation of a smartfind screen than shown so far...I won't believe a single part of an Etrac representation claim.

Can't help you here... don't think my Excal has that option :D

LoL.... with our 20 year old detectors with our skills we can still out hunt these guys with their new technology... these threads crack me up...

Not even sure where I fit in. I'm an old fart with 35 years detecting experience, but I prefer to use the new technology. :lol:

For tinkering and experiencing with the latest toys I like to fart around with the new stuff. For serious hunting and not just farting around, nothing but the proven oldies. The new stuff doesn't measure up.... now if EMI is important to you, it's another story.

Not even sure where I fit in. I'm an old fart with 35 years detecting experience, but I prefer to use the new technology. :lol:

Lots like sparkly new toys... I prefer a detector with no screen... started with a PI PRO pulse, a couple other pulse detectors then when I changed my hunting style looking for old stuff I needed a Excal and a picked up a couple of GT's... those detectors kick butt even if some youtuber who now begs for money thinks otherwise... he needs a new hobby..

Depends on where/what I'm hunting. When hunting the gold in tot lots I need no screen. Shoot I had a great time with the compadre. But when I go hunting those old trashy parks, I got to have a VDI and a darn accurate one at that.

when I go hunting those old trashy parks, I got to have a VDI and a darn accurate one at that.

Me too.

I don't think I would metal detect, if I had to use a beep and dig detector in a trashy park. If I wanted to torture myself that bad, I would put down my detector and go watch The View.

Depends on where/what I'm hunting. When hunting the gold in tot lots I need no screen. Shoot I had a great time with the compadre. But when I go hunting those old trashy parks, I got to have a VDI and a darn accurate one at that.

I don't hunt parks Detector... I only hunt beaches or private properties... I have no wants to hunt landfills what others call parks.. :lol: 90% of my detecting is at the beach in the water or wet... 10% dirt and I haven't hunted dirt since 2018....

I've been impressed with the Equinox that I've been using pretty much exclusively for the last three and a half years. It performs quite well and I haven't had a lick of mechanical trouble with it. You can quibble about this deficiency or that, but I only have one significant complaint...and I'm really surprised that with all the posts on this thread no one has mentioned it. My issue with the Nox is EMI!!!

As a primarily urban coin hunter, EMI can too often become a vexing problem. The easy fixes of using noise cancel and changing modes usually don't help. Decreasing sensitivity to the point of serious depth loss is not a viable option. What often helps (but not always) is going to the 6" coil or switching to a single (10 or 15kHz) frequency. Unfortunately, the Nox performance is diminished (particularly in regards to IDing targets) in single frequency. And using a sniper coil in less than busy areas is frustrating.

It's always a happy surprise on those rare occasions when the noise cancel actually quiets things significantly down. Going to a single frequency mode has the highest success rate for me, but I didn't buy the Nox to use it as a single freq. and the ID when not in multi is below par. With the Nox in single freq, when it comes to ID accuracy, I'd even lean towards giving the edge to my Teknetics Minuteman (rebranded Eurotek Pro) a $149 detector.

The times I have used the Nox in remote areas/ghost towns far away from any significant EMI the depth has been astounding. To the point of digging a large plug and then digging out additional dirt several times on five bar targets before getting a peep out of my pinpointer. The first couple times it happened I was thinking to myself this must be a false signal. As I kept digging very deep targets I was thinking to myself wow, this detector really has some serious punch.

Tom Dankowski has been involved from the beginning with the development of the Manticore and he has stated that "One (of the two) MAJOR points-of-focus was MEGA MITIGATION OF EMI." If Mr. Dankowski and Minelab can actually succeed in doing that, it would be a game-changer in my detecting world.

That was an excellent post marcono. So many others are really starting to notice the same thing with EMI, and also starting to realize how detrimental it is to metal detecting.

Single frequencies and small coils do help in EMI, but alas, there is always a trade off. For example, SF having inferior target ID accuracy compared to SMF.

You said:

Tom Dankowski has been involved from the beginning with the development of the Manticore and he has stated that "One (of the two) MAJOR points-of-focus was MEGA MITIGATION OF EMI." If Mr. Dankowski and Minelab can actually succeed in doing that, it would be a game-changer in my detecting world.

I wouldn't hold your breath on that. Noise reduction means filtering and/or suppressing internal sensitivity. As you know, the more filtering and suppressing that the detector does, the less depth it gets. Sure, the manufacturers can make a detector that is virtually immune to EMI, but that detector will have very poor depth.

More noise suppression=less performance. There is no way around that, because the two aren't mutually exclusive. They are both the same thing.

Last edited:
That was an excellent post marcono. So many others are really starting to notice the same thing with EMI, and also starting to realize how detrimental it is to metal detecting.

Single frequencies and small coils do help in EMI, but alas, there is always a trade off. For example, SF having inferior target ID accuracy compared to SMF.

You said:

I wouldn't hold your breath on that. Noise reduction means filtering and/or suppressing internal sensitivity. As you know, the more filtering and suppressing that the detector does, the less depth it gets. Sure, the manufacturers can make a detector that is virtually immune to EMI, but that detector will have very poor depth.

More noise suppression=less performance. There is no way around that, because the two aren't mutually exclusive. They are both the same thing.

Agreed. Until we get new detector technology I don't see much being able to be done. I think the problem is the very process that the detector, currently, uses, electromagnetic, is the same EMI you're trying to eliminate. Targeting specific frequencies can probably help, but then the frequencies you chose to filter are also going to affect detector performance on a given type of metal.

For example, we all know high conductors like coins and such favor lower frequencies. Lower frequencies also seem to have the most issues with EMI So the trick is to lower EMI without also lowering sensitivity/depth to the targets in that range.

Once again we find that current technology has hit a brick wall. We see a lot of new features but none have yet to equate to much better than what has been out for years. Now the Manticore has yet to be put in the hands of real users and may yet prove to be the exception, but I don't see it with the testers.

Thanks, Digalicious. That's good advice not to hold my breath and I certainly won't, but I reserve the right to hold out hope!:cool3:

It's kind of ironic that the Fisher CZ series, high gain analog detectors based on a 30 year old platform, are so much less susceptible to EMI than the Equinox.

Agreed. Until we get new detector technology I don't see much being able to be done.

Engineers have been trying to do it for many years...all to no avail unless performance suffers significantly.

From what I read the Fisher F75 suffered greatly from EMI, so they introduced DTS. DTS did significantly reduce the EMI noise, but apparently the performance loss was so significant, that detectorists avoided buying it, or went back to the F75 that didn't have DTS. I would have thought there would be an option to disable DTS???

Back
Top Bottom