Frustrated with D2

REAL_RAT_FINK

Forum Supporter
Ever since I bought the D2, the head unit would slip off every once in awhile. This is especially problematic when water hunting with an antennae attached to it (can't put the head unit in your pocket when it's connected to a wire).

Today I noticed that the collar (not on the head unit but the receiving side) is broken on one side. I'm guessing both collars need to be in place for the head unit to stay on properly.

Anyone else with a D2 have this issue?

Word of caution to D2 users, be very gentle around that collar piece.

I have a message into XP, hopefully they can provide a fix. For a $1600 detector I expected something a little more robust. View attachment 505669 PXL_20220920_044322267.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

Mine hasn't totally broken, but my mounting sure is a piece of junk. It causes the main unit to wobble around and occasionally pop off. I don't do any hunting underwater either. The shaft itself likes to roll when I set it on the ground, I am sure it has bashed the main unit a few times while rolling which has made the mounting worse.

I been trying to order some stock repair ones with no luck. The 3D printed ones a guy i met on the beach snapped it off the first day out. Some 3D ones are melting. The more you remove the screen it gets easier to pop off. If you use a bone phone 90 degree plug it's actually safer to remove the screen before trying to remove the plug since it puts it in a bind. The straight Tony phones plug it's not an issue to leave the screen attached. That piece is likely made that way so it breaks instead of the controller. Bad design all around for a beach detector. People who have their thumb against the screen or got big hands probably really pop the controller lose. Mine popped off in the parking lot, but the antenna kept the controls from hitting the ground. The French i don't think are allowed to water detect, so they probably don't give a krap?

I've worn out one on my original Deus and one on my D2. Would be nice if they lasted longer, but if you take the remote on and off regularly they will wear out every few months. I just look at it as a regular wear item and replace them as needed. I think I paid about 10 bucks for a replacement.

Ever since I bought the D2, the head unit would slip off every once in awhile. This is especially problematic when water hunting with an antennae attached to it (can't put the head unit in your pocket when it's connected to a wire).

Today I noticed that the collar (not on the head unit but the receiving side) is broken on one side. I'm guessing both collars need to be in place for the head unit to stay on properly.

I have a message into XP, hopefully they can provide a fix. For a $1600 detector I expected something a little more robust. View attachment 505669View attachment 505670

Yes, you are going to want to get a few of these laying around the house.

Don't these machines have an industry leading 5 year warranty ? But they also appear they would come up with some caca-mamie excuse too. Maybe a cut piece of velcro. Idk

Also, I'd suggest staying away from the 3D printed ones. The reason is, the OEM one that mounts on the shaft has a thin little collar that locks it onto the remote. It is designed to wear out and break so that the slot on the remote DOES NOT wear out/break. The collar on the 3D printed ones that I've seen is much thicker, which may end up causing the slot on the remote to break instead. $$$! Spend $20 on a couple of OEM replacements and toss them in a drawer until you need them.

I have a message into XP, hopefully they can provide a fix. For a $1600 detector I expected something a little more robust. View attachment 505669View attachment 505670

Wow, that's pretty disgusting.

That was my only gripe with the Deus 2 build quality, the remote would pop off all the time when I pinpointed ,changed settings,etc..I got the loop out and put it on just to make sure I could see it clearly and make sure it wasn't user error.. ,it wasn't.. mine wasn't even broken,it just wouldn't stay on from day one..

That was my only gripe with the Deus 2 build quality, the remote would pop off all the time when I pinpointed ,changed settings,etc..I got the loop out and put it on just to make sure I could see it clearly and make sure it wasn't user error.. ,it wasn't.. mine wasn't even broken,it just wouldn't stay on from day one..

Main thing you never want to do is grab the deus ll by the top of the controller when it's attached. Keep your fingers low on the key pads. I actually connect the antenna before attaching the controls to the shaft. The force to clip on the antenna can break the plastic connector pretty easy. You can even break one if you don't eyeball it when attaching it and not keep it level.

Yes, I've broken two. One on the D1 and one on the D2. I do have the bad habit of letting it drop to the ground when digging targets. The part that holds it on is very thin as mentioned. I ordered two replacements a few months ago off ebay so I have a spare now.

Well I feel pretty fortunate to have not broken the mount on the Deus 1 or 2.
When I first got the 2 I was really struggling to get it locked on the first time and I thought I heard something kind of snap and I looked real close but didn’t see any damage. After that it seemed to lock in much better. I could feel very distinctly the peg on the remote going past those little cams ( for lack of a better term) and staying on very well. I’ve wondered if there was some flashing on the receiver side that broke free.
Anyway I use the supplied little device for the lanyard but have not had it come loose

Yes, its an incredibly stupid design, and its not like they didnt have 10 years to fix the issue! Ours kept popping off, too. Theres a guy at detecting doodads that makes a mount that keeps the remote from popping off so easy. Basically, its the exact same form as the factory one, but it has a little tab at the end that you slide up and then tighten it in place by a plastic screw. The tab wont allow the remote to slide out/pop off the way the factory mount does. My gf did manage to pop hers off one day when she fell and the machine hit the ground, so its not like its bolted in place. If you look at the photos on the guys website, you can see how that tab and the screw work. You can basically make your own with a small amount of work and drilling a hole into the factory mount and adding the locking tab yourself.

Yes, its an incredibly stupid design, and its not like they didnt have 10 years to fix the issue! Ours kept popping off, too. Theres a guy at detecting doodads that makes a mount that keeps the remote from popping off so easy. Basically, its the exact same form as the factory one, but it has a little tab at the end that you slide up and then tighten it in place by a plastic screw. The tab wont allow the remote to slide out/pop off the way the factory mount does. My gf did manage to pop hers off one day when she fell and the machine hit the ground, so its not like its bolted in place. If you look at the photos on the guys website, you can see how that tab and the screw work. You can basically make your own with a small amount of work and drilling a hole into the factory mount and adding the locking tab yourself.

The dodads one is junk. Many have broken.

The dodads one is junk. Many have broken.

Not sure what parts are breaking, but dont doubt it; its printed plastic like most stuff. You can easily make the same "system" out of metal, just need a screw to anchor into the mount of the head unit, and make your own slider tab to hold the head unit from sliding off the mount.

Back
Top Bottom