Cleaning rust stuck to a brass token from 1936?

FreeBirdTim

Elite Member
Found a 1936 Rhode Island Tercentenary token in a dump a few days ago. It was in the bowl of a 1920's hair receiver, along with a lot of rusty safety pins, buttons and other stuff. All the items were stuck together, so it was tough separating the token from the junk. Got it out, but can't get all the rusty crud off the token. I soaked it in hot water and then in mineral oil for a couple of days, but not much progress.

My question is how to get this crud off without ruining the nice green patina on the token. I was thinking about tumbling it, but that may remove the patina. Chemicals that remove rust would probably ruin the patina as well, so what are my options? Any input would be appreciated.

Attachments

• 1936 coin dirty.jpg
    1936 coin dirty.jpg
    15 KB · Views: 241
  • 1936 coin dirty 2.jpg
    1936 coin dirty 2.jpg
    15.6 KB · Views: 252
  • 1936 roger williams obverse.jpg
    1936 roger williams obverse.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 244
  • 1936 roger willlams reverse.jpg
    1936 roger willlams reverse.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 248
Dunno on the rust, but that's a cool find in a knick knack bowl in a dump! Guessing electrolysis would remove the patina?

Could always find some other copper dump items with similar concretions (that aren't save worthy) and do a little experimentation with evaporust & others..

Okay, I'll give it a shot with electrolysis. I don't know if it will mess with the patina, but right now the coin is junk, so not much to lose. Thanks for the suggestion, guys!

Had to sacrifice the green patina to get all the rust and most of the burned crud off the coin. I gave it 4 hours of electrolysis, then rubbed it with mineral oil to soften up the black crud that remained on the coin. Finished up with Andre's pencils to get into the nooks and crannys. Bottom line, the green patina was cool, but the rust and crud had to go...

Attachments

• 1936 token clean obverse.jpg
    1936 token clean obverse.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 244
  • 1936 token clean reverse.jpg
    1936 token clean reverse.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 240
Back
Top Bottom