2 foot depth gold broach target

How small of an area do you have it narrowed down to ? could you take off some dirt first ? does any one know if a twin box gti would hit anything that small?because if so you could buy a used gti2500 pretty cheap and then just buy a twinbox coil setup

Not small enough to take dirt off first. I would comfortably say a 20 ft diameter circle. Not to much for scanning. Way too much for digging.

You'd probably need to use ground penetrating radar to look for dug holes if you are close to the spot. Aluminum is your worse enemy when looking for gold. CTX, Equinox, Deus ll won't pick gold up two feet deep unless its a big block of gold coins or something. A pulse induction won't pick that up two feet deep either IMO.

GPR is something that I saw during my research but I don’t know much about it. Is that the same as a 3D scanner/detector?

That's a pretty small area. Is it sandy soil, like Florida or clay like Georgia or mineralized ground like Virginia/Pennsylvania? A good nugget machine may get a blip.

The old Nautilus metal detectors with tuned coils were pretty good.

I know you want to find it yourself but a detecting club in your area could hold a contest there with a lot of different machines. It would make a good story.

Last edited:
How small of an area do you have it narrowed down to ? could you take off some dirt first ?

I was thinking the same thing. If you know the general area, grab a shovel and take a few scoops off the top, to reduce the surface depth. You could even do that in random locations around the target box area, and improve your chances.

Is the the "source" you are using to find this "treasure"?

https://www.readandseek.com/2017/12/the-golden-apple-tale.html

It is. This is a good primer to the hunt. Its been over 40 years since it was buried. Rumors aside from it being retrieved by the author - The location I believe its in has not changed in that time-frame.

There is a link to the actual publication of the book used to find the treasure - No one has cracked the code to come up with a complete solve that we know of.

The author has passed away taking the solution with him.

A GPR might be the way to find this, because one of the things GPRs are good tools for are finding where soil has been disturbed, i.e. a pit dug and filled back in again. So maybe you don't actually locate the gold, per se, but you locate the place where its buried, so you narrow it down to a 2 foot diameter pit rather than a 20 foot diameter pit, which you then use your detector in to find the actual article.

Seems doable to me, especially since I'm not doing it :laughing:

A GPR might be the way to find this, because one of the things GPRs are good tools for are finding where soil has been disturbed, i.e. a pit dug and filled back in again. So maybe you don't actually locate the gold, per se, but you locate the place where its buried, so you narrow it down to a 2 foot diameter pit rather than a 20 foot diameter pit, which you then use your detector in to find the actual article.

Seems doable to me, especially since I'm not doing it :laughing:

In my very limited knowledge of all of this, it seems like GPR is the direction to go. We know the exact depth +/- a few inches...

I asked a question before that did not get answered.:
GPR is something that I saw during my research but I don’t know much about it. Is that the same as a 3D scanner/detector?

Also since we are pointed at the GPR route - What recommendations would you all have for that?

In my very limited knowledge of all of this, it seems like GPR is the direction to go. We know the exact depth +/- a few inches...

I asked a question before that did not get answered.:

Also since we are pointed at the GPR route - What recommendations would you all have for that?

GPR operates differently than metal detectors.

Metal detectors work by sending a pulse of energy into the ground and "listening" for the resultant signal coming back from the eddy current induced in the metal.

GPR works a bit differently - GPR sends pulses into the ground and looks for reflections back, and how long they take to get back. If you know how GPS works, then GPR is not all that much different (very basic generalization). So its not dependent on metal, just variations in soil density will cause anomalies in the return pulses. This is why GPR would be key for your search. GPR is often used to find things like hidden grave sites because of the disturbed soil. Of course bodies, wooden boxes, etc. are all of different density than the surrounding soil so they would show up on a GPR analysis too.

Most GPR units do present something like a 3D visualization - its not really 3D, but its presented sort of that way. Essentially you're collecting "slices" of the ground underneath and adding them all up to create that picture, sort of like a CT scan or MRI does for your body.

My guess is that you could consult with one of your local geologist consultants and perhaps rent a GPR from them to use. GPR devices are relatively expensive ($5k-$50K) so you might have a hard time convincing them to rent you the device. Hoping you live in a small town where personal integrity has some value here that might help in that endeavor.

The other side of that though is that if you haven't used a GPR before you might have a hard time being successful with it. In this case just hiring a consultant might be a better option, one that has good experience with GPR.

I hope that helps. Ask more if it doesn't. Best of luck!

GPR operates differently than metal detectors.

Metal detectors work by sending a pulse of energy into the ground and "listening" for the resultant signal coming back from the eddy current induced in the metal.

GPR works a bit differently - GPR sends pulses into the ground and looks for reflections back, and how long they take to get back. If you know how GPS works, then GPR is not all that much different (very basic generalization). So its not dependent on metal, just variations in soil density will cause anomalies in the return pulses. This is why GPR would be key for your search. GPR is often used to find things like hidden grave sites because of the disturbed soil. Of course bodies, wooden boxes, etc. are all of different density than the surrounding soil so they would show up on a GPR analysis too.

Most GPR units do present something like a 3D visualization - its not really 3D, but its presented sort of that way. Essentially you're collecting "slices" of the ground underneath and adding them all up to create that picture, sort of like a CT scan or MRI does for your body.

My guess is that you could consult with one of your local geologist consultants and perhaps rent a GPR from them to use. GPR devices are relatively expensive ($5k-$50K) so you might have a hard time convincing them to rent you the device. Hoping you live in a small town where personal integrity has some value here that might help in that endeavor.

The other side of that though is that if you haven't used a GPR before you might have a hard time being successful with it. In this case just hiring a consultant might be a better option, one that has good experience with GPR.

I hope that helps. Ask more if it doesn't. Best of luck!

GPR units are very expensive and most appear to look like a lawnmower. A rental might be an option.

Are the 3D detectors (that look somewhat like metal detectors) the same as a GPR unit as well? Is it the same technology? Those are less expensive.

GPR units are very expensive and most appear to look like a lawnmower. A rental might be an option.

Are the 3D detectors (that look somewhat like metal detectors) the same as a GPR unit as well? Is it the same technology? Those are less expensive.

Just be careful of scammers out there!

Just be careful of scammers out there!

Yes! Like that gold locator that looks like a space gun with sand inside. It does find the money in your pocket. Still though if someone finds a small gold chain with a complex gold medallion with lots of gaps two feet deep with a metal detector let me know and i will buy two of them.

GPR units typically are towed or pushed across the ground.

I'm not sure what 3D detectors you're speaking of. I've seen Nokta's unit that sounds similar to what you're suggesting - I don't think that's GPR-based but I don't know much about it.

As others have said, be very careful of scammers. That's why I suggested a geologist, they should be licensed and have professional certifications. You might also check with pipe locator services, some of them may have GPR units.

Back
Top Bottom