Minelab Safari/Explorer/ETrac: Coil scuff cover

Ark

Elite Member
If you are using the stock 11" DD coil, do you guys leave the scuff cover on all the time?

I'm finding that a lot of sand eventually makes it's way inside. Same with playground grit and bark dust. After a dirty hunt, I've been removing the cover and giving the coil a good rinsing.

Leave it on or leave it off... what do you do?

If you are using the stock 11" DD coil, do you guys leave the scuff cover on all the time?

I'm finding that a lot of sand eventually makes it's way inside. Same with playground grit and bark dust. After a dirty hunt, I've been removing the cover and giving the coil a good rinsing.

Leave it on or leave it off... what do you do?

Covers are mucho less expensive than another coil. You can try the bedliner spray treatment, but I think the covers are less trouble.

Dusty

I'd spray it and go without the cover if it bothers you. None of my Minelab coils ever came close to having problems from wear. I'd be quite happy if they'd last long enough to wear through... overjoyed actually. I think everyone should spray em because it's water damage that has got most of mine. (and I never put them under water)

Put it on and seal it with RTV. It'll never come off easily, but you won't have to worry about stuff getting underneath it.

Put it on and seal it with RTV. It'll never come off easily, but you won't have to worry about stuff getting underneath it.

i have to ask, just in case. RTV won't have any negative effect on the performance? It's just silicone as far as I know.

The MLs really have falsing problems caused by very little dirt between the cover and coil. If you ever wonder why it doesnt seem you can eliminate EMI.... check the coil. If you dont plan on reselling the coil.... spray the heck out of it. Its better than the 1/8 inch and air space the covers create. That said..... give it a year and take a look at the bottom of that cover.... i dont think you will have to ask the question about how much damage the ground can do especially if you keep the coil on the soil like i do.

Dew

Back
Top Bottom