New Equinox 800

bubbaron

Forum Supporter
I just assembled my new Equinox 800. I have it charging and when finished I want to set up a custom program. Not raining right now but everything here is very wet so I most likely won't hunt before Thursday or Friday. The transition should not be too hard since I have been using my 600 for at lease 3 1/2 months. Good luck to all and happy hunting.

Congratulations on the 800.

What kind of hunting you do mostly? Coinshooting parks/schools/yards, Gold Beach/tot lots, Relics Forts/campsites/fields or prospecting?

Newbie here from southern Wisconsin. Looking to hook up with others and go hunting.

Congratulations on the 800.

What kind of hunting you do mostly? Coinshooting parks/schools/yards, Gold Beach/tot lots, Relics Forts/campsites/fields or prospecting?
I hunt all kinds of sites and only dig dirt, coin shooting. Most of my sites are mainly clads but I do find some gold and silver. I love fairgrounds, kiddy parks, high school sports complexes, and outdoor flea market grounds. I hunt places where people go for entertainment and spend money.I just programed my new Nox 800 with five zones and five tones. This is a good program for my type of hunting. It's pouring rain here again so I will need several days of drying out before I can hunt. Everything here in my area is flooded badly. I live rural so I don't get floods here.

Excellent choice bubbaron. Sounds like my type of hunting.

When I feel there is a fair chance for gold I run in Park 2 Iron Bias at 1 and recovery at 8. Other than that all is factory. When choinshooting I use Park 1 and have notched out all but the nickle range (12-14) and except everything 19 and above. Also use the same Iron Bias 1 and recover at 8.

Love my 800.

Hi Bubbaron, I just got my Nox 800 2 days ago and I'm also waiting for the weather to clear up around here (Allentown Area). That, and for my mom to help watch my daughter so I can get some time out. Any advice or videos I should watch about setting up my Nox? It's my first detector. Any advice appreciated.

Hi Bubbaron, I just got my Nox 800 2 days ago and I'm also waiting for the weather to clear up around here (Allentown Area). That, and for my mom to help watch my daughter so I can get some time out. Any advice or videos I should watch about setting up my Nox? It's my first detector. Any advice appreciated.
Use the park 1 or park 2 programs until you have some hunting experience. I also recommend you do some coin readings in your yard so you have some idea what they sound like and the VID numbers. There are loads of videos on the net. Maybe we could do a hunt together, best way I know to show and explain things. I am retired so I can usually hunt anytime. I don't like hunting weekends, too many eyes. Send me a PM.

..... and when finished I want to set up a custom program. ......

First, stop worrying about "custom programs" Every newby to every detector wants the "secret settings". Here's the secret, THERE ARE NO SECRETS. Read your manual. Read it several times. Understand what each mode is designed for. Understand what the settings actually change for you. Set your detector for the actual conditions you are hunting in.

Newby advice for all detectors: put your detector in a stock mode and just use it. Put in a 100 hours before you start making all your random changes that your think you need right now. After 100 hours you will probably find you dont really need much change.

First, stop worrying about "custom programs" Every newby to every detector wants the "secret settings". Here's the secret, THERE ARE NO SECRETS. Read your manual. Read it several times. Understand what each mode is designed for. Understand what the settings actually change for you. Set your detector for the actual conditions you are hunting in.

Newby advice for all detectors: put your detector in a stock mode and just use it. Put in a 100 hours before you start making all your random changes that your think you need right now. After 100 hours you will probably find you dont really need much change.
I easily have over a 100 hours on the Nox600. I just want to set up my 800 for coin shooting and custom tones. This is part of the reason I got the 800.

I easily have over a 100 hours on the Nox600. I just want to set up my 800 for coin shooting and custom tones. This is part of the reason I got the 800.

Gotcha. In that case, the 800 is almost identical to the 600 for coins. Only true differences are the two gold modes (not really important here) and the 800 has a higher level of recovery speed options.

So for coin hunting, it will be the same. If you are in extremely heavy trash the highest speed will help a little more (at the cost of depth of course)

Congrats on your upgraded model! Now charge it and get out there and hunt....forget the rain. I find rain is one of the best times to hunt.

I totally agree and the rain isn't the issue. We've had over 6 1/2 " of rain between Mon & Tues. Digging in pure mud is not my idea of fun. I will hunt tomorrow when my wife gets home. She is in upstate NY and due back tomorrow. I will get to use the new 800.

I just got an EQNX800 (after running White's for years), and have it assembled and charged. Headphones paired. Been reading posts about it, and watching vids about it. I think I have a good enough grasp of the basics now. My plan is like what you recommend: Use the stock programs/settings until I'm used to it and understand it enough to feel the need for any settings changes. For some settings, this might be five minutes; for others it might be five years. Now I can't sleep; too excited about the new machine and new permissions I have lined up!

I just got an EQNX800 (after running White's for years), and have it assembled and charged. Headphones paired. Been reading posts about it, and watching vids about it. I think I have a good enough grasp of the basics now. My plan is like what you recommend: Use the stock programs/settings until I'm used to it and understand it enough to feel the need for any settings changes. For some settings, this might be five minutes; for others it might be five years. Now I can't sleep; too excited about the new machine and new permissions I have lined up!

Good luck with your new machine. use park 1 or park 2. Ground balance and maybe adjust sens. if noisy and hunt. I'll get out later today. Enjoy the new experience and hope you find lots of goodies. I have run my Nox 600 a good bit so I am more in tune with some program changes.

Good luck, and have patience at first. Its a hyper sensitive machine and if are in a place with lots of foil and aluminum trash its going to drive you crazy. Be patient and if its too much, move to a less trashy spot. once you get ears and brain tuned into the language of the EQX those trashy spots will be great hunting grounds.

You guys weren't joking about the sensitivity. My first hunt went pretty well, but there was a lot of blips and beeps going on everywhere. I recently started using audio tones on my old White's to get myself used to listening for specific tones. Sure glad I did, because it drove me nuts at first on my old machine, and would have been hard to deal with today without that practice.
Here's my post on the 1st hunt: http://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=264551

Back
Top Bottom