ATPro vs ATMax

wmgeorge

Forum Supporter
I just got my Nox600 and I really do not want to memorize all those numbers!! Its going back. My Whites MX6 shows the VDI readout on the screen and Icons suggesting what it could be as well as some nice tones.

I have always had a White and I just purchased a Ace250 for my wife. I am impressed. Thinking I would be happy with a waterproof new ATPro or ATMax with wireless, am I going down the wrong road?

If your impressed with the ace 250 your gonna really be happy with a at pro..Many people use the at pro for good reason,and thousands of posts and videos of awesome finds support why it’s still one of the most sought after machines out there.Just look at ebay,they sell like wildfire.
I owned a at max for about a week,I was just so usto the at pro that I didn’t give it a good chance..I don’t think you could go wrong with either.The brilliance of the at pro is you could give it to somone who never detected before and they would be making great finds immediately,it’s that easy to run and in my personal opinion that good in performance.I think you’ll be hooked if you ran one.

I just got my Nox600 and I really do not want to memorize all those numbers!!

The AT detectors have twice as many numbers as a Nox and a much smaller screen.

All joking aside, why do you think there are a bunch of numbers to remember?

If it's coins you're after, then on the NOX you're digging 12,13 and everything over about 20. That's not any different than the AT where you're digging 52/53 for nickels and anything over about 75 for copper and silver.

If you're after rings or tokens, they can generally be anywhere over iron.

In trashy areas there's no guarantee that coins will signal the same as they do in clean ground.

Whether the tones suit your ear is really important. I can't stand the AT Max tones. I like the ATPro tones a lot better, and they give A LOT of audio feedback, but they're still a bit 'in your face' and choppy. Run in Pro mode and turn the volume up to hear the faint signals, but be careful not to swing that coil over a shallow aluminum can. Yikes.

Last edited:
Tone sound is more important to me than the ID numbers. I find the Equinox much nicer to listen to than the AT Max. The AT Max is a great machine though. Kinda harsh, scratchy tones. Pick one and learn the language. Coincidentally, the Equinox uses a compressed ID number scale. Less numbers to memorize, I guess.

Tone sound is more important to me than the ID numbers. I find the Equinox much nicer to listen to than the AT Max. The AT Max is a great machine though. Kinda harsh, scratchy tones. Pick one and learn the language. Coincidentally, the Equinox uses a compressed ID number scale. Less numbers to memorize, I guess.

Well I have made up a "cheat sheet" on a index card, trimmed and taped to the side/back on the control panel on the NOX 600. The Whites M6 has icons and the VDI scale on the screen. So when I pick it up to use next month or so I don't need to remember, I just look. The M6 has 100 the Nox 50.

Does Garrett give a Veterans discount?

PS I have hearing issues anyway so the Tones may be not be an issue.

I agree that the AT series machines sound like garbage. The M6 is a fantastic machine and the sounds are very nuanced and informative. You cannot go wrong with it. I'll never get rid of mine.

I agree that the AT series machines sound like garbage. The M6 is a fantastic machine and the sounds are very nuanced and informative. You cannot go wrong with it. I'll never get rid of mine.

The At max sounds goofy
Love my At pro sounds better than the Equinox.

So the Max has on screen target ID, volume control, backlighted screen and wireless. Now on special with wireless pinpointer, wireless headphones are included. I think I am headed that direction. Going to get a RMA for the Nox 600 this morning.

I have to say I haven't seen many people dump the nox for a Garrett AT series lol.
Good luck

Last edited:
I have to say I haven't seen many people dump the nox for a Garrett AT series lol.
Good luck

The Garrett has on screen target ID. You don't need to press setup every-time you need to change something, the AT ProMax has buttons for that. The NOX was extremely squirrelly and bouncy. You needed to turn the Sensitively way down to get it out of that mode. It seemed to not have any filtering to keep out EMI or RFI, as my M6 was stable under the same conditions with the Sensitively set way high. Pinpointing did not seem as accurate as the M6.

I just wanted to add, the first M6 I had was purchased in 2009 to replace my 2 week old BH. Had until 2013 when I purchased another Whites to go gold prospecting in Alaska. Then sold everything and until 2017 when I purchased another M6.... used. Then I see Whites brought them back into their product line.
I may end up with a like new minty ATMax Pro (if I find one) now that the NOX is headed back.

Last edited:
Most people run Sensitivity way too high...period. If it’s popping and sparking ALL the time,it’s simply too high. Unless you are going after coins in super “clean ground” it’s not necessary. Coins are ROUND...and will have a distinct profile to the sound unless at a precarious angle and deeper. Coppers and silvers are highly conductive...easy to see again for a detector. Most of the time,unless you are COMPLETELY in touch with the machine,high sensitivity will hinder your ability to find coins. More importantly,it will hinder the MACHINES ability to find coins.
Whatever you decide to use,do NOT overrun the sensitivity...which is THE biggest mistake which is made by most hunters who are having difficulties across the board. When the AUDIO becomes unintelligible,your hunt is effectively over.

So whats a used still in Warranty ATMax worth with the wireless headphones and an extra 5x8 coil?

So whats a used still in Warranty ATMax worth with the wireless headphones and an extra 5x8 coil?

Just a opinion but I’ve buying and selling machines for awhile and the extra coil will not get you any more money for the at max or any machine really..Sell it seperate..As for the at max used,$550 and $75 for the 5x8..Put it on Craigslist,they eat Garrett machines up on there fast,best selling machine on Craigslist is the at pro or at max.

Just a opinion but I’ve buying and selling machines for awhile and the extra coil will not get you any more money for the at max or any machine really..Sell it seperate...

+1. This is exactly why I sold each assessory separately when I sold my AT Max. I would have gotten zero real value out of the 5x8 if I had sold it bundled with the machine. The 5x8 is a highly desireable assessory, especially since it’s cross-compatible with the AT Pro and AT Gold. If anyone sells their 5x8 bundled, they are doing themselves a great disservice, in my opinion.

FYI I am looking at purchasing this package not selling. He is not far from me here in Iowa and seems to be a decent guy. I think he is selling to get a NOX 800.

FYI I am looking at purchasing this package not selling. He is not far from me here in Iowa and seems to be a decent guy. I think he is selling to get a NOX 800.

Understood, wmgeorge - I was just adding to woodbutcher’s comment about selling. I should’ve clarified - as a buyer, you’re likely getting a good deal with the coil bundled.

Understood, wmgeorge - I was just adding to woodbutcher’s comment about selling. I should’ve clarified - as a buyer, you’re likely getting a good deal with the coil bundled.

Actually that deal went away and I am on a package one the guy got from Amazon in November 2018 that still has 16 months warranty according to Garrett. It has the Wireless headphones and pin Pointer included. So we shall see.

My NOX 600 would have been great if I was say 30-50 and wanted to learn. But when books are written so you know how to use the Equinox, vs detectors that are just as capable that are more or less plug and play with little learning curve. That is why I went with the Max. I have used my Whites M6 for 10 years and more than likely will keep.

Back
Top Bottom