River Hunt Maybe Some Real Oldies.

rcptuna

Elite Member
Hit a river today that runs through a lot of colonial land and colonist have used this river since the early 1600's. Combed the banks and woods with a lot of junky targets. Found part of a very old saw that reads Richard Graves & son Sheffield and was founded in 1770. I'd say the part I found was early to mid 1800's. I also found a very early religious metal one side is Mary and the other Jesus. While cleaning my junk I have 2 very interesting finds that I think are coins. One might be a cob and the other a six pence?? Both these coins read the same as the silver mercury dime on my machine. I can clearly see the mark on the possible cob, and the holed coin is larger than a nickle and smaller than a half penny. It measures up exact size to a six pence in the book I have.

Maybe I'm crackin up, but maybe not.

HH All..thats happy hunting & holidays!

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 652
  • 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 667
  • 1910-Catalog-TATHS-560[1].jpg
    1910-Catalog-TATHS-560[1].jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 650
  • 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 694
  • 004.jpg
    004.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 663
  • 005.jpg
    005.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 662
  • 006.jpg
    006.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 660
  • 007.jpg
    007.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 649
  • 008.jpg
    008.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 656
  • 009.jpg
    009.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 661
  • 010.jpg
    010.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 646
Sounds like you need to hit that place super hard again.. cool finds for sure..

This is the type of hunt I have been thinking about for a while, along the waterways!! May b worth a return trip , sometimes takes a few outings at a new site for goods to show.
New breed of River Tuna?:lol:
Merry Christmas!!

I think you have a very good potential site along that river. Keep at it! Maybe with a bit more restoration and magnification those other finds will prove to be coins. Cool saw parts and religious medal too.

all that crap

Funny thing all that aluminum and copper crap we find these days is worth a few buck $$$ per pound. I save mine and take it to the scrap yard when the weight gets worth while.
I think your good finds are really neat! Great going finding a river to work this time of year what with all the cold weather. :yes::yes: Nice dime.

Thanks for the comments.

Thanks for the comments.

I don't think I'll ever get an ID off those coins just to worn and decayed.
This may have been it, since they are predicting snow Sunday into Monday.

Thanks For The Cheers ALL!

Looks like that was my last colonial hunt for a while with the 14 inches and falling we got last night.

Time to hit the beaches...bring on the North Easters!!

Stay warm everyone.

HH

Back
Top Bottom