Friendly Metal Detecting Forums   Big boys Hobbies
List all sponsors

Go Back   Friendly Metal Detecting Forums > Metal Detecting > Find a Hunting Buddy

Notices

Reply
  
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 03-05-2013, 03:57 PM
nova3351's Avatar
nova3351 nova3351 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Boise, ID
Posts: 306
Default Sonoma County California

I am hoping to find someone around the Sonoma, Marin, Napa or Mendocino County that would like to hook up for a hunt in May. My family and I are coming down around May 1st and staying until around May 10th in Santa Rosa, Ca. I grew up here but have been away for 18 years so I was hoping I could hook up with someone for a fun hunt day. Thanks

__________________
Minelab CTX 3030/XP Deus

Reply With Quote


  #2  
Old 03-05-2013, 04:18 PM
roob47's Avatar
roob47 roob47 is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Patterson , ca
Posts: 1,294
Default

Hey nova I'm sure there are some Sonoma county hunters that will be chiming In soon they seem like a good bunch of guys , good luck and happy hunting.

__________________
AT GOLD/ACE 250//DUAL FIELD P.I.

Reply With Quote


  #3  
Old 03-07-2013, 07:45 PM
nova3351's Avatar
nova3351 nova3351 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Boise, ID
Posts: 306
Default

Thanks Roob, looking forward to a good time. I have permission to an old winery while down there too so maybe someone will pique their interests.

__________________
Minelab CTX 3030/XP Deus

Reply With Quote


  #4  
Old 03-17-2013, 06:43 PM
Bud999's Avatar
Bud999 Bud999 is offline
Supporter
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 685
Default

I am in the East Bay and wouldnt mind meeting up to hunt when you come down here.

__________________
DigginHoles- Etrac. Silver 2013-73

Reply With Quote


  #5  
Old 03-18-2013, 12:59 AM
zcmacphearson zcmacphearson is offline
New Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Petaluma, CA
Posts: 1
Default

Hey Nova. I'm in Petaluma and been lookin for somefolks to go with. I havent got any good leads for the best places but I'd be willing to meet up while your down here on your trip. Just found another guy on another forum who may be down for a hunt too. Let me know and lets make it happen!

Cheers,
Zach
Reply With Quote


  #6  
Old 03-18-2013, 02:45 AM
SEmer1969's Avatar
SEmer1969 SEmer1969 is offline
Full Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Incheon, South Korea
Posts: 213
Default Napa Area

I'm out in the Napa area so pretty close. Have a few spots that I've been researching and would certainly enjoy the company. I think I've already burned the kids out on the hobby with how long I stay out

Stephen
Reply With Quote


  #7  
Old 03-18-2013, 10:57 AM
nova3351's Avatar
nova3351 nova3351 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Boise, ID
Posts: 306
Default

Awesome, I'll try and send you guys a message later this week as I'm at work right now. My step dad is an operations manager of a winery in Healdsburg that was built in the 1800's and gave permission to search the area.

__________________
Minelab CTX 3030/XP Deus

Reply With Quote


  #8  
Old 03-18-2013, 05:50 PM
Bud999's Avatar
Bud999 Bud999 is offline
Supporter
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 685
Default

Sounds awesome!

__________________
DigginHoles- Etrac. Silver 2013-73

Reply With Quote


  #9  
Old 04-05-2013, 03:12 PM
Leah Levy Leah Levy is offline
New Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 1
Talking Newb

Hello,
I live in Sonoma and am brand new, so I have some catching up to do. Looking for ways to figure out where in Sonoma County is okay for treasure hunting....Leah
Reply With Quote


  #10  
Old 08-26-2015, 06:21 PM
Worm Slicer Worm Slicer is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Forestville, CA
Posts: 54
Default

Forestville, The Good Life, here. In SR and Sebastopol daily. I'd like to partner up to canvass some big areas, both public and private.
Reply With Quote


  #11  
Old 08-26-2015, 10:54 PM
metaladdict's Avatar
metaladdict metaladdict is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Northern , Cantaffordya.
Posts: 10,205
Default

this thread is two years old?

__________________
Detectors. Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250. Minelab Sov Elite. Equinox 800.
They can have my metal detector when they pry it from my cold dead hands!! John 14:6.

Reply With Quote


  #12  
Old 08-27-2015, 03:56 PM
Worm Slicer Worm Slicer is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Forestville, CA
Posts: 54
Default

I guess so. I found it by searching "Sonoma". Well I'm a new member in the SR-West County area.
Reply With Quote


  #13  
Old 10-08-2018, 06:22 PM
Leo707 Leo707 is offline
New Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 2
Default

Originally Posted by nova3351 View post
I am hoping to find someone around the Sonoma, Marin, Napa or Mendocino County that would like to hook up for a hunt in May. My family and I are coming down around May 1st and staying until around May 10th in Santa Rosa, Ca. I grew up here but have been away for 18 years so I was hoping I could hook up with someone for a fun hunt day. Thanks
I live in vallejo

But i like to know where can i go in sonoma to do hunting with my metal detector please any recomendations?
Reply With Quote


  #14  
Old 10-08-2018, 07:01 PM
Tom_in_CA's Avatar
Tom_in_CA Tom_in_CA is online now
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 7,922
Default

Originally Posted by Leo707 View post
I live in vallejo

But i like to know where can i go in sonoma to do hunting with my metal detector please any recomendations?
Leo707, welcome aboard.

As for your question : What is your objectives of type stuff to chase ? Eg.: jewelry ? Old coins ? relics ? nuggets ? Etc....

If it's jewelry, then any swimming beach (fresh or salt water) are your best odds .

If it's nuggets, then Sonoma is in the wrong part of CA for that.

If it's "old coins" (new coins are boring after all, eh ? ) or relicky type persuits, then you're going to be in a bit of a pickle asking that question. It would be like asking a trout fisherman: "Where's your trophy trout holes on the creek ?" They might clam up. Unfortunately, old coins are not a renewing resource, as is jewelry on the beach (or never ending like nuggets or whatever).

There is a monthly club meeting in Santa Rosa. If you attended there, and paid close attention to who's bringing in oldies to show & tell, you *might* be able to befriend them, buddy up, etc.... I say "might", because even then/there, some are tight-lipped if they've got a good site. Eg.: defunct resort spots, stage stops, old camp grounds, etc....

You just have to research.

I will say this: Your part of CA has a LONG history of m'ding. Hunters plying those parks since the 1960s even. I've tried a few old parks in your area (Napa, for instance), and you have to be very skilled to pull any more silver out of them. If all else fails, you can knock on doors and do the yards of old homes. Or watch for old town urban demolition tearouts (old town sidewalk tearouts, or building teardowns, for instance. And get in there before they dig too deep, and/or before fill-dirt is added.
Reply With Quote


  #15  
Old 10-08-2018, 07:49 PM
Leo707 Leo707 is offline
New Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 2
Default

Originally Posted by Tom_in_CA View post
Leo707, welcome aboard.

As for your question : What is your objectives of type stuff to chase ? Eg.: jewelry ? Old coins ? relics ? nuggets ? Etc....

If it's jewelry, then any swimming beach (fresh or salt water) are your best odds .

If it's nuggets, then Sonoma is in the wrong part of CA for that.

If it's "old coins" (new coins are boring after all, eh ? ) or relicky type persuits, then you're going to be in a bit of a pickle asking that question. It would be like asking a trout fisherman: "Where's your trophy trout holes on the creek ?" They might clam up. Unfortunately, old coins are not a renewing resource, as is jewelry on the beach (or never ending like nuggets or whatever).

There is a monthly club meeting in Santa Rosa. If you attended there, and paid close attention to who's bringing in oldies to show & tell, you *might* be able to befriend them, buddy up, etc.... I say "might", because even then/there, some are tight-lipped if they've got a good site. Eg.: defunct resort spots, stage stops, old camp grounds, etc....

You just have to research.

I will say this: Your part of CA has a LONG history of m'ding. Hunters plying those parks since the 1960s even. I've tried a few old parks in your area (Napa, for instance), and you have to be very skilled to pull any more silver out of them. If all else fails, you can knock on doors and do the yards of old homes. Or watch for old town urban demolition tearouts (old town sidewalk tearouts, or building teardowns, for instance. And get in there before they dig too deep, and/or before fill-dirt is added.

I like to find old coins

But i don t konw if you know the sonoma raceway there is a big parking lot

Icanni go there or is iliigal
Reply With Quote


  #16  
Old 10-08-2018, 10:10 PM
Tom_in_CA's Avatar
Tom_in_CA Tom_in_CA is online now
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 7,922
Default

Originally Posted by Leo707 View post
I like to find old coins

But i don t konw if you know the sonoma raceway there is a big parking lot .....
Uhhh, why would you detect a "Parking lot" ? I'm looking at it now, on google satellite and street view. That's paved. Not even gravel (or extremely hard-packed, if so). And it only dates to the mid to late 1960s (not old). So I don't understand why you'd have that in mind for "old coins".
Reply With Quote


  #17  
Old 10-09-2018, 12:40 AM
metaladdict's Avatar
metaladdict metaladdict is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Northern , Cantaffordya.
Posts: 10,205
Default

In Sonoma you can go to playgrounds,soccer fields, etc. I've been there, never really found an old coin.

__________________
Detectors. Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250. Minelab Sov Elite. Equinox 800.
They can have my metal detector when they pry it from my cold dead hands!! John 14:6.

Reply With Quote


  #18  
Old 10-09-2018, 07:29 AM
Tom_in_CA's Avatar
Tom_in_CA Tom_in_CA is online now
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 7,922
Default

Originally Posted by metaladdict View post
... never really found an old coin.
And .... alas .... such is the story for ANYONE picking up a machine in current times, for hard-hit areas. They rush to the same obvious parks. And read the SAME history books that we did 20 or 30+ yrs. ago. Rushing out to the SAME "country picnic sites" and "stage stops", etc.... that we did 20 or 30 yrs. ago.

When I think back, at some of the places that were our "stomping grounds" (nice old silver), I wouldn't touch some of those places now, with a 10 ft. pole. You'd have to be one-sly-feller to pull any additional out. And pity-the-poor newbie who shows up now

However, there's geographic zones which didn't get the research, or that the sites (stage stops, picnic sites, etc...) were not "obvious historic colorful spots". The more obscure it was/is (while at the same time, experiencing heavy use), then more likely it is that I'll get off my duff to investigate. But any spot that's "no secret to the history books", I tend to be on my guard about. However, as I say, it's a geographic thing. Oddly, if I travel a mere 100 miles, I find spots that it defies logic, that no one ever pursued before.
Reply With Quote


  #19  
Old 12-07-2018, 01:16 PM
Jellyrama Jellyrama is offline
New Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Marin (CA), Oberlin (OH)
Posts: 3
Default

Hey all, I'm new to the site and just saw this thread. I'm from Marin and while I go to college out of state I headed back for the holidays and a bit after and would love to meet up with someone.
Reply With Quote


Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Howdy from Ventura County California NatureSprite General Hobby Discussion 11 08-16-2013 08:30 PM
New from Orange County California CladiatorMax General Hobby Discussion 2 05-06-2012 12:59 AM
Orange County California find glenc Coinshooters and Relic Hunters 11 01-08-2012 06:12 PM
New to md'ing{Orange county California} van Research and Getting Permission 2 02-27-2009 03:42 AM
Ventura County, California SIMILISA Find a Hunting Buddy 2 06-14-2007 02:33 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:52 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.