Northeastern beaches in winter

JOFO17

I don't get to the beaches in South Jersey in the winter because unless I'm in Atlantic city I just don't go down there in the winter. But I was curious, do other MD'ers not go because it is too cold or because with no swimmers on the beach there is less to be found?

A beach in Connecticut I've MDed in the winter, they bulldoze a lot of the sand back up from the water into a high bank, to try to save it from storms I guess. Most things must be buried deep. I found a little clad. the rest of the beach was just rocks and really decomposed canslaw. I'd like to get to the beach in the winter (there are some warm days), but I'll skip that one!

I don't get to the beaches in South Jersey in the winter because unless I'm in Atlantic city I just don't go down there in the winter. But I was curious, do other MD'ers not go because it is too cold or because with no swimmers on the beach there is less to be found?

I mainly hunt only in the winter months... I do not beach hunt too much during the summer months as I am not a fresh drop hunter... I'm looking for old ground and winter hunting helps that because during the fall and winter sand usually moves out to deeper water exposing the old ground I seek... during the spring and summer the sand moves back in.

I have gone out in the winter and it is a totally different type of hunting you are waiting for those big winter storms to come and move some sand. There can be stuff found pretty much any time of year the summer it is easier to find stuff because there are people loosing stuff every day. In the winter time there are a lot of times you are hunting 3 hours and come back with just a handful of coins. AC can be good anytime of year because you have people coming there all year long and if someone has never seen the ocean you better believe they are going to walk on the beach.

I love the OFF season at the beaches. Less traffic...crowds...and better parking usually for free. Heading to OC MD in March for 4 days. Equinox in hand? Depends on the field reports.

The next time I go down that way I will give it a shot. Is it safe to say that in the winter, as close to the water line as possible is the best spot to look?

Winter in OC you have to look for erosion, shells, rocks, cuts..soft sand is not good. I would join Surf Diggers facebook page, Brian gives a lot of great tips..for the Jersey Shores. Which are just like the Delaware n OC beach's.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/Jerseyshorebeachandsurfhunters/

The southern jersey beach’s are like Delaware and Maryland beaches. Above island beach it is a lot different as the northern beaches are not flat they have slopes and high banks and some have jetties that change how the beach cuts out.

I hunt in Rhode Island and for the most part can work the beaches all year long.

I've never not hunted the beach because it was "too cold" for me, dress for it and it's not a problem. (I've hunted in single digit weather with high wind)

But if it stays really cold (below 20 for at least a week straight) then the beach can freeze solid and it's done.

There is always stuff at the beach. My favorite - and most productive - beach has seen little to no activity for the last 30+ years. Everything I find is older than that. Silver outnumbers clad!

So yeah, go hit the beach.

The next time I go down that way I will give it a shot. Is it safe to say that in the winter, as close to the water line as possible is the best spot to look?

Not necessarily.

I've dug silver coins from the low tide line to above the high tide line. You never know where a wave or storm surge can deposit things. But they're usually down in the wet sand.

That being said, look for cuts, erosions and rocks, rocks are your friends. Rocks are heavy and get left in certain spots, silver, gold, and coins are heavy to.

I don't like the cold, so I only hit the beaches in winter after huge storms - assuming the storm didn't bring the sand in...

Rhode Island Beaches

Hi,

Is anyone looking for a partner to detect the beaches around Rhode Island, MA and CT..?

Just getting back into the hobby.

It's boring going out by yourself.

Thank you

I hunt in Rhode Island and for the most part can work the beaches all year long.

I've never not hunted the beach because it was "too cold" for me, dress for it and it's not a problem. (I've hunted in single digit weather with high wind)

But if it stays really cold (below 20 for at least a week straight) then the beach can freeze solid and it's done.

There is always stuff at the beach. My favorite - and most productive - beach has seen little to no activity for the last 30+ years. Everything I find is older than that. Silver outnumbers clad!

So yeah, go hit the beach.

That's true. If you you hunt below the tide line it never freezes.

Back
Top Bottom