Sharks

Most sharks are not a problem. We often see them when we dive (scuba) but here in the islands there's only 4 types we need to stay away from, Tigers, Hammer Heads, Galapagos and Oceanic White tips. and they fortunately, stay out of the shallows were we MD.

Most times when a shark bites it a mistake thinking your a seal or similar prey. Sharks think we taste bad and spit us out as soon as they realize which is why there are very few deaths from shark bite.

Do I worry about sharks, not really I worry more about that neighbor's dog than I do sharks.

I've had a huge spinner jump about 3 ft from me when I was surfing and have a buddy that was attacked about 15 yrs ago while surfing. I hate sharks and wish there was something that would keep them away but none of the devices out there work in the slightest.

I've had a huge spinner jump about 3 ft from me when I was surfing and have a buddy that was attacked about 15 yrs ago while surfing. I hate sharks and wish there was something that would keep them away but none of the devices out there work in the slightest.

I've been seeing some research lately that strong magnets, like neodidium magnets, can actually repel sharks. Sharks have little pits all over their snouts (Ampullae of Lorenzini) used for picking up the bio-electric signatures of critters. Useful in murky water and such. The strong magnets they say mess with that sense saying its like being in a dark room then having someone suddenly turn on bright lights. When they get close to sense the magnetic field and they make a quick about-face.

"Avoid wearing jewelry, watches, or other shiny objects in the water. Their metallic glint may look like the silvery scales of a fish to sharks."

Oh sure, they've got to include THAT. :mad: Totally takes the fun out of our hobby.

My bet is Mud has been following those sharks with his pooper scooper waiting for the ring to pop out the other end. :laughing:

R5

Old topic brought up again. Mimic what a shark is afraid of.. aka the killer whale.
A shark is very primitive. A killer whale is intelligent

I was just shown a video on facebook of a 15 ft. great white at Fernandina Fla. They are out there......

Ive been close enough to sharks for them to swim around me and check me out........I don't ever want to be that close again

Old topic brought up again. Mimic what a shark is afraid of.. aka the killer whale.
A shark is very primitive. A killer whale is intelligent

:lol: A human could try to mimic a killer whale , but somehow I don't think its gonna fool the shark :laughing:

:lol: A human could try to mimic a killer whale , but somehow I don't think its gonna fool the shark :laughing:

Wetsuit that looks like it. Speaker/vibrator that makes the same sounds as a pod of killer whales in hunting mode (attached to belt or ankle?).

Almost instantly the shark will change it's behaviour.
The real trick is making a surfboard look and sound like a killer whale.

I've been seeing some research lately that strong magnets, like neodidium magnets, can actually repel sharks. Sharks have little pits all over their snouts (Ampullae of Lorenzini) used for picking up the bio-electric signatures of critters. Useful in murky water and such. The strong magnets they say mess with that sense saying its like being in a dark room then having someone suddenly turn on bright lights. When they get close to sense the magnetic field and they make a quick about-face.

The magnets do work but only huge ones that are really strong and not possible to carry around. The magnets they sell you for your wrist/ankle do nothing. There is a video of a shark eating the shark band, a band magnet designed to repel sharks:

I had a run in with a bull shark at Rancocas Creek (very murky fresh water that connects to salt water) here in Jersey. Luckily I was in shallow water in low tide just below the knees and seen it having a hard time thrashing about trying to get close to me about 10 yards away. It was covering ground pretty quick but I was only about 6 feet away from dry land. I quickly walked up the bank and watched it swim by a few seconds later and it disappeared. This was a few years ago and I haven't returned to that spot again. It was very nerve racking, scary and shocking to know that I was seconds away from possibly losing a leg. I will never wade in murky water around here again...EVER.

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 454
I dont blame you one bit there Sir! A bullshark will suck the calf muscle off a wading guys leg like a chicken drummie down at BWW on Super Bowl Weekend! I hate sharks..especially Bullsharks...on account of they go up rivers and such...sheesh! Cant a guy get a break?

I'm far more wary of my fellow human being than I am of a shark.

Back
Top Bottom