Hello from North East Mississippi

Chris Crawford

Hello Everyone. I came across this website while doing a Google search for metal detecting information. I don't have a metal detector yet, but I've been interested in detecting, and imagined it would be fun to do, since I was a kid. I have lots of questions, so I'm sure I'll wearing out the search function.

My current hobby that I've been involved in for the last 16 years or so is knife making. I primarily make folding knives. I know how valuable these types of forums are because they were my prime source of learning when I started making knives. This was before the days of Facebook, Instagram, etc. The knife forums are somewhat still active, but not like they were in the past. One thing that struck me about the Friendly Metal Detecting Forum was how active it seems to be.

As I mentioned, I don't have a metal detector at this time. My goal is to learn what I can about the hobby, and then make a purchase. Therefore, I'm hoping to be able to do some research and get some good advice from the members of this forum.

Thanks -Chris

Welcome from South Carolina !!!!

Many members here that are glad to answer questions !

As far as deciding on which detector might be best for you it will help the members to offer suggestions if they know what type detecting you will be doing, only on dry land or also in water and at the beach, also what price range you need to stay within.

:mder:_____:mder: _____:mder:_____:mder:

Welcome from wv! I’ll help when I can, there’s many geniuses here and a few smarta$$ but it’s the best place to be lol

Bounty hunter - treasure hunter - cabelas
Best find to date - 15g platinum ring and 1876 love token

Welcome from Tupelo. I have only been metal detecting for about 3 years. But is sure is fun when I find the time to go.

Thanks everyone!

Hey Snap-On-Man, I'm in Saltillo! I may need to hit you up for some advice and an outing when I get hooked up.

I'll start a new thread concerning what kind of searching I might be doing, my price range for a detector, and whatnot. Would this forum be the best place to open that thread, or would the "Advice on Detector Purchase" form. That forum seems to be more more specifically related to my query, but this forums seems to be more active.

Welcome from Boston Chris. As a knife maker, i’m Guessing you might be a fan of the “Forged in Fire” series on the History Channel. Some interesting bladesmithing there.
Jim

Yea, Jim. I do enjoy "Forged in Fire". It's done a lot for generating interest the knife making. I know several of the guys who have been on the show, and I've filmed some instructional DVDs with J. Neilson, one of the judges.

A couple of years ago one of my sons was in a national bridge building competition in Portland Maine, and my wife and I went up there with him. While we were up there our anniversary rolled around, so we decided to take a day trip to Boston and really enjoyed it. I wouldn't mind going back one day.

Back
Top Bottom