Texas Newbie - Good value detectors for kids

shanes

Howdy, I just posted my intro to the General Topics forum so I'll try to not repeat to much of that here.
http://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=54399

I am considering buying a metal detector for my kids (ok, and me too). My 3rd grade son (9yrs) is interested in forming his school science project around metal detecting. He enjoyed panning for gold in Colorado this summer and likes watching Meteor Men on TV.

I have seen some recommendations already about the Garrett ACE 150/250 here but that is a bit more than I was hoping to spend and I don't like to splurge on kids stuff. Having said that, if stepping up from a cheap $50 unit like the Bounty Hunter Junior to their $90 Tracker IV or Quick Silver (or from their to the Garretts) is well worth the cost, I would consider doing so. So please educate me on what I would be getting for the money.

Also, please keep in mind that my son is only 4 1/2 feet tall so I would like to find something he can physically handle.

Thanks for all of your suggestions!

Thanks, Shane

Hi Shane & welcome to the forum. A Tesoro Compadre is a good little machine & very easy to use, might not be as deep as the big dogs but will find stuff that they can't. Hard to find a used one as everyone that has one keeps them, new price is $151.20 Steve.

Attachments

• compadre.jpg
    compadre.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 195
Steve's right the Tesoro Compadre is the perfect detector to start with.
Uncomplicated, turn on and go easy to use detector that will find good stuff. Short learning curve, that should keep a youngster interested in digging for at least a few hours, because he will be finding stuff.
Find a school yard with swing sets etc., this makes a good training ground.
lots of targets.

I saw a Compadre go for $75.00 on Craigs list, have a friend that lived near the seller, just couldn't get him to go and get it. It's no longer posted.

Its well worth the cost to pay a little more if you can. In most cases you get what you pay for and the cheapies can really make a person give up on the hobby quick. Like the others said , the Tesoro compadre is the best value for the money and easy enough for anybody to use.

The Tracker IV is a good one to start with too. It's $100 or less new. It's well built, easy to use, and has great battery life. I started out with it and did great - paid for itself in clad alone some 7 times over in the first year.

Thanks!

Thanks for all of the advice, please keep it coming.

I will take a hard look at the Tesoro Compadre based on all of the feedback so far.

I also found a used Tracker IV on our local Craigslist posting, offered for $60 with the claim it is like new.

Back
Top Bottom