Minelab and the military, bad experience

Fschg

Here is my experience with ML and communication. I c&p it from another forum where I posted this:

So I was in the market for a GPX 5000 and a CTX 3030 since they offer a 15% discount for service members. I am stationed with the US Air Force on a base in Germany. I contacted a dealer in the US to order the machines. The dealer wrote me back that he could not sell to me since I am not in the US. He actually said he contacted ML and they told him so. I explained to him that I am on orders and even submitted a copy of my mil. ID card. Still no chance to get the machines. So I went ahead and bought both machines in Europe for a pretty penny PLUS 19% tax.

A little later I contacted the US dealer again to buy some accessories for both machines, only to find out that he was also not able to sell me any accessories for the same reason. I got so mad and contacted ML USA direct to complain. I wrote them not only don't I get the 15% discount, I actually have to pay a much higher price since they won't allow me to buy stateside.

Two days later ML answered that they do allow sales to military members overseas! They asked for the dealers name to inform him about this too. Great for future sales but bad for me. I just send a s*** load of money on a GPX 5000, a CTX 3030, the CTX17, ProSwing45 and some more ML accessories. Lesson learned.

Bad communicatiin between ML and the dealer cost me a pretty penny. I actually bought two GPX since the wife wanted one as well. The second one was a trade in. I found another dealer, River Team Six Detectors, he took three of my machines and offered me a GPX 5000 for them. So at least I did not loose much on the second deal. Still frustrating because I could have spend the money I lost on coils. This experience made me buy Detech coils instead of ML coils, because I was just not willing to throw more money at ML. Thank you Dacid ftom RT6 Metal Detectors for a very smooth transaction. I am sure I will buy from you again.

Last edited:
Well,
I have seen where at least one dealer/sponsor here offers discount to military folks.

Myself being retired AF,,I think I am also eligible but have never took advantage.

The only thing I can see here,,,is shipping costs abroad,,if they give you a percentage discount.

Sounds like now they do offer the service woman and men abroad a discount.

One would think Minlab since they did finally make the decision they did,,,would have at least offered you discounts on some accessories at least.

You bought some nice detectors.

Cheers

Oh one question.

Did you ask initially if you could have your "discounted " detector shipped stateside to a relative in lieu of shipping overseas to you??

We do receive our mail by USPS so shipping is actually not more expensive compared to conus. I did give the dealer all my details including my APO address and informed him about that.

Let me say this very clearly, I do not believe it was the dealers fault in the first place. I do believe he contacted ML and they told him he could not sell to me.

When I contacted ML USA, the first responds was that they had to look into this. Two days later I got a second email confirming that dealers can sell to overseas military members. Could the dealer have been more persistent? Maybe! Well I was and I finally got a good answer. In the end it was too late and I lost a chunk of money.

My real beef with ML is that they did not communicate well with the dealer. They offer a 15% discount for US service members, and did not restrict that to, for example, the lower 48 or so. So sure I jump on that because I am willing to spend about $8000 on ML detectors and accessories.

But ok lesson learned, maybe First Texas or even Garrett comes out with something similar to the GPX and it gives me more options to choose from next time. For now I am licking my wounds from this experience.

Last edited:
Sorry to hear that. I wish you would have contacted ML to corroborate the dealer's claims first before dropping that amount of cash. As you said, it doesn't make sense why ML would not offer the discounts to overseas members.

Did you ask initially if you could have your "discounted " detector shipped stateside to a relative in lieu of shipping overseas to you??

It didn't even come that far, the dealer shut the door before we could look into a more "creative" way of handling this deal.

Here is my experience with ML and communication. I c&p it from another forum where I posted this:

So I was in the market for a GPX 5000 and a CTX 3030 since they offer a 15% discount for service members. I am stationed with the US Air Force on a base in Germany. I contacted a dealer in the US to order the machines. The dealer wrote me back that he could not sell to me since I am not in the US. He actually said he contacted ML and they told him so. I explained to him that I am on orders and even submitted a copy of my mil. ID card. Still no chance to get the machines. So I went ahead and bought both machines in Europe for a pretty penny PLUS 19% tax.

A little later I contacted the US dealer again to buy some accessories for both machines, only to find out that he was also not able to sell me any accessories for the same reason. I got so mad and contacted ML USA direct to complain. I wrote them not only don't I get the 15% discount, I actually have to pay a much higher price since they won't allow me to buy stateside.

Two days later ML answered that they do allow sales to military members overseas! They asked for the dealers name to inform him about this too. Great for future sales but bad for me. I just send a s*** load of money on a GPX 5000, a CTX 3030, the CTX17, ProSwing45 and some more ML accessories. Lesson learned.

Bad communicatiin between ML and the dealer cost me a pretty penny. I actually bought two GPX since the wife wanted one as well. The second one was a trade in. I found another dealer, River Team Six Detectors, he took three of my machines and offered me a GPX 5000 for them. So at least I did not loose much on the second deal. Still frustrating because I could have spend the money I lost on coils. This experience made me buy Detech coils instead of ML coils, because I was just not willing to throw more money at ML. Thank you Dacid ftom RT6 Metal Detectors for a very smooth transaction. I am sure I will buy from you again.

Folks who don't know about military APO shipping can really get confused. Sorry that happened!

Fschg,

Thank you for your service!

ML should comp you some goodies or send you a check to your APO address, just to prove they can mail to an APO. Minelab are listening!

I'm a Vet, and about to buy my second high end Minelab MD, (CTX) or maybe not. If this is how service members are treated, ill not buy from them.

Tedd

Seems to me if you are in the position to buy those expensive machines, that discount should not be a big consequence.

TreasureHawk decided to send me this PM:

"As a military man, you seem to lack disciplined resolve, fortitude and character. Your crying about your lost discount shows a huge lack of strength of character.

Suck it up and move on. "
Unquote

Who is he to tell me what to do? Cowardly by PM instead out here in the open? Question my character? really????? This is the icing of the cake. I asked the administration of the board to take care of this matter. This is in line with the "chain of command"

TreasureHawk, the forum is called "Friendly Metal Detecting Forum". By questioning my discipline, fortitude, character and strength, you are way out of line with what the forum stands for. You should be ashamed of yourself.

First off thanks for your service.
I'm sorry but I can't help but think you paying the extra coin is your own doing. You are the one that figured out they can sell and ship overseas. Unfortunately you were hasty in your purchase and found out after buying elsewhere. If it where me and the discount was that big of a deal to me I would have pursued it more prior to my purchase. You situation with the purchase and being overseas isn't the norm so it would be a learning curve for most dealers and maybe even Minelab employees as well. You can't fault people for taking time to learn the protocol for a situation like this. After all you were the one that went to others sources and spent the extra money before totally exhausting your options. Heck I probably would have done the same just trying to get my hands on my new toys! But in the end your basically bashing Minelab for not getting your answer fast enough on a abnormal situation. That doesn't seem right either.

My problem was, that I asked the same dealer who I trusted. I asked several times if he could ship, and I trusted him when he said ML will not allow. He told me he contacted ML direct. Lesson learned!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom