Time to eat some crow

choppadude

Forum Supporter
AS both a Deus owner as well as a CTX 3030 owner I have made some statement in the past concerning these units and what I felt the strong points of each unit were. Like many others that own both units I was from the belief that the CTX was the king of coinshooters and the Deus took top prize in the Relic hunting.
I am here to tell you today that I was WRONG!
Case in point, one turn of the century park that I have been hunting off and on for over 25 years just stopped giving silver a few years back. I would go once in awhile only to be skunked yet again. Once in a great while I might hit an Indian head or two but not much more. When I bought my E trac I was able to pull some silver and when I bought the CTX I was pulling even more silver out including a couple Barber quarters and a deep seated dime. Eventually it petered out with only an occasional deep coin coming out and not much else old.
It was about this time I received the 11 X 13 coil for the Deus as well and purchased a second remote for the Deus "Lite" I picked up. I thought that maybe this park would be a good testing ground for the coil and remote so off I went.
I tried several coin programs as well as making a couple new programs. Believe it or not I ended up settling for a Relic program I had built with just a few tweaks. And boy did it get some results!
Now don't get me wrong, in other areas of the park where there was a large amount of newer trash, the Deus would drive me nuts but in this one area where the targets were deep the Deus was hitting them at 8 - 12 inches. Now I am the first guy to roll his eyes when someone starts talking about pulling a dime at 12" but seeing is believing and I saw it with my own two eyes. I was able to pull out many Wheaties as well as V nickels, Buffalos, Indian heads, War nickels, Mercury dimes and 3 cufflinks from an area that the CTX would not give a peep out of. The Deus hit on these deep coins with a good solid signal in both directions. A couple of them I had almost given up on as I figured it was too deep to be a coin!
There is a very noticeable difference in depth when increasing the TX power setting and that is just what the doctor ordered for this spot. The pics show a couple hours at this spot using the Deus. Pulled out more coins in this hunt than the last 3 hunts with the CTX.

I now have to give a very honorable mention to the Sorex Pro since I also took it to this spot one day for a couple hour hunt and was not disappointed. Not only did I find many deep Wheaties but also some silver and not one but 2 Gold rings! And like the Deus, these targets were mostly in the 10 - 12 inch range! I do not have a lot of hours on the Sorex yet but if this is the sign of things to come then I am going to love this machine. Using the poly tones is almost like using Full tones and the Deus, a nice little Flutey tone that is so pleasant to the ears. I did have one issue with the audio breaking up on me from time to time but am hoping this is site related since there are a few fast food restaurants nearby using wireless transmitters for their drive through.

Now in closing I do not want anyone to think that I am saying the deus is a better coin machine than the CTX and vice versa. At a recent relic hunt I had a friend with a CTX3030 kick my Deus butt at digging bullets and in the scenario I spoke of above the Deus kicked the CTX's butt at coinshooting. It is very much dependent on the site, conditions, topography as well as many other variable. The key is to know which machine excels under which conditions.
So I'm am here to tell you today, the Deus is an awesome coin hunting machines

Great, I think you just cost me some money...gonna have to get the bigger coil for my lite!

Well i feel somewhat vindicated by your post, i have posted in the past of how my Deus with my custom settings could hit a 10 inch quarter that my CTX just could not period no matter what setting or combo i tried. I got a lot of mixed posts and finally said that well maybe my coil was bad because peeps just could not believe it. I ended up selling my CTX . I am not advocating every one sell their CTX either , but for me and where i hunt it was a good decision.
Also if you just want to cherry pick for silver the CTX,etrac,se pro are unbeatable. But there again was a problem for me as i got to ignoring a lot of other targets in favor of only silver and i was missing many other good targets.

Also the stock relic program on the Deus was the only program to pass some of my good target mixed in iron tests, i hunt with a modified program.

Good info, thanks for sharing! How much does that larger search weigh compared to 9 and 11 inch search coils?

beephead

Nice report Choppa.

In my area,,with medium mineralized soil,,,using both coils the 9" and 11" ,,,,a zero setting on reactivity is a no no,,,distorts signals.
And using TX power level 3 is a no no,,,again distorts signals.

I'll bet Choppa your area has mild soil,,,not many dots in the minerlization meter when bobbing coil.

I have not used 11x13" coil,,so can't comment.

I do dig deeper nickels than Etrac or CTX can find,,10-11" here in my area using Deus.
Silver dimes as far as depth comparisons about the same.

Well i feel somewhat vindicated by your post, i have posted in the past of how my Deus with my custom settings could hit a 10 inch quarter that my CTX just could not period no matter what setting or combo i tried. I got a lot of mixed posts and finally said that well maybe my coil was bad because peeps just could not believe it. I ended up selling my CTX . I am not advocating every one sell their CTX either , but for me and where i hunt it was a good decision.
Also if you just want to cherry pick for silver the CTX,etrac,se pro are unbeatable. But there again was a problem for me as i got to ignoring a lot of other targets in favor of only silver and i was missing many other good targets.

Also the stock relic program on the Deus was the only program to pass some of my good target mixed in iron tests, i hunt with a modified program.

I also find myself wanting to cherry pick the 85+ signals but force myself to dig anything that is 50+ and reads solid and is 1/2 or less shaded on the horseshoe. Most of the nickels I dug read in the 70's!

Good info, thanks for sharing! How much does that larger search weigh compared to 9 and 11 inch search coils?

beephead

You can definitely tell the difference between the 9" and the 13", not so much between the 11 and the 13 though. To me the machine is so lightweight that it just does not make any difference. I was surprised that It did not feel nose heavy like I expected it to. Not a coil for a super trashy area but with reactivity of 2.5 - 3 it will pick the high conductors out amongst the trash.

Nice report Choppa.

In my area,,with medium mineralized soil,,,using both coils the 9" and 11" ,,,,a zero setting on reactivity is a no no,,,distorts signals.
And using TX power level 3 is a no no,,,again distorts signals.

I'll bet Choppa your area has mild soil,,,not many dots in the minerlization meter when bobbing coil.

I have not used 11x13" coil,,so can't comment.

I do dig deeper nickels than Etrac or CTX can find,,10-11" here in my area using Deus.
Silver dimes as far as depth comparisons about the same.

Yes, very mild soil here in NY for the most part. As far as reactivity I have left it right at 2.5 which seems to work fine. Have dug mere than one coin with iron in the hole at this spot.
As far as TX, the setting of 3 has worked very good in this spot, no mineralization to fight and very little trash compared to other parts of the park. So you really do not "blind" yourself there by using the higher TX settings. @ worked well for me and when I went to 3 it seemed to work so much better. I went from digging Wheaties to digging the injuns so it did buy me some more depth from what I saw.
I was really surprised how high the nickels read going into the 70's but once again a good 2 way signal that was impossible to ignore even at 8+ inches.

Yes, very mild soil here in NY for the most part. As far as reactivity I have left it right at 2.5 which seems to work fine. Have dug mere than one coin with iron in the hole at this spot.
As far as TX, the setting of 3 has worked very good in this spot, no mineralization to fight and very little trash compared to other parts of the park. So you really do not "blind" yourself there by using the higher TX settings. @ worked well for me and when I went to 3 it seemed to work so much better. I went from digging Wheaties to digging the injuns so it did buy me some more depth from what I saw.
I was really surprised how high the nickels read going into the 70's but once again a good 2 way signal that was impossible to ignore even at 8+ inches.

Sounds good Choppa.
In your soil,,,an aka signum MFT or MFD will strike deep,,,turn that boost on and hold on.
Thanks again.

Choppa I live in the Houston Tx area. No bars on my F75 when I ground balance in 90% of the areas I hunt. My ATP can snag 9" dimes with no problem. 10" if the ground is wet from rain. We pull 10" quarters with ease. My F75 pulled a 13" silver quarter in an old school yard. And that was with the Nel Sharpshooter coil not the larger stock coil.

Good to see you getting the depth you never thought you could achieve.

Choppa I live in the Houston Tx area. No bars on my F75 when I ground balance in 90% of the areas I hunt. My ATP can snag 9" dimes with no problem. 10" if the ground is wet from rain. We pull 10" quarters with ease. My F75 pulled a 13" silver quarter in an old school yard. And that was with the Nel Sharpshooter coil not the larger stock coil.

Good to see you getting the depth you never thought you could achieve.

I have hit some pretty deep coins in the past including a 10"+ Seated dime (with my F75) but this is the first machine that has consistently given me those kind of depths. What impresses me is the overall strength of the signal with the Deus, It hits loud and clear on those deep ones.

That is a killer arsenal you've got, Choppa.

Thanks! How are you liking the Sorex Pro? I am VERY impressed with these Russian machines and think they are going to be something big if they ever get their act together and figure out how to market them in the US.

Good rundown Choppa. I keep telling people that the same capabilities that make the Deus great as a relic hunter makes it a great coinshooter. Non-ferrous is non-ferrous, just need to listen and dig.

Good rundown Choppa. I keep telling people that the same capabilities that make the Deus great as a relic hunter makes it a great coinshooter. Non-ferrous is non-ferrous, just need to listen and dig.

I've not used either the Deus or the CTX. I've been puzzled why people say the Deus is great a great relic machine and the CTX is a great coin machine like they lack something on the other targets.

Are they saying the Deus is tuned for non-precious metals and the CTX for silver?

I've not used either the Deus or the CTX. I've been puzzled why people say the Deus is great a great relic machine and the CTX is a great coin machine like they lack something on the other targets.

Are they saying the Deus is tuned for non-precious metals and the CTX for silver?

Honestly I don't know where that logic comes from. People say that about the Deus in general...not necessarily in comparison to a CTX. I can only assume that coinshooting to them means the ability to predict what's under your coil, but as you know soil conditions, orientation, depth, size/shape, etc makes prediction not an exact science anyway....or they are just regurgitating what they read.

Back
Top Bottom