Harbor Freight Pinpointer.!

edgarlild

Forum Supporter
i am getting a harbor freight pinpointer. i cant buy a better pinpointer cuz im out of money but it seems good for beginner and the price is right. what do you think?

for the price ya can't beat them, just make sure you keep the power button clean. thats normally the first thing that goes on them. i had a HF pinpointer for a while and replaced the button and it lasted for quit some time.

I had the HF pointer, it worked for about 2 weeks, then the button started going bad. People kept telling me to just get the Garrett and I did...it is night and day to the HF, but the HF did work for me.

how do you replace the switch when it goes.

4 screws on the back of the pinpointer opens it right up, button pops right out, and has 2 wires. then just find a similar sized button from radio shack. i also cut the speaker on mine and hooked a micro vibrating motor on mine but thats another project :lol:

also when you get the HF pinpointer put a piece of electrical tape (or any tape) and put it over the speaker hole. this will keep dirt out and also quiet it down some.

Mine came with a cover/case and I kept it on while I used it in the field to keep the dirt out of the speaker and power button. I was also pretty careful and ginger with it and had no trouble with mine, I used it for several months as I saved up my clad for a Garrett Pro Pointer. I still have it for a backup in case I would ever have to send in my Garrett for repair.

my switch went out but it was an easy fix,,, it works very well for what it is,,, it will become your best friend while digging,,,,

I've never used the HF, but have read that they are decent, especially considering the price. I've found the use of a pinpointer to be very helpful, so I'd say if you can't buy an expensive one, at least get the HF model.
BB

I've got one too. Works pretty well. Really speeds up recovery time. I did have to replace the switch after three or four weeks. Also added a micro vibrator and a toggle switch to go from audio output to vibrating. Easy to do project. HH

I used one also..good tool..had trouble hearing it with my head phones on..i have bad hearing...but it worked great,,,a good starter machine for sure...helps out a bunch...Buster.....:D

I bought one for my first pin pointer and it was fine until like many others, the switch went catywampus. Then I bought the Garrett Pro Pointer and O.M.G. they are soooo nice. And they're not any more money than it takes to fill your gas tank!:D

I use mine all the time and it has been a month and no problems with the switch so far. Thanks for the tip about taping off the speaker as it is a bit loud! And good to know I can get a new switch from radio shack if the time comes. I might try a toggle if I can get one to fit! Like it better than the push button one.

Picked mine up in New Orleans while there for Mardi Gras 2011. Paid 16 bucks and change for it and regret only getting one but only because the price was so good. I have used mine on probably 30 or 35 hunts since I got it and it seems OK as far as the button. But when it goes out, I'll fix it. And I'll get another HF PP next time I am in a town that has a HF store. We had one in Albuquerque and don't here in Panama City, I sure miss just going in and "lurking" the aisles!

But...someday I might get a Garrett

I use mine all the time and it has been a month and no problems with the switch so far. Thanks for the tip about taping off the speaker as it is a bit loud! And good to know I can get a new switch from radio shack if the time comes. I might try a toggle if I can get one to fit! Like it better than the push button one.

See if you can find a "rocker" switch...

Something like this, may require mod'ing the case though. http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3097457

Or this Push-On-Push-Off switch may fit better. http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2062544&numProdsPerPage=60

The only downside would be accidentally leaving it on and killing the battery. :(

Back
Top Bottom