$%#& You Park Biddy

Only a fraction of the people with a metal detector, or access to a friend or relatives, read the forums online. Recovering targets with an 11" garden spade, is really quick and easy. It's just grass, it'll grow back, eventually, besides, our tax dollars pay to fix such things... <sarcasm>

We all, (except Tom), try to be ethical, and leave things as they were, doesn't always work out as planned, but we made a good effort. I really don't blame the parks people, for trying to do their job, and stay within budget. Doesn't take too many people, to mess things up for everyone else. Their job is to keep the park green, clean, and safe. Don't think many of them outside the hobby, would want somebody messing up their hard work. Even if there are rules, doesn't hurt to ask them.

Harvey, it is implicit in your post, that md'ing, of necessity, damages things. If that premise is true, then yes, my stance is unethical. However : I do not accept that as a starting "given".

If your detecting "damages things", then I suggest you re-visit target-recovery 101 class. ;)

Nah, I doubt she would be in church. More likely she would be in her coffin in her basement, waiting for sunset. ;)

Snort! She was actually nice about it all. Just frustrated me that the county is asking them to inforce it. Or maybe it is the person running the park is doing it. Either way i am going to let it go. Having slept on it I feel better.

BCD.

It's clear that the standard verbage is so you don't take cuttings from trees, dig up flowers etc. Just the lawn mowers tear up the turf worse than we could ever do. Then throw some cleats on and kick around a soccer or football and see all the huge turf plugs laying around. Can I ask what kind of digger you were using?

yeh by the legal wording there I would say they have had a past issue....

Do you mean past issues with md'rs leaving holes ? If so, then be aware that such verbage pre-dates metal detectors. And has just been cut & pasted, as boiler plate verbage, from city to city as templates for muni codes ever since.

Persons could try to cut down trees for firewood, harvest roses/flowers for sale at the farmer's market, cut out sod for use in one's home landscape, etc... Those are the origination of such rules, not detectors.

Not saying that someone couldn't apply such things to us today, but just saying, we are not the origin.

It's clear that the standard verbage is so you don't take cuttings from trees, dig up flowers etc. ...

This ^^

I actually saw a lady trying secretly to cut (with pruner shears) flowers at an upscale zoo-garden place. So it was clear she was getting a free bulb for planting , or whatever it is that garden enthusiasts take to cross/splice with their own. You could tell she was slyly looking both ways, to make sure she wasn't being watched, etc...

This ^^

I actually saw a lady trying secretly to cut (with pruner shears) flowers at an upscale zoo-garden place. So it was clear she was getting a free bulb for planting , or whatever it is that garden enthusiasts take to cross/splice with their own. You could tell she was slyly looking both ways, to make sure she wasn't being watched, etc...
At most parks around here the trees are well kept. The flower gardens look like they are from a magazine. But the grass? Well it is torn up, spotty and trash blowing around. The Squirrels tear up more soil than we can! I made a point of it in one of my videos showing Squirrel holes in the park. Maybe they should maintain the Squirrels and make stew for the town every Tuesday......

It's clear that the standard verbage is so you don't take cuttings from trees, dig up flowers etc. Just the lawn mowers tear up the turf worse than we could ever do. Then throw some cleats on and kick around a soccer or football and see all the huge turf plugs laying around. Can I ask what kind of digger you were using?

Just a hand trowel. To her, apparently it looked like this. :lol:

17-Electric_Rope_Shovel_a.jpg

Man Robby! Can you imagine running one of THOSE rigs up in the Yukon! Parker Schnabel would bust a spring if a fellow showed up with that kind of gear!

If the Chinese go to a 'gold standard' like the chatter on the financial sites, it might pay off!:laughing:
Mud

Only a fraction of the people with a metal detector, or access to a friend or relatives, read the forums online. Recovering targets with an 11" garden spade, is really quick and easy. It's just grass, it'll grow back, eventually, besides, our tax dollars pay to fix such things... <sarcasm>

We all, (except Tom), try to be ethical, and leave things as they were, doesn't always work out as planned, but we made a good effort. I really don't blame the parks people, for trying to do their job, and stay within budget. Doesn't take too many people, to mess things up for everyone else. Their job is to keep the park green, clean, and safe. Don't think many of them outside the hobby, would want somebody messing up their hard work. Even if there are rules, doesn't hurt to ask them.

Really Harv? I see you're still at your ol' tricks. Just can't keep from insulting others to make your point. :nono:

Will you ever learn? :dumb:

I was reading the new list of rules at a park I have hunted in the past. One section states that flowers, bushes, and turf are not to be disturbed. Another section states that hobby devices are prohibited. Last line of the rules state that violating any of the rules can lead to a fine of $300. I skipped detecting at this park & went somewhere else.

"hobby devices are prohibited"

Wow, I guess that would include flying a kite, throwing a frisbee, or even kicking a ball around.

I was reading the new list of rules at a park I have hunted in the past. One section states that flowers, bushes, and turf are not to be disturbed. Another section states that hobby devices are prohibited. Last line of the rules state that violating any of the rules can lead to a fine of $300. I skipped detecting at this park & went somewhere else.

Is that park in Freedom, PA? If so, residents should petition for a name change to Nofreedom, PA. :imo:

Great thread!
Great way to keep it civil mostly.

I got into it once with a "parks" guy, I had a copy of the ordinance, but did not tell him I had it, but I was within my rights.
I still walked away and came back in about an hour.

I do not think there is much to be gained by arguing with those who think they know better than us.
They will take it up the ladder faster than we will becuase they have done it before.
They probably have their alderman on speed dial:lol:

Back
Top Bottom