advice needed on detector purchase

fredsanford

I?ve been detecting for around six years now, but still consider myself a newbie. There?s just so much to learn about it, that it can be a little overwhelming. I?ve owned three detectors. A Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, a Bounty Hunter Fast Tracker (currently in use), and a Fisher 1225X. Although the Fast Tracker is the cheapest of the three, I like it better than the Fisher, which I paid close to $300 for. The Fast Tracker is lighter, easier to use, and discriminates at least as well as the Fisher. The Fisher probably did go deeper, but I?ve gotten dimes at 8 inches with the Fast Tracker, which I?m satisfied with. Most of the stuff I?m looking for is going to be within the first 8 inches anyway. I?d like to upgrade and I?m willing to spend $300-$400. Most of the hoopla I read about detectors seems to stress how deep they will go. I?m much more interested in getting the best discrimination I can get for the money spent. In that price range, is there a detector that will really sort out a ring from a poptop, or do they mostly have a lot of bells and whistles that don?t actually do very much? Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Welcome to the forum. Can't really help you with that question. I think if there was such a machine, we'd all have one.

HH

Rich

I agree. Aluminum is an evil that we must live with, unfortunately. It is a shame that such a good metal is so close to a bad metal, in a detector's brain.

I'm getting the impression then, that such is the current state of detector technology, that there is nothing out there that will reliably, consistently discriminate poptops from rings, no matter how much you spend. All the bells and whistles don't do any more than what I accomplish by turning the descrimination knob up or down on my Fast Tracker. I see that there are many specialized units for things like underwater searching and gold prospecting, but as for general treasure hunting and coin detecting, it looks like I'd be wasting my money by buying anything more than what I already own.

I guess that's a safe assumption, but I really don't know. and I have often wondered about it myself. I predict that one day, there will be a machine that will isolate aluminum. Probably will cost a pretty penny........

What I'm really looking forward to is the day when they can apply the technology used in MRI (magnetic resonance imaging) in metal detectors. Imagine! Not only would you know what the target is, you'd be able to read the date on the coin before digging it up.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Well, there is the Garrett 1500 & 2500 detectors. They can't tell you what the date is on a coin, but they can give you an idea of how large the item in the soil is. On my detectors, pop-cans and can-slaw can register on the meter like a quarter. So I've got to probe/dig to find out if it's a quarter or not. Somehow, the 1500 & 2500 can indicate the size of the target - which would save a lot of probing/digging in trashy areas. (I imagine those machines would still be fooled by pull-tabs and bottle-caps.) I haven't used the 1500 or the 2500. They do sound nice but are a little above the price-range you're looking for.

You mention probes. Maybe you can answer another question for me. I see probes that look like just long metal rods with pointed ends. How can you tell what the target is, or even locate it, just by sticking that in the ground?

You mention probes. Maybe you can answer another question for me. I see probes that look like just long metal rods with pointed ends. How can you tell what the target is, or even locate it, just by sticking that in the ground?

Once you get used-to using them, you won't want to be without one. Before I started using them, my detector would indicate a quarter was in the ground. Then I'd cut a large plug and pry it up. Sometimes I'd find a quarter, sometimes I'd find a flattened pop-can or a chopped-up can (can-slaw). Now, before I dig, I'll push the probe into the ground to see if I can feel the quarter. If I push it in the ground and hit something that feels like metal, I'll pull it out and then continue to probe around that spot. If I feel that same metal at the same depth and it covers an area that's wider than a coin, (and I'm in an area that is likely to have burried cans), then I'll declare it a can and move on - without digging a hole.

You can also use the probe to pop the coin out of the ground - without digging a plug. (This works best when the soil is wet from heavy rain. Yesterday I found about 20 coins and popped them all out with my probe.) First you've got to feel the coin in the ground with the probe. Next you kind of slide the probe across the coin and slide off the edge of it. Then you try to work the probe under the edge of the coin and move it to the surface. (The part of the probe in the soil won't move far. The part of the probe above the ground will move a lot, and it will slice across the soil.)

Another method I use is to first find the coin with the probe. Then swirl the probe around - kind of making a round cone-shaped hole. When I can see or feel the coin, then I move the probe to the edge of the coin and pry it out. (Many times today, I was glad I had my pin-pointer with me; once you get that coin on edge, it's easy to lose track of it in the mud.)

If the coin is already on edge before you start to probe, it is very hard to find without cutting a plug. If the soil around the coin has pebbles in it, it is very hard to tell the difference between a rock and a coin.

Coin popping is easy to do if the coin is lying flat within a few inches of the surface. The deeper it is, the more difficult it will be.

A long/thin/flat-head screw driver with rounded edges works well as a probe. (Last winter I was using an awl (or is it an ads?) as a probe. I put deep slices in a few zinc pennies that where frozen in the mud. You don't want a sharp probe.)

If you have your metal detector owners' manual, you might find coin popping explained in the back of it.

Thanks very much for taking the time to give me that very detailed explanation. I will get myself a probe and start using it immediately.

I found is it is all down to personal preference which machine works best for you.

Yes, but how does one arrive at a personal preference? Unless you are wealthy enough to buy one of each kind, try them all, and decide which one works best for you, you must reach that decision based on your research. What I'm trying to learn, before making a purchase, is which detector is going to give the best discrimination in my price range ($300-$400).

I have used and owned many types and grades of detectors. My favorite is Tesoro Silver uMax, which falls into the price range that you mentioned. It has great discrimination qualities and depth capability. It is an audio-only machine. I have researched the Garrett Treasure Ace 250, and it has the visual and audio features. It sells for around the 250.00 mark. The reviews that I have read for this machine are impressive. It seems to offer alot for the price. The Tesoro Cibola will cost a little more, but you will have rugged reliability, and everything you need, except the visual graphics. I would stay with one of the major brands, as they are all competitively marketed, and one may be about as good as the other??

I've noticed that some really top end detectors are audio only. I'm wondering how important is a visual display. Does it really do anything besides what the audio does anyway? Is it just to make it seem like you're getting more for your money?

Visual displays are another aid to help you guestimate what's in the ground. Some people (and I'm not one of them) find that audio is all they need. Steve in southwest Arizona has never used a machine with a display and is approaching 10,000 coins for the year (as well as a whole lot of bling). Maybe his sense of hearing is better than mine - maybe his machine produces more sounds than my 'sound only' machine. My Tesoro Silver Umax has no display. I've only used it 6 hours in volleyball courts with no discrimination set. At this point, I think coins give a slightly louder and sharper sound than trash - but I can't be sure. (In the sand I scoop everything anyway - doesn't matter much in that case.)

I wouldn't think of using that machine in soil. My other 3 machines have displays as well as sound. When I find a target with one of them, I'll scan the target again and watch the display. If the target displays the same way each time I scan, then I will usually probe/dig and some times I pull-up a coin, sometimes I pull-up a bottle-cap. If I scan a target and the display shows something different each time or shows multiple ID's, if I'm in a trashy area, I'll figure it's can-slaw and leave it alone. (Could be I'm missing good stuff doing this, but I get tired of digging trash.) Since I use these 3 detectors more than the tesoro, I can hear more difference in sound between target types. Quarters are extra-loud and sharp on my Garrett machines.

Some of the more advanced detectors will let you flip between types of display info. (Never used one - maybe a DFX user could explain how a target can be examined with that machine.)

I think whichever machine you choose, you will have a learning curve to slide down. The more you use the machine, the more farmiliar you will become with it. (And you and I might have the exact same machine, but since we learned apart and on our own and on different land containing different amounts of trash and good targets, you might interpret one sound&display combination as something that should be dug, and I might take that same combination as something to ignore.)

I know you don't want to spend a lot of money on a machine only to find-out you don't like it. There are people who love certain machines I have tried but can't stand. I do OK with machines they'd probably snicker at. If you've got a machine you like, take care of it and keep using it.

Well put, Billiard...

I am just as confident with my Tesoro as I am with my Minlab Explorer. But using a numerical reference ID will usually let you know whether you have a bullet or not when relic hunting. After finding alot of one kind of target with a visual, you can usually predict what's going to come out of the ground. That DOES add a little extra to the hunt. However, I like the audio-only Tesoro for it's light weight and simplicity. Having bad arthritis, this is a good alternative. If I were able to hunt with a metered machine like I used to, I would still be using one, probably. But, as folks have mentioned, it's whatever you get used to...................

Back
Top Bottom