looking for minelab SE tips

grnpt_dtekr

i recently upgraded to a new minelab explorer se from the exII. spent the past few days out in the parks out the with machine and testing it out and getting a feel for it. Pinpointing takes some getting used to on this machine, very different than the older model.

Im looking for tips, program and settings from more people who have spent some time with the machine and are willing to offer up some "gems" knowledge wise from working with the machine. I primarily hunt in parks and am looking for deeper/older coins, but wouldnt turn down the occasional piece of jewelery and clad coins.

thanks in advance!

GD

I'm new to the SE myself, and don't have any experience with the other Explorers, so about the only thibg I can offer is this link to an Explorer SE forum:
http://www.thetreasuredepot.com/cgi-bin/minelab/minelab_config.pl
and this link to a website:
http://www.minelabtips.com/

I usually pinpoint by watching the depth indicator, and at it's shallowest point, the target should be at the center of the coil. Others have said they pinpoint by moving the coil away or towards themselves, and when the signal dies, the target should be about an inch outside the coil.

HH

Hello GD!
Welcome to the SE Owner's Club!

I've said a lot of nasty things about the SE since I took delivery of the girl back on April 21, of this year. And, I meant every word! But, I like her now and she's found a permanent home. Here's how I set mine up:

All Metal Mode (no digital discrimination) other than
IRON MASK ON-22
SOUNDS -Conduct
SENSITIVITY-manual-16-18
RECOVERY (FAST-NO-DEEP-NO)
GAIN 6-8
TONE -VARIBILITY-7-8 LIMITS-8
RESPONSE-normal

Be sure to save your settings in USER A.

I would suggest ignoring all the disc. patterns in the manual; they're uuuless IMO. Also, plan on forking out more dough for the SunRay probe. :)

RB

just wanted to update this post after logging lots of hours with the minelab se this summer, maybe someone who is just starting to use the machine will find it helpful.
After checking out lots of posts about other people preferred settings, these are the best settings so far for hunting in semi trashy parks with modern trash, and very little iron.
After starting to use these settings, i went from digging targets in the 4-6" range to 7-12" range.

sounds-conductive
sensitivity-manual starting at 22- up to about 27 with stock coil, higher with 8"coil
gain-7 or 8 depending on how trashy the area is
variability-10
noise channel-5
discrim patterns- accept coins pattern only.
response-fast off, deep on
audio-normal

dig all tones until you become familiar with where they fall on the digital or smartfind window. digital id reading will be off. swing slow since the deep setting takes more time to recover from targets. a probe like x-1 or pinpointer will be VERY important if you get past the 6" range unless it doesnt matter where you are digging.

thanks to Sergi and WHthesting for all the tips!

happy hunting everyone

Back
Top Bottom