Central Texas newbie found a 1919s wheat penny

CenTexDetector

Hey everyone! Im Chance, just recently moved back to my hometown of Belton, Tx. Bought myself a Garrett AT Pro a few days ago and have gone out 3 times already for a total of about 6 hours. Had a blast and I'm already hooked. Found a few coins and a lot of bottle caps. When I got home, I cleaned up the coins I found and check this out. Got a 1919s Wheat Penny! At least I think thats what it is. If anyone else has better info, let me know!

Attachments

• IMG_4788.jpg
    IMG_4788.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 252
  • IMG_4789.jpg
    IMG_4789.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 176
Last edited:
Welcome from South Carolina and congrats on the wheat penny !!!!

This AT Pro video series might be of help, here is part 1 of a 4 part series they made, after part 1 you should see where you can click for part 2 and so on -

Thanks everyone!!!

When you guys find things like this, are you more likely to find similar aged items in that same area or was this just a lucky find?

This was at a local soccer field park, buried about 8 inches beneath the surface

Thanks everyone!!!

When you guys find things like this, are you more likely to find similar aged items in that same area or was this just a lucky find?

This was at a local soccer field park, buried about 8 inches beneath the surface

Congrats and to answer your question yes/no/maybe/probably not or Probably........:lol: just too hard to tell who dropped , when they dropped it or how long it had been in circulation prior to dropping.

Thanks everyone!!!

Welcome aboard Mr. Newbie!:grin: If you find ONE wheat penny...could be anything. If you find TEN wheat pennies...you better keep looking,as that would start to indicate that it’s not a fluke drop and that the dirt under the field,for whatever reason,is older. Take a look online at some mapping and see if that field was in use as a rec field several years ago. You’ll want to find sites that date from the 1950’s and before to start reliably finding older(and silver) coins. If you can access OLD BASEBALL FIELDS you will have a very good shot at finding silver coins.
Have fun! Dig nice plugs,replace them properly,cart away any trash you dig...yadda yadda yadda. Some people catch the bug badly,others don’t. If you do,this forum will be of great help in about every way you can think of.
The biggest piece of advice I can cram down your throat is this....GO USE YOUR MACHINE! ALOT! Videos and reading are great help to begin with. After that,how well you know your machine will ultimately dictate how well you do in a certain site. Get to know it WELL!:yes:

Hello from the Waco area. You will find that the ground has been there for a long time. The trick is to find places where people have congregated. That field was most likely located where there was an old building. Two days ago I hunted an old house where I have already hunted in the past. I found a 1911 V Nickle and a 1906 Indian Penny. Objects change in the ground so even though others have hunted there including you the next time you hunt you may find something missed.

Back
Top Bottom