do i have all the right gear???

ToxicDetector

Hello!:grin: ive just really gotten into metal detecting(after finding a Tiffany & Co. at my local river side). ive been hooked:lol: so, i was wondering if i need anything else for my detecting setup. I have... AT pro metal detector, headphones, AT pro pin pointer, and camo Garrett find bag... and if you all could tell me WHAT GLOVES i should use??? they need to be waterproof... thanks! :cool:

Welcome to the fun. ;-) I just bought 4 pairs of Husky heavy duty leather work gloves for $39 at home depot since my old ones wore out. Also you may want a lightweight shovel, a beach scoop, a hand digger tool, maybe a headlamp for late night/early morning work, some cleaning tools like a small brush, a soft wire brush, a spritzer bottle, and spare batteries ( or a rechargeable battery pack.

Oldest coin- 1950 S wheat penny.

Thanks JaMo! didnt think about a headlamp...:detector:
No worries. I started out using a flashlight and realized i had a headlamp in my garage, or rather, 3 of them. much better. keeps the hands free.

Do you have a digger yet, such as a lesche? You might also want to bring a screw driver (if you're looking for modern coins. You can use the screwdriver to 'flip' shallow coins out of the ground without making any mess.) A drop cloth (an old cloth) might also be useful if you're digging a plug so you can catch any dirt you dig out.

Also consider spare batteries, perhaps insect spray and I also bring a backpack with me for things like a spare coil, a small first aid kit (you never know!), water, food etc.

And maybe consider wearing cargo pants. They've got loads of pockets so you can get all your gear and accessories organised! Good luck! :)

Whats the rarest thing youve found JaMo???:bling:
"Valuable" rare? Probably the intact (except for wooden hardware, of course) late 1800s single shot pistol I found in the mountains of Idaho.

I detect in the PNW but I entered a youtube contest and won a chance this past July to go to an old ghost mining town NE of Boise.

The pistol is the cover photo of my detecting fb page titled Tough Run Metal Detecting. Not to hijack this thread, but here is a link to it in case anyone wants to like and follow (any support is appreciated!):

https://www.facebook.com/toughrunmetaldetecting/

Cargo pants yes thats a must.... :yes:
Or a fishing/hunting vest. Just found a "new" one in my garage that I got as a christmas gift a few years ago but never used [sorry Mom and Dad!]. But definitely something with lots of pockets.

Do you have a digger yet, such as a lesche? You might also want to bring a screw driver (if you're looking for modern coins. You can use the screwdriver to 'flip' shallow coins out of the ground without making any mess.) A drop cloth (an old cloth) might also be useful if you're digging a plug so you can catch any dirt you dig out.

Also consider spare batteries, perhaps insect spray and I also bring a backpack with me for things like a spare coil, a small first aid kit (you never know!), water, food etc.

And maybe consider wearing cargo pants. They've got loads of pockets so you can get all your gear and accessories organised! Good luck! :)
Or a moderate sized frisbee (in lieu of the drop cloth).

I hate water.

Use my AT Pro for dirt and parks. Had it wet once. I use a cheap pair of mechanics gloves. May want a 5x8 coil, the stock coil is too sensitive.

I use a light padded kneeling pad folks use for working in their garden so I don't get my knees wet or dirty or cause pain kneeling on hard surfaces.

Hello!:grin: ive just really gotten into metal detecting(after finding a Tiffany & Co. at my local river side). ive been hooked:lol: so, i was wondering if i need anything else for my detecting setup. I have... AT pro metal detector, headphones, AT pro pin pointer, and camo Garrett find bag... and if you all could tell me WHAT GLOVES i should use??? they need to be waterproof... thanks! :cool:

I use the heavy duty black nitrile gloves from Harbor Freight. THey're reusable (I usually get about 4-5 hunts out of a pair), and they are 50 gloves for about $9. A box usually lasts me close to 6-7 months (usually because I use them for garage work, too, making them last less long!)

For winter time, I switch between using a rubberized insulated glove, and just putting on an extra pair of black nitrile (double gloving). I've used cotton gloves over the black nitrile as well.

For me, I've tried the various leather gloves, mechanics gloves, etc... and found that once they get wet, it's nasty. Even underwater the nitrile work great, since they're tight enough that water doesn't get in, and protect from incidental glass and metal. The black ones are TOUGH.

If you're digging on land, I also strongly recommend you get a Lesche digger (or one similar... I've tried MANY diggers, though, and Lesche has been the best for me. Strong, doesn't break/bend, or flex. The offset handle allows you to use both hands for strong leverage (if you're right handed, grasp the red handle with your left, and use your right hand palm to push and guide, using the flat shelf above the blade).

Cheers,

Skippy

Here's the set up I use. I hunt mainly fields, forests, old buildings/foundations and occasionally fords. We walk alot and are up and down constantly so I consider comfort essential. Besides my CTX :
1 Lesch digger and a Sampson 31' Tee handle

2 Pants, Duluth Trading Co, Flex Firehose work pants with integral knee pads.

3 Duluth suspenders for the pants and a pair of their extra heavy duty suspenders for my "work belt"

4 Work belt, 2 " nylon work belt from home depot, Kobalt or equiv. On this belt I hang my Lesch holster, my AT pro pointer holster, and my Garret camo bag. In the zipper pounch of the bag..a spare 9 volt for my pro pointer.

5 If it's going to be an exceptionally long or hot day, a separate water bottle holder hangs off the back of my work belt, you can squeeze a cliff bar in there with the water.

That's it, you can carry everything you need, the pants have a ton of pockets. With the suspenders, the pants never droop and you don't even know the work belt is hanging there.

Gloves, I use inexpensive work gloves from home depot. Plenty of dexterity and when they wear out, grab a new pair.
Last but not least. Throw a folded wad of paper towels in a sandwich bag and put them in your back pocket. When nature calls, you're covered.

I carry my Sampson in my non swinging hand. Never a problem.

Back
Top Bottom