Trying to ID this percussion cap hammer.

ShaneD

I found this in the Savannah GA area. I was looking at common percussion cap guns of the civil war era. This side plate doesn't match any long gun I've seen so far. Any ideas what this may be from? I'm assuming this is rusted in the cocked position and the hammer hasn't rotated 180 degrees.

Thanks!

attachment.php

Attachments

• hammer.jpg
    hammer.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 878
I found this in the Savannah GA area. I was looking at common percussion cap guns of the civil war era. This side plate doesn't match any long gun I've seen so far. Any ideas what this may be from? I'm assuming this is rusted in the cocked position and the hammer hasn't rotated 180 degrees.

Thanks!

attachment.php

Hey. I'm around Savannah if you're ever looking for someone to hunt with hit me up.

Hunt Savannah all the time. Good spots if you know the right people and where to go. Been a lot nicer temps lately too! GL and HH

Spencer Carbine lock

Hey. I'm around Savannah if you're ever looking for someone to hunt with hit me up.

That is a Spencer carbine (or rifle, less common) lock. Do not confuse it with the large receiver part. The lock was separate. See pic.

Attachments

• SpencerLockDetail.jpg
    SpencerLockDetail.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 271
That is a Spencer carbine (or rifle, less common) lock. Do not confuse it with the large receiver part. The lock was separate. See pic.

Looks dead on to me. Great ID. And great find to the OP......

Back
Top Bottom