What to look for before rolling my own...

robby4570

Elite Member
As I sit here rolling my coins, all modern, I don't know what to watch out for on the more modern coins. I know the obvious like wheaties and rosies and IH's, but is there anything special like pre 1983 pennies are worth more than post 1983 or a particular minting of a certain coin, etc.?

Thanks!

"Modern coins" hold little interest for me.....there are billions and billions being made out of almost worthless metal.......therein lies the real truth about our country's financial status.........

Dusty

Why in particular have you focused on pre- and post- 1983 coinage?

In general any dime, quarter, and half that is 1964 and earlier are 90% silver. In 1982 the mint put our pennies that were both zinc and copper. There some Ike dollars that are silver and some not. These are just a few things about some U.S. coins.

Get a good book about U.S. coinage and start boning up on coins. There are many many modern coins that have collectible value. But there isn't any rule of thumb that covers it all. ;)

G.

"Modern coins" hold little interest for me.....there are billions and billions being made out of almost worthless metal.......therein lies the real truth about our country's financial status.........

Dusty

I saw on Discovery channel a while back about minting coins and how it costs about 3 cents to make a penny...mind boggling :facepalm::?:

might wanna keep an eye out for 2009 dimes and nickels since there was a low mint rate that year

Why in particular have you focused on pre- and post- 1983 coinage?

In general any dime, quarter, and half that is 1964 and earlier are 90% silver. In 1982 the mint put our pennies that were both zinc and copper. There some Ike dollars that are silver and some not. These are just a few things about some U.S. coins.

Get a good book about U.S. coinage and start boning up on coins. There are many many modern coins that have collectible value. But there isn't any rule of thumb that covers it all. ;)

G.

Thanks Bentfork, that was the kind of tidbits I was looking for!

I saw on Discovery channel a while back about minting coins and how it costs about 3 cents to make a penny...mind boggling :facepalm::?:

Economies of scale. To make 1 penny might cost a couple thousand dollars. To make 1,000's of pennies the cost goes down. To make millions of pennies, the cost per penny is most likely extremely less then 1 cent. This is how statistics are skewed in the interest of the person doing the study. There are factors that are not considered to give the owww wow factor.

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned error coins. Just research which years to look for. One time I found a 1996 double-die obv. penny in change.

Check out "The Cherry Pickers Guide" it list dozens of current collectible coins, mainly mint errors.
I have found several State Quarter errors and a 1992 quarter without a mint-mark. Also look for the wide "AM" on 1998-2000 pennies.

Check out "The Cherry Pickers Guide" it list dozens of current collectible coins, mainly mint errors.
I have found several State Quarter errors and a 1992 quarter without a mint-mark. Also look for the wide "AM" on 1998-2000 pennies.

:agreed: Just picked up a copy a few weeks ago and I found an IH penny that was double struck in my collection. Would have never saw it if I didn't have the book.

I know one of the new quarters I think it is 2004 Wisconsin d that has three variations some are more valuable I thinks they have an extra leaf or something. I think you can google valuable coins in circulation and it should help to ID some others HH

Back
Top Bottom