coins turned red

minerals in the ground. Nitrogen fertilizer will do it also (I just learned this last night from another forum)

Great question, I have a handful sitting right here that are very red and all out of the same park. Could it be from chemicals in/or fertilizer?...Curt:grin:

Thanks for the info, do you know what cleaner I should use to get the red off of them?

I ran mine through a tumbler two times and some came clean and some didn't. I had someone tell me to soak them in olive oil, which mine are currently soaking. Time will tell if that works or not.

What part of Ohio are you in?

I ran mine through a tumbler two times and some came clean and some didn't. I had someone tell me to soak them in olive oil, which mine are currently soaking. Time will tell if that works or not.

What part of Ohio are you in?

I live in north east ohio, most of the red coins came from soil that was really wet. It was a practice field for the football team.

I thought it had to do with clay, too. All my clad today was more orange/rust than red. Dang near solid clay. I bet that keeps the fertilizer from seeping down. Kinda gives 'em a bath in the fertilizer I guess. I'd had luck with the tumbler. My bank lobby has a coin machine. This machine doesn't care what color they are!:lol:

I just make sure they're clean.

i pulled some out of a park today. There was springs seeping out of a hillside. The coins closest to the springs had the brighter red tint. in the sand away from the springs, no red tint at all.

I've pulled some out of the sand at the salt water beach that are red so I have no idea what it could be

i hunt a lake that has a high alkalinity. the coins are often red and or the silver gone and nothing but a copper planchet left. A guy that works at a plant on the lake say the Alkalinity is high and eats out pipes at the plant..:?:

Back
Top Bottom