black "rocks"

gorrillafish

I've been detecting in my back yard, 1910 house, and I keep getting hit or miss signals. When i dig them, it's always these black layered "rocks" they set off my pinpointer but they're not really metalic. Anyone know what they are?
Thanks

Hot rocks

I have these small piles of "hot rocks" underground in my area that always ping around 88-91 with very solid reproducible hits and I always feel obligated to dig them because you never know what it is. It's very annoying and I'm still trying to find a way to stop digging them up. Iron Audio shows nothing...it's a very clean signal. Frustrating to say the least!

I occasionally get them with my Ace 350. They ring up in the coin range. It seems as though I only get them near old home sites or old roads. I thought that they might have been some sort of manufacturing byproduct and mixed in with other stuff for use as backfill material. I don't know of any natural geological process that would deposit this kind of thing in my neck of the woods.

Check for meteorites

If they are black and heavy, as well as magnetic, you might have a meteorite. They are rare, but it's a posibilty

People heated with coal back then in some places. It's probably from the coal klinkers/slag. I can pull the klinkers out of my stove and sometimes they are "hot" and will set off the detector (but not always). I experimented with I first got my ACE 350.

Back
Top Bottom