"Ghost" beep?

hawkusmc

I am using my wife's ACE 250 as she is laid up with a broken ankle.
This was my first time out, not to dig, just to get a feel of the machine.
I noticed, while sweeping, I would get a beep on the low side of the scale, I call it the "junk" side. I'm in the all metal mode because I'm just learning.
The beep will not repeat after sweeping left to right or fore and aft over the same spot. It did this several times over a period of about an hour and in different locations. That's why I call it a "ghost" beep. Any ideas?

The 250 is set up with pretty high sensitivity (Rx gain) for an entry level machine. Sensitivity that's a bit high on any detector will give you a "ghost" beep once in a while.

My wife hates "ghosts" and will usually crank the sensitivity down a notch or two when she starts getting them. Around here in the mountains of California, the ground is highly mineralized. She often hunts the 250 on the second bar to quiet it down. Your soil may not require that much of a reduction though.

Swinging the coil too fast or uneven ground can cause ghost hits too , not sure why....but Ive learned to just disregard non repeatable hits. This detector is very well known for false hits and disappearing targets. Fortunately it is also really good at finding real stuff , so I excuse its little quirks.

I also have an ACE 250 an have learned to ignore low end ghost beeps that are not repeatable. However, if I ghost on the coin side of the display, I DIG! There have been a few times where the signal disappears after I have started digging. I think it has something to do with the coin being so deep, all you are seeing is its "halo." I keep digging and usually, a very deep coin (or on-edge coin) suddenly appears in my pile! I didn't use to keep digging and now I wonder how many deep coins I have missed because of it.

My 2 cents...when I hear a 'Ghost Beep' I crank up the sensitivity and DIG no matter what!! I have pulled up a LOT of junk that way...BUT...I have also pulled up rings! It only takes a moment to dig 'em.

Ghost beeps are frustrating... I would get them whether i am running 2 bars or 8 bars of sensitivity. I would try to dig them and come up empty handed. I dont know if it was because I was finding pipes or what buried a foot or more below me, but usually they were in the junk range but would shoot to silver and back real quick.

"Ghost" or

non-repeatable beeps on a swing cycle indicate an iron trash signal to me when in any mode other than All Metal. Flip to All Metal mode and resweep. Resweep slowly if you must, but the trash should now be easily heard.

Pull tabs??? They repeat bothways ALL DAY LONG:shock:

I also have an ACE 250 an have learned to ignore low end ghost beeps that are not repeatable. However, if I ghost on the coin side of the display, I DIG! There have been a few times where the signal disappears after I have started digging. I think it has something to do with the coin being so deep, all you are seeing is its "halo." I keep digging and usually, a very deep coin (or on-edge coin) suddenly appears in my pile! I didn't use to keep digging and now I wonder how many deep coins I have missed because of it.

Thank you for your service and thank you for the tips......I'll try that.

Back
Top Bottom