Searching Cracks

Brian

Elite Member
Had a quick trip down to the quayside as I was told that a shingle bank was exposed. Unfortunately as is often the case it was dumped on, not stripped down to, so apart from a couple of modern coins it was a waste of time.
The inner habour wall has tall ladders attached so you can climb up and moor. The pointing between the large stone blocks has disintergrated so was being raked out and re done.  I asked if I could check the gaps with my detector and as they thought I must be mad and they had better humour me I was allowed.
Total result one modern coin, one brass three penny bit (1955) and a nice condition (if you ignore the hole) 5 Kopeck of 1833. I assume whoever was wearing it climbed off the top of the ladder and his medallion dropped in the slot and ripped off the chain.
One warning. They seem to have lots of metal in parts of harbour walls and you really need a screwdriver with the end curved to lever coins out with. I only had a straight one out the car.
If you ever get the chance to detect old cobbled areas they pick up coins like magnets. Also there's street drain systems that discharge into rivers. Lots of coins under the outflow pipes.
(Picture is about double life size...a huge coin)

Attachments

• scan0003.jpg
    scan0003.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 195
Back
Top Bottom