First large cent

tom

I found my first large cent in a 20's school field,its in crummy shape especially on the obverse,but it's my oldest find thus far so it's exciting.No photo- I lent out my camera.Any hints as best to clean it up?

tom said:
I found my first large cent in a 20's school field,its in crummy shape especially on the obverse,but it's my oldest find thus far so it's exciting.No photo- I lent out my camera.Any hints as best to clean it up?

Welcome to the forums tom !  :grin:.......and congrats on your find !

There are plenty of hints in the "Cleaning Your Finds" forum in this same board, i.e. Everything About Finds.
You'll find recipes for copper and silver coins and everyone seems to have their favorites. I've hard copied quite
a few over the past year for my metal detecting scrap book..........I'll try to pm some of this to you one day this week.
Meanwhile, you may wish to check out the above mentioned forum.

Todd

Great going Tom. I've only found one of those to date and I about fell over when it came out of the ground at only 2 inches. I thought it must be a soda can at first. Good job! :grin: :grin:

I personally would not do anything more to it that a good toothbrushing [with soft bristles] with dish soap & hot water, rub with soft cloth, repeat until hopefully you can at least get a date.
After that I would soak it in olive oil for months, and give it another toothbrushing and see if any progress was made.
There are really no good ways to clean an old dug copper without trashing it, and trying to make it into something it is not.
Post a pic when you can [scans work just fine too if you got a scanner].

Congrats on an awesome find. I'm with Xray on the cleaning. The least you can get by with until you are sure it's not a key date or rare variety. There can be dozens of variations in a single mint year.

The most effective method I've found for cleaning old coppers is electrolysis. http://www.detectorsplace.com/treasure/clean/

Monitor the process every 15 minutes and stop when you like the way it looks. Don't be afraid, this is what professional restorers do. You can even reverse the process and recolor the metal.

Try soaking in olive oil for a week or so then a very light brushing if at all. The oil will nutrilize the oxidation and loosen some of the scale and crud. good luck.

Back
Top Bottom