First fake 925

GroundSweeper

Forum Supporter
By fake I mean stamped 925 and not.

Found this today on a soccer field sideline. The necklace loop (?) is marked 925, so in the field I figured “cool, finally another 925, been awhile”.

But back at work with the loupe only the necklace loop was marked, the turtle body had that “look” of fakeness so figured, hey least the loop is silver. The middle ring is magnetic.

At home, broke out the acid, and surprise! Even the necklace loop marked 925 is fake.

In the test photo, left to right: known sterling bracelet, 925 marked necklace loop, and turtle body. Honestly I don’t know how to read this, thought silver was supposed to turn red :?: it sorta does on the edges of the know sterling streak. But look at the test sctratches, silver color, followed by two brass streaks :lol:

Oh well, it was awesome being out even if it was hot and smoky! Had been a few days, so it was fantastic. Pulled in maybe $2 / clad.

Attachments

• 1C38ECCF-6D0A-445D-A095-D120534A4147.jpg
    1C38ECCF-6D0A-445D-A095-D120534A4147.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 255
  • 130EA10A-0123-4FF0-87D8-1FE64FE70550.jpg
    130EA10A-0123-4FF0-87D8-1FE64FE70550.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 233
  • D3544DA6-5046-475C-AFA6-3407EF887C1E.jpg
    D3544DA6-5046-475C-AFA6-3407EF887C1E.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 230
I have trouble with the acid test for sterling. My kit has an acid for silver, but the amount of silver is indicated by the shade of red, or red/brown. Red, brown, and green happen to be the hardest colors for my colorblind eyes to differentiate. I can't make out much from your test photo either. I did watch some YouTube vids that showed sterling silver scratchings will turn milky white with the 14K acid. You might try that. Much easier to see.
(the part marked 925 is called a bail)

I think your acid might be old possibly..

Trade era cross..

<°)))>{

Attachments

• IMG_20150525_033925.jpg
    IMG_20150525_033925.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 191
How cheap do you have to be to fake that small of an amount of silver?

Dang, that's bad they have to fake $0.50 worth of silver...

<°)))>{

I’m thinking someone cobbled together this pendant, dunno - but for sure the “925” loop is not silver - after taking it to the stone I can totally see brass on it. Same for the turtle body and it not being marked at all made it suspect at the get-go.

Da heck is that about???

BCD

Fake! :lol:

That’s crazy!

I’ve read on here about silver and gold fakes but never found one until this.

I have trouble with the acid test for sterling. My kit has an acid for silver, but the amount of silver is indicated by the shade of red, or red/brown. Red, brown, and green happen to be the hardest colors for my colorblind eyes to differentiate. I can't make out much from your test photo either. I did watch some YouTube vids that showed sterling silver scratchings will turn milky white with the 14K acid. You might try that. Much easier to see.
(the part marked 925 is called a bail)

I think Ice is right and my acid is probably old. I could see a little red outline on the real silver test, nothing at all on the brass.

I think your acid might be old possibly..

Trade era cross..

<°)))>{

I think your spot on. And I think that cross is amazing.

How cheap do you have to be to fake that small of an amount of silver?

Maybe they were trying to pass the entire piece off as sterling. Or, someone linked together the definitely not silver turtle with a steel ring attached to a fake 925 loop. The loop is soldered closed so surprised me, but the scratched side is clearly brass/copper color. Same with the spot on the turtle I scratched on the stone.

Only posted to see what was up with the acid mostly, I think Ice is right, old.

Happy hunting!

It may have just been silver plated. Was there anything marked after the 0.925, like "925p?" If it's imported, there are some countries where the people are so poor that a tiny bit of silver adds up quickly. So they fake it. The same type mentality that causes them to lie about lead free paint in children toys, poison in dog food (from preservative?), fake MD's, etc.

This thread got me thinking and I tested some of my silver. I normally don't test silver since it is so easy to visually tell in person. That being said I tested 3 different pieces of silver I had with my silver solution and none of them turned red. 2 turned yellow and one turned brown but these are for sure silver or the heaviest tin in the world. lol

Bummer, you don't see much stuff stamped that is fake silver. Now gold is a different story. But like Ice said, maybe your acid is old. I've had mine go bad before.

Back
Top Bottom