Buckle, Injun & Berries

matmit

Elite Member
Forum Supporter
I was out for a short hunt the other day in a spot where I found 4 injuns in one hunt last year:D
I only hunted for about 30 minutes before the mosquitos started gnawing.
In addition to another injun, I found this beautiful buckle at over 8" deep (using the AT Max with stock coil)
Any ideas if it is older than 1880's?

As I came around a corner I noticed a tree full of Mulberries:shock:
Oh how I love these, when we were kids, my brother and I would climb a tree 4 houses down and gorge ourselves on these:D
I brought a few home to share with my son and while he did not share my passion for them, he did eat a few.

Going back tomorrow morning to get some more.

Happy Hunting Everybody

Attachments

• 7-3-18 Buckle.jpg
    7-3-18 Buckle.jpg
    126.6 KB · Views: 387
  • 7-3-18 Mulberries.jpg
    7-3-18 Mulberries.jpg
    101.8 KB · Views: 359
  • 7-3-18 Mulberries & Buckle.jpg
    7-3-18 Mulberries & Buckle.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 396
  • 7-3-18 Buckle & Injun.jpg
    7-3-18 Buckle & Injun.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 385
  • 7-3-18 Buckle & Injun rev.jpg
    7-3-18 Buckle & Injun rev.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 369
Great finds - especially the mulberries; they look delicious! It's that time of year... Garrett and I have been enjoying harvesting the raspberries in our yard, and I'm looking forward to picking gooseberries when they ripen near the end of the month. :yes: Hope yours are especially tasty!

Nice indian! And cool buckle. Those mosquitos have been brutal latelly for me too. One of my bites is the size of a golf ball!

Into the 1800's with another beautiful Indian .
Great work Matt . I have not found one for a wile and I'm getting jumpy.
,Dew

Pulling an Indian out of the ground always makes for a good hunt. Nice digs!

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Some real good digging and some very fine eating. Congrats on the Indian and the Buckle. Love mashing Mulberries in sugar and cream then applying it to a shortcake. Sweet memories. Trapper

I have a mulberry tree in my backyard....my father and my son love them...they're not for me though. But, since you had such good luck, when I get back from Ontario, I'm going to hunt around it :)

Dumb question

Sorry I’m naive...how can you tell that the tree was a mulberry? I think I have several on my property but have been hesitant to try them.

Sorry I’m naive...how can you tell that the tree was a mulberry? I think I have several on my property but have been hesitant to try them.
Honestly I had to Google mulberries. I'm from New England and I think we would simply call them blackberries, but I'm not certain. There's nothing on the trees like that in NW Florida.

Great finds - especially the mulberries; they look delicious! It's that time of year... Garrett and I have been enjoying harvesting the raspberries in our yard, and I'm looking forward to picking gooseberries when they ripen near the end of the month. :yes: Hope yours are especially tasty!
Thanks, yes they are tasty
Nice finds Matt!
Thanks Tom
Nice indian! And cool buckle. Those mosquitos have been brutal latelly for me too. One of my bites is the size of a golf ball!
Four more bites tonight doing yardwork!
Into the 1800's with another beautiful Indian .
Great work Matt . I have not found one for a wile and I'm getting jumpy.
,Dew
#9 for the year, not nearly as many as last year (hit over 50)
Nice hunt Matt and cool finds.
Thanks
Pulling an Indian out of the ground always makes for a good hunt. Nice digs!

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
I do love me some injuns:D
"Going back tomorrow for more" detecting or berries? :laughing:
I stopped today and filled that container in less than 10 minutes, TOTALLY ripe now

Love those mulberries should be getting ripe around here .
Goe get 'em
Some real good digging and some very fine eating. Congrats on the Indian and the Buckle. Love mashing Mulberries in sugar and cream then applying it to a shortcake. Sweet memories. Trapper
Thanks Trapper, I will be trying that tonight
I have a mulberry tree in my backyard....my father and my son love them...they're not for me though. But, since you had such good luck, when I get back from Ontario, I'm going to hunt around it :)
Good luck
Nice Indian!
Thanks
No need to be sorry, I used to eat those every summer when I was a kid. I call them Mulberries, I'm not even sure what they are. They didn't kill me then, so they won't kill me now:lol:
That is a real nice buckle and Indian Head.
Thanks, I'm thinking the buckle is 1870's -1880's?
Honestly I had to Google mulberries. I'm from New England and I think we would simply call them blackberries, but I'm not certain. There's nothing on the trees like that in NW Florida.
Well, now I have to Google it too

If you are having troubles with MOSQUITOS there is something that will take care of that,,,,, Spay Listerine Mouth Wash around you and on you,,,,, That will take care of them

First, let me say congrats to Mat on another Injun and a cool looking buckle. I love the mulberries too. Only the ripe ones! Never had 'em as a kid.
One way I learned to spot a mulberry tree is the dark purple circle under the tree, when the berries are dropping. You see this on the sidewalk when driving by. I should probably have a bumper sticker that says "CAUTION: This vehicle brakes for mulberry trees"

If you have a moderate size tree; dropping berries around this time of year; that look like blackberries, like in Mat's photo, usually loaded with a lot of them, then you have mulberries. They taste sweet. I don't think you're supposed to eat the red ones, though. Dark and soft are ripe.

We call them rasberries on the coast of NC. Anyway-whatever you may call them I love them!!!

Great finds as well!

Back
Top Bottom