First hunt!

GoldenRecord

Hey everyone,

Figured I'd post the results from my very first hunt on June 28th. These were from a school field - was testing out my new machine.

I'll post the results of my second trip once the finds have dried. I went to an iron-infested beach, and picked up some coins. Unfortunately, almost every single one has corroded right through the plating. I don't know if any of them will be usable.

Attachments

• IMG_1428 edit.jpg
    IMG_1428 edit.jpg
    150 KB · Views: 245
Thanks!
I was pretty happy with them for a first outing. That green painted steel plate is quite thick - I'm guessing it's off a tractor mower or something.
The round disc is also really heavy - probably lead.

Thanks!

This is from my second hunt at the beach. I was kind of surprised to find so many coins in a relatively short stretch. Too bad they're all so corroded.

I had quite a bit of trouble with rusty iron - it all sounded pretty good, even with the discrimination cranked, so I was relying on size/shape of targets more than anything else. I had to use the machine on the 'high' ground balance setting, due to the salt. I realize this isn't the best tool for damp/wet saltwater beaches, so I was pretty happy with its performance regardless. There were a couple of areas where I could pick up the transition boundary between sand that was still wet and the dryer stuff with the detector - there was a repeatable signal along the line. The beach I hunted is one of those ones that 'disappears' at full tide though (water comes up to a retaining wall), so the sand was still completely wet once you dug down an inch or so, even at low tide.

The long bar in the middle seems to be solid copper, so I guess that's a good find.

I have a bunch of finds cleaning up in soapy water from my third hunt in a local park right now, so I'll post those soon. Got a lot more interesting things from that one :D

Attachments

• IMG_1459 EDIT.jpg
    IMG_1459 EDIT.jpg
    191.4 KB · Views: 98
Back
Top Bottom