• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

educate me on this dollar coin

Corben

one of my customers hand me a few dollar coins to buy groceries this morning. this one caught my eye.

Attachments

• pixlr_20180627125853706.jpg
    pixlr_20180627125853706.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 249
looks like the gold color was painted on but its stayingnon the coin real good.

Dollar coin education

Looks like the gold and silver plate coin from the Morgan Mint. It was issued as a collectible coin.

looks like the gold color was painted on but its stayingnon the coin real good.

No, Sacagawea dollars have an all around golden tone to them. Including both the core and outer layers, the overall composition is 88.5% copper, 6% zinc, 3.5% manganese, and 2% nickel. The golden tone from the manganese copper alloy.

The real question is what did they do to the coin to make it silver looking except for the bust?

Dollar Cion

No, Sacagawea dollars have an all around golden tone to them. Including both the core and outer layers, the overall composition is 88.5% copper, 6% zinc, 3.5% manganese, and 2% nickel. The golden tone from the manganese copper alloy.

The real question is what did they do to the coin to make it silver looking except for the bust?

Thats why I said it was a collectible coin from the Morgan Mint. They have one up for auction on E-Bay. Looks just like it. Silver background with gold bust.

Thats why I said it was a collectible coin from the Morgan Mint. They have one up for auction on E-Bay. Looks just like it. Silver background with gold bust.

I'm gonna agree with Hollis.....We find all sorts of standard issue Sac Dollars in the totters, but I've never found one looking like this..Gotta be some sort of special Mint series......

I was thinking that at first, but upon closer inspection, to me it looks like the silver was added as the gold is not the neatest around the wing tips on the reverse. :D Also, it is a Philadelphia mint-mark. However, coins like this are not my specialty... :laughing:

the goldenness on mine is so sloppy compared to that. they didnt stay in the lines.

ohhhhh i get you! makes sense.

I think Hollis and Gary called it. But you are right Corben, the coin you got is different!

Back
Top Bottom