1866 indian head penny value?

cliff1992

I found this coin on an old farmstead about 10 " down. It reads 1866 and I'm not too sure on the value. It's dirty and stained , but the outline is good and it actually isn't worn down really, just dirty. But anyways, just wondering what it's worth. uploadfromtaptalk1429997125983.jpg

That is not a very common year but unfortunately it looks pretty corroded but that isn't a very good picture as well. So maybe it's better than it looks. That damage will certainly affect the coins value. I am not a big Indian head cent guy but I would say maybe in the $10-15 range.

Check out eBay completed/sold items are to see what some of them are selling for.

You sure have an indian honey hole where ever you're digging these up! I'm jealous! I get excited when I find a wheat cent. :lol:

It looks worse in the picture bit it is a little worn. It looks better on the wheat side. I've found quite a few indian heads here but most are in bad shape

It looks worse in the picture bit it is a little worn. It looks better on the wheat side. I've found quite a few indian heads here but most are in bad shape

im saying more than that about $30 soak in olive oil for a few days take a tooth brush over it with some warm water should come out clean

Here are 2 I found this week

Attachments

• IMG_20150425_115851_265.jpg
    IMG_20150425_115851_265.jpg
    22 KB · Views: 647
  • IMG_20150422_194744_725-1.jpg
    IMG_20150422_194744_725-1.jpg
    104.5 KB · Views: 647
Don't soak in olive oil, it will darken the coin, and olive oil is acidic. Unless you can neutralize the acidic effects, over time you know what can happen.

Better to use mineral oil.

My 2012 Red Book says it's worth $50, at the lowest grade (G4), which deals with how worn the lettering and detail. Doesn't go into dirt and discoloration. They haven't made them in a very long time, but new collectors are made everyday... It's worth what one of them is willing to pay for it, certainly more than a penny and postage...

My 2012 Red Book says it's worth $50, at the lowest grade (G4), which deals with how worn the lettering and detail. Doesn't go into dirt and discoloration. They haven't made them in a very long time, but new collectors are made everyday... It's worth what one of them is willing to pay for it, certainly more than a penny and postage...

The Redbook is not a really good price guide...just a relatve guide...especially a Redbook as old as 2012. If it cleans, then check ebay sold values, then you have a ballpark figure. It may only have "hole-filler" value until a collector can afford to upgrade.

Being a "dug" coin really lowers the value. Collectors want coins that have been sitting in a box for all these years, not found with a metal detector.

Hey while were on the subject of IH is this 1863 on worth anything
(That I found on my school parking lot in 5th grade)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 488
the coins posted are not worth much, corroded coins are worth very little in the numismatic field.

They will be worth more to you than anyone else.

Back
Top Bottom